This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Miyazaki

edited June 2007 in Anime
I thought he deserved his own topic, I searched and there wasn't a dedicated Miyazaki thread so I took the initiative (it had nothing to do with the literature review that is getting increasingly monotonous I promise).

My first introduction was Totoro in Japanese class when I was in primary school, this was back in the days before DVD and the copy we had had no subtitles and was in Japanese, despite my immense lack of skill with the language I was still able to pretty much get the idea.

I liked Spirited Away but I really don't think its his best, I don't really have a reason, it just didn't appeal to me as much. This could be because the friend I went to see it with hated it.

I'd also seen Kiki's delivery service at school.

I was really excited when my local video store got DVDs of I think six of his films. Two on each disc, I went in and hired them, watched the ones I'd seen before again and reveled in their beauty and sweetness. Watched the ones I hadn't seen (I think it was Princess Mononoke, Porco Roso and Laputa) and thought they were great.

Then I put in Grave of the Fireflies, this was when I was living on my own, and I knew nothing about the film. I expected a nice little film about nice things with a nice happy ending. I WEPT LIKE A FUCKING BABY! That film literally crushed me, probably because I wasn't expecting it to be sad, but it was the most crushing thing I'd seen in such a long time. Great movie though.

Comments

• Then I put in Grave of the Fireflies, this was when I was living on my own, and I knew nothing about the film. I expected a nice little film about nice things with a nice happy ending. I WEPT LIKE A FUCKING BABY! That film literally crushed me, probably because I wasn't expecting it to be sad, but it was the most crushing thing I'd seen in such a long time. Great movie though.
    Grave of the Fireflies isn't a Miyazaki. It's Studio Ghibli, but not Miyazaki. Most Studio Ghibli works are directed by Miyazaki, but not all of them. That doesn't mean that the non-Miyazaki movies are bad though. Whispers of the Heart is a great example.
  • See how uniformed I am. I always link them together.
  • It's not your fault linking them together, while Studio Ghibli was created to show off the works of both Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, the latter hasn't put out a film for quite some time so he has fallen into the shadow of his companion. In recent news he is going to be making a new film so that is something to look forward to!
  • I liked Kiki, Spirited Away, and Laputa.

Naussica and Mononoke Hime didn't appeal that much to me.

I think Howl's just feels like more of the same.
  • My personal favs of Miyazaki are Cagliostro and Porco Rosso. I could watch those two movies forever.
  • I think Howl's just feels like more of the same.
    Howl's is based on a book by Dianna Wynne Jones, not really a pairing that instantly springs to mind. Maybe that's why it feels a little different.
  • edited June 2007
    I loved Nausicaa, but, after reading the manga, I can no longer watch the film. Mononoke Hime and Porko Roso are currently my favorite of his films. Howl's, as One Sin stated above, was pretty meh.
    Most Studio Ghibli works are directed by Miyazaki, but not all of them. That doesn't mean that the non-Miyazaki movies are bad though. Whispers of the Heart is a great example.
    And don't forget about the awesome Pom Poko.

Also,
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Then I put in Grave of the Fireflies, this was when I was living on my own, and I knew nothing about the film. I expected a nice little film about nice things with a nice happy ending. I WEPT LIKE A FUCKING BABY! That film literally crushed me, probably because I wasn't expecting it to be sad, but it was the most crushing thing I'd seen in such a long time. Great movie though.

Grave of the Fireflies isn't a Miyazaki. It's Studio Ghibli, but not Miyazaki. Most Studio Ghibli works are directed by Miyazaki, but not all of them. That doesn't mean that the non-Miyazaki movies are bad though. Whispers of the Heart is a great example.

Amen to that my friend
  • My favorite Studio Ghibli's movie is really torn between either Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart. I liked Nausicaa I enjoyed the plot, characters, and whole Sea of Decay concept. I liked Whisper because unlike Nausicaa it has a setting and plot that could (though not likely) actually happen as well as characters that people could possibly relate to. I really enjoy all the others, but not so much as the latter two.
  • The first Miyazaki film I seen was Mononoke Hime. I was a noob at anime at the time so I took an instant liking to it. My feeling after all those years still hasn't changed for that film.

I love My Neighbor Totoro the most. It makes me feel like a kid again and I plan on showing this to my little cousins. I alrady shared Kiki's Delivery Service and I created little Ghibli fans. I never got my tape back to this day. LOL.

I liked Spirited Away but it didn't give me the same feelings that the rest and Laputa did. Same goes for Howl's Moving Castle. They are loved movies by me but also my least favorites.

I also loved the heck out of Porcco Rosso. I need to see that again.
  • Spirited away was the first anime I saw (the second was Akira and the third was Tokyo Revelation, eugh*shivers*..) and it was kind of by chance that my sister saw it in a magazine and we went, saw it twice.
  • My favorite Miyazaki movie has to be a tie between Whisper of the Heart and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
  • I think my favorite might actually be Totoro -- at least the old dub, before they stuck Dakota Fanning in there. I've never seen any animation treat children so realistically. Also, it's just crazy cute.

I'm seeing a lot of titles I don't recognize in this thread. I guess I need to bone up.

Grave of the Fireflies (though we've established it isn't Miyazaki) was really disappointing to me. I was expecting to be all crushed and moved to tears -- I'm totally a big baby about that stuff -- but for some reason, it just didn't connect with me.
  • My favorite Studio Ghibli's movie is really torn between either Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart.
    My favorite Miyazaki movie has to be a tie between Whisper of the Heart and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
    You already told us that. Don't bump a thread for the sake of bumping it.

As for me, I haven't seen every Miyazaki movie there is, thus I cannot say which I find best. I have seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. I'd have to say that Princess Mononoke is the best of those three in my opinion.
  • My favorite Studio Ghibli's movie is really torn between either Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart.
    My favorite Miyazaki movie has to be a tie between Whisper of the Heart and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
    You already told us that. Don't bump a thread for the sake of bumping it.

I honestly don't remember typing that, but that was quite a while back. I think it also should be noted that I have a really poor memory when it comes to remembering things that I did when there wasn't anything significant that occurred around that same time.
  • edited April 2008
    So far I've only seen Totoro, Howl's, and Kiki's Delivery service. IMO, all of them were mediocre at best. Totoro just wasn't up my alley. Too little dialog, I think.

One other big issue I have with Miyazaki movies:
    Backgrounds- godly pretty
    Character artwork- awful

I mean, take Howl for example:
    http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/10/04/howls_moving_castle_050928042932722_wideweb__300x409,1.jpg
    It's just so generic...

I'll make up my mind on Miyazaki in general once I watch Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, though.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • If I may, how is that awful artwork? I would contend with that just being a matter of taste. I for one am quite fond of Miyazaki/Ghibli character designs and artwork; I like their simplicity and warmth. But that's just my opinion.
  • I mean, take Howl for example
    But he is such a beauty man!
    mediocre at best
    Taste: You got none. At least I've got the film critics on my side.

Do watch Princess Mononoke. If I could credit one thing with my decision to become an animator, that film was it. It inspired me probably more than any other film has. Spirited Away is also amazing, probably Miyazaki's best.
  • edited May 2008
    If I may, how is that awful artwork? I would contend with that just being a matter of taste. I for one am quite fond of Miyazaki/Ghibli character designs and artwork; I like their simplicity and warmth. But that's just my opinion.
    It's just the character designs that I have a problem with. They just seem ugly compared to 90% of the anime out there.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • It'sjustthe character designs that I have a problem with. They just seem ugly compared to 90% of the anime out there.
    I agree with gomidog, Howl has good character designs. Tell us, what character designs do you like?
  • edited May 2008
    It'sjustthe character designs that I have a problem with. They just seem ugly compared to 90% of the anime out there.
    I agree with gomidog, Howl has good character designs. Tell us, what character designs do you like?
    Bebop, Death Note, Samurai Champloo, FLCL, among many others.

And actually, I liked Howl's character designs better than Totoro's and Kiki's. I was just using it as an example.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited May 2008
    And actually, I liked Howl's character designs better than Totoro's and Kiki's.
    Reverse is true for me.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • How can you not like Calcifer character design?
  • Calcifer: too cute~!
    Where do I say that?
    Where do I say that?
    I think he was talking to me.

And actually, I do like Calcifer. I didn't like Sophie at all, though.
  • It'sjustthe character designs that I have a problem with. They just seem ugly compared to 90% of the anime out there.
    Again, personal taste. You see ugly, I see realistic and loveable. Not really enough justification to call Miyazaki character art "awful," as that's a very objective-sounding word. "I hate that style," would fit better, since it's clear that that's your opinion talking and it's not something you're presenting as true across the board.

Anyway, I'm probably being a stick-up-the-ass about that point, so I'll shut up now. Ahem, Miyazaki FTW!
    Calcifer: too cute~!
    MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

And on that topic, who is the best Miyazaki character in your opinion? I'd say the main guy in Princess Mononoke, and Chihiro in Spirited Away.
  • Ashitaka and Nausicaa are my favorite characters. They embody some of wonderful ideals: Strong, yet compassionate; calm, yet able to fight. Nausicaa is a pacifist, but being committed to that philosophy demands that she be stronger and more steadfast than almost all of the people around her. She is not perfect, she loses her temper and lashes out from time to time, but she is a really "GOOD" person.
  • Best Miyazaki character? Balls of soot.