This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070620 - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Comments

• Rym said for the n00bs to watch what? Air and a Pure Heart for You FIRST right? Just in case, for closure and such, right?
  • So, I finished watching the Eva series with the alternate endings. I must say, my dreams of ever piloting a mecha kinda died with Eva. Well, at least piloting an Eva, I would still like to get my hands on a Veritech fighter though. It almost made me cry, but I didn't 'cause sometimes I'm just a bastard. Strangely enough though, I cried after Onegai Teacher and Onegai Twins. I'm also trying to find Unrated versions of Air Gear.

Oh, and Hi all, I'm new to the Forums ^_^
  • Huh.... I just wrapped up Episode 26. Huh.

On to the movie, I guess... Can't wait for the final thoughts. Can. Not. Wait.
  • I can't remember them actually ever doing a final thoughts show. Did I blank out? Did I miss something big?
  • Something I thought of during the podcast but didn't remember 'till now. A lot of stuff and anime in particular can be better understood with the simple phrase Immanentize the Eschaton. But remember, the Wikipedia page is no excuse not to read the Illuminantus! trilogy.
  • edited July 2007
    I can't remember them actually ever doing a final thoughts show. Did I blank out? Did I miss something big?
    They never actually do final thoughts episodes, it's just something they like to talk about.
    Post edited by ironzealot on
  • I can't remember them actually ever doing a final thoughts show. Did I blank out? Did I miss something big?
    I think they did one on Big O?
  • *Sigh* I really hope that they do one for this. I THINK I understand the end of the series, but jesus...

Where can I find this thin pack for "20-40" dollars? Granted I'm Canadian, but 100 bucks on Amazon is some fuckin' bulllshit.
  • edited July 2007
    *Sigh* I really hope that they do one for this. I THINK I understand the end of the series, but jesus...

Where can I find this thin pack for "20-40" dollars? Granted I'm Canadian, but 100 bucks on Amazon is some fuckin' bulllshit.
    I managed to snag the platinum thin pack for $45.00 US off Amazon.
    Post edited by ironzealot on
  • I just started watching Eva and I'm hooked after three or four episodes. Once this torrent fully finishes, marathon here I come!
  • Brace yourself. I did, and I was still floored.
  • The wife is leaving me for an all girls weekend so I'm thinking I may marathon it this weekend. My friends are really down on EVA so I've never watched it . . . we shall see.
  • I finally got to listen to this episode and I'm in the middle of my first viewing of Eva. (I just finished ep 14 so things are about to hit the fan.) I'm really enjoying it and your discussion (excellent analysis without spoiling it) made me even more motivated to watch the rest of it (and I realize I'll have to watch it again.) I also now have to scare up the alternate eps 25-26.
    I'd love to introduce it to my Friends with a marathon viewing but many of them have young kids I'll have to do it in shorter bites.
    That's again!
  • One day there will be a box set affordable enough for the likes of me and I will finally get to add EVA to my growing giant robot collection. Oddly enough, I watched all of EVA on VHS as well!
  • One day there will be a box set affordable enough for the likes of me and I will finally get to add EVA to my growing giant robot collection. Oddly enough, I watched all of EVA on VHS as well!
    We bought the platinum slim-pack for really cheap.
  • Thats good news. I have also been seriously considering buying the Cowboy Bebop collection as well. My days of single volume purchasing have officially ended.
  • Has anyone bothered to watch the new Eva movie?
    edited May 2008
    Has anyone bothered to watch the new Eva movie?
    I downloaded it, and watched till the first fight, it's pretty much the same thus far, only with less scenes and updated graphics. Like more 3D models used and everything updated a bit to look better. It's the first out of the four movies for The Rebuild of Evangelion for those who don't know.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited May 2008
    I downloaded it, and watched till the first fight, it's pretty much the same thus far, only with less scenes and updated graphics.
    I actually thought it was the tv show, and that some one had put out a bogus torrent (for the lulz). It was shot-for-shot exactly what I remembered from the first episode. I had to fast forward to the new Lilith design and the badass Cube angel to convince myself that it actually was the Rebuild.

Hopefully the next epi- er, movie will have more variation from the show, what with the introduction of Kaoru and the new Evangelion units at the end of the first.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • edited May 2008
    I skimmed through it, and only watched whole scenes where there was actually new material (e.g.: Central Dogma, the fight with Ramiel, the scene at the very end). Overall, I thought it was stunningly pretty, and I think I might actually prefer the slightly updated and slicker character designs to the originals. I am also a big fan of the changes and 3D modelling made for Ramiel (the big blue polygon with the drill). Just... oh mans, SO PRETTY. OH GOD. :D

Here is a very good side-by-side comparison at Ex-fansubber showcasing the differences between the original TV series art and Rebuild: http://www.minaidehazukashii.com/hinano/2008/04/25/evangelion-movie-101-a-visual-comparison/

Story-wise, it was a little boring for me to watch, as I've already seen the original series episodes that this movie corresponds to a few times over now. However, I could definitely see that the storyline, rather than being crunched and rushed like I had feared, was actually more polished and easier to digest than the original. As a review at Anime Diet said, "The movie has 'second draft' qualities that are immediately apparent to anyone familiar with the show. Foreshadowing of later plot elements, such as SEELE, the Instrumentality Project, Lilith, and Kaoru now appear much earlier and much more clearly - clear to the point, in my opinion, of near-obviousness. The 'made up as they went along' nature of the original is gone entirely." If Anno's goal with these movies is to excise all the extraneous parts of the original Eva and subtly refine it so that it becomes a more accessible, well-constructed story, then I think he's done a good job. It's still yet another attempt by Gainax to milk the Eva cash cow, which I'm not entirely comfortable with, but I think it's a good product despite that.

On the downside, some of the seiyuu performances weren't quite as up to snuff as I had hoped. This was particularly true for Kotono Mitsuishi (Misato), who sounds much older and more tired overall. Also, Eva 01 just sounds silly when roaring now, as opposed to the truly chilling roars it gave in the original series. Shinji, Rei and Gendou were all fine, as far as I could tell; they either got very close to or equaled their performances in the original.

Looking forward to some of the things promised in the second installment of this series, namely the introduction of Asuka, finding out who the new glasses-wearing girl is, seeing more Kaworu, and learning the purpose of the newly designed Unit 06.
    Post edited by Eryn on
    edited May 2008
    I skimmed through it, and only watched whole scenes where there was actually new material (e.g.: Central Dogma, the fight with Ramiel, the scene at the very end). Overall, I thought it was stunningly pretty, and I think I might actually prefer the slightly updated and slicker character designs to the originals. I am also a big fan of the changes and 3D modelling made for Ramiel (the big blue polygon with the drill). Just... oh mans, SO PRETTY. OH GOD. :D
    I cannot disagree with any of that. Good stuff. Everything got updated very nicely, slick and shiny.

Also, here's a comment from that first site that I totally agree with (though with less fanboyism):
    Me to my friends: “zomg the new Eva movie is so awesome the blue-diamond Angel does origami now”
    And here's a better (imho) comparison 'review'.

Now all we have to do is wait for Scrym to voice their opinions about this remake.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Thanks for the link. I like that he focused more on the backgrounds and lighting, though I also like the first comparison review's focus on the character drawings.

I'm really curious as to why the Lilith in Central Dogma sports a different mask now. The original "Lilith" from the series being on the moon at the end only confuses me more. Can't wait to see where they're going with that. o_O
  • I'm really curious as to why the Lilith in Central Dogma sports a different mask now.
    IT'S HORRIBLE INDEED, AAAAAAH! *hides*

And I doubt they'll put that part with Lilith being on the moon in the 4 movies. Seeing as they'll be adding a few more Eva's and have already ditched an angel, or made a very big mistake (spoiler)(Ramiel being the 6th angel instead of 5th as in the series).

Either way, what are your thoughts on the accessibility of Eva now that these movies are coming out? Who else thinks this might result in Eva being more advisable as an anime to those who have seen few anime?
  • The part with Lilith on the moon is in this movie. It's at the very end, when SEELE wakes up Kaworu on the moon - we see the original series Lilith along with him. Thus, I'm not sure what to think. Is the creature in Central Dogma really Lilith? If so, then why is the TV series Lilith up on the moon? If not, then what the hell is it? o_O I have a feeling this will have something to do with why the numbering of the angels has been changed.

Anyway, I think that if the new movies continue on this route and don't fuck up the storytelling in any major ways, they'll be much more accessible than the original series. As that Anime Diet review points out, the story's really being tightened up and eliminating the shakier, more irrelevant parts from the original. One of my main problems in trying to introduce the series to others is that it takes too damn long for Eva to stop being just a better-than-average robot show and rise to that consistent level of true greatness most people remember it for (takes about 14 or 15 episodes). This way, just the juiciest bits remain (none of the bland filler), and even more little juicy bits are added to better foreshadow the later parts of the story.

Even taking story out of the picture, the animation is just so much nicer to look at. That alone could draw some people who haven't seen Eva before to watch the new movies. Not that the original animation was ugly or bad, but it did seem very flat and bland (colour-wise) a lot of the time. Also, as pointed out in the second comparison review, character faces were often off-model and/or otherwise distorted in the original, and that seems to have been fixed at every turn in Rebuild.

Also, considering Anno's not nearly so depressive currently (at least from what I've heard), this may be an attempt to remake Eva in such a way that it's more satisfying for viewers to watch overall; meaning it won't end up being just a therapeutic outlet for him. If this is true, we could end up with a conclusion that's more satisfying than either the "congratulations" ending of the TV series or the "everybody dies" End of Eva movie. I'm really looking forward to seeing what that 4th movie (which is supposedly going to be entirely new content) is going to be like. :D
  • *watches the end again* HOW THE F*** DID I MISS THAT!? O.O
    [spoiler]
    Thief! It's not like you'll look cool by copying me. :p Now, silliness aside. I've only seen the TV series once, but what was the stuff with Adam again? Perhaps there's something there? Truly weird stuff yes, this also proofs, again, that one should pay a really fricking lot of attention when watching something like this, Eva. Hmmm... it's Friday, I have no school on Monday. Perhaps I should re-watch all of Eva.

Further I agree with all the other stuff you said, I poked through the first episode after watching the entire movie and honestly could not remember anything about Misato and Shinji being lost. Then I said to myself "This part sucks and is completely useless, damnit." And I will state again, damn those visuals are good.

Side-topic, new design for Unit-01, better or worse? I like it better, the old design was good, but now that I've seen the new design I have to say the old one looks bland. Boring even. As for Unit-00, was that much different?
  • Maybe we should do our Final Thoughts: Evangelion. I've seen the show enough times... ^_^*
  • Maybe we should do our Final Thoughts: Evangelion. I've seen the show enough times... ^_^*
    YES PLEASE! :D
  • edited May 2008
    But it looked like such a convenient and professional spoiler tag. And I improved on it a bit, too! ;)

I forget most of the explicit details about Adam, Lilith and the First Impact. I'll have to re-watch those episodes (or read up on the Wikis and Eva websites). All I remember is that [spoiler, ha ha!]Adam is some kinda embryo, and that it was originally a surprise that the thing on the cross was Lilith, not Adam[/spoiler, suckah]. And if either of those points is wrong, it just shows you how long ago I saw those episodes.

Speaking of Adam and Lilith: did you see the spooky white "Lilin" in the preview for the second movie? Wonder what those will be for.

Design for Unit-01: I think there's just a bit too much neon green on the new one, but the original didn't have enough neon green. They just couldn't find a good balance in the colours. XD; I do like that the green parts glow in the dark now, though. It made the first battle all the more striking. Oh, and I wasn't sure what to think of the fact that [spoiler, foo'!]you can clearly see Unit-01's organic-looking fingers for a little while[/spoiler, LOL]. I first thought "No! Don't show that this early on!" and shook my head. But who knows, maybe with the way the story has been reworked, it'll end up being for the better in the end. I have no idea.
    Maybe we should do our Final Thoughts: Evangelion. I've seen the show enough times... ^_^*
    Aww, but then we'll have to wait longer for Final Thoughts: Utena.

Just kidding. I'd love to hear Final Thoughts: Eva. ;)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Speaking of Adam and Lilith: did you see the spooky white "Lilin" in the preview for the second movie? Wonder what those will be for.
    You mean those 4 ghostly figure thingies? One having 3 eyes? They are preceded with a black screen with the word "Adams" on it, and after it we see "Lilin+?". What I found 'shocking' in the preview was Unit-02. With 4 eyes!

About the fact you talked about, eh, (spoiler)they looked very human-like, with nails and all. I found it an interesting thing to see, though they should've been burned to some degree, how did you think the armor melted? And if you 'complained' about that, what did you think about (spoiler)the test-Eva? You could clearly see its brain, which suprised me a ton.
    But it looked like such a convenient and professional spoiler tag.
    Thanks.
    And I improved on it a bit, too! ;)
    Not at all. :p The ending tag is redundant, I tried it, found it to be useless. The square brackets also look meh compared to parenthesis imho.
  • Having not seen the TV series in a while, I enjoyed the new OVA/movie/episode/whatever-the-hell-you-want-to-call-it. The animation was high quality, and they glossed over the awful Shinji-in-emo-mode bits, which was nice. The "new" Angel was also pretty cool to watch and the lack of Asuka made me smile. I would have say it is at least as good as it should be, if not the outstanding quality of the TV show.