This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tintin

GeoGeo
edited May 2008 in Manga/Comics
What is your opinion on the classic comic book series known as Tintin? If you do like the series, then what is your favorite story? If you don't have a sole favorite story, then name your top 3 favorites. If you have both never heard or read the Tintin series, I strongly suggest that you go to your local bookstore and pick up a story, I guarantee you won't be disappointed if you do. Word of advice though to anyone who has read this post and is thinking picking up a story it's important that you start at the very beginning of the series, because it is very much a chronological series.

Personally, my favorite story is Tintin and the Blue Lotus. My reason for liking that particular one is that while the plot is spectacular, there is a lot of political and historical depth to it, and I really like any kind of literature that incorporates that specific style of storytelling.

Comments

• I never was amazed at Kuifje (the Dutch name for the series, thus I'll use it being the proud idiot Dutch-guy I am.) sure, the few books I read were nice, the TV series was decent to good, but nothing amazing. The best parts are/were the car chases, and those weren't that spectacular. I have seen the movie of Kuifje and the Blue Lotus a few times, but do not recall much from it. I do know that it wasn't amazing either.

An important thing, it's been a long while since I read or saw anything Kuifje related, the second important thing that ties in to this is the knowledge that the things from the past are always looked back upon as being greater than they actually were.
  • I haven't read Tintin in so long I can't remember which one is my favorite. I now must pick them up again.
  • Tintin the comic book was awesome, and still is. Aside from the inaccuracies of the first few (Tintin at one point drills a hole in a rhino and blows it up with a stick of dynamite while hunting in Africa) and the awful one where he goes to the USSR, the stories are almost always exciting and interesting, and it's one of my favorite comics ever made.

Tintin the television show, on the other hand, is mediocre. The English dub is awful (the French dub is where it's at), but it does a good job of animating the comics faithfully.
  • Tintin the television show, on the other hand, is mediocre. The English dub is awful (the French dub is where it's at), but it does a good job of animating the comics faithfully.
    While the TV show was good, it really irked me when I discovered that Snowy never talks at all.
  • I loved Tintin! I think my favourite would be Destination Moon.
  • Tintin was a good part of my childhood. The first I read was in French, and I bought a bunch of other English books.

Definitely a series that Geek Nights should review.
  • edited May 2008
    I have many fond memories of Tintin from my childhood. It was the only comic that the library carried.

To hijack the thread - does anyone remember the books (and subsequent BBC series) called "Tripods." I was soooo into that as a kid.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Tintin was a good part of my childhood. The first I read was in French, and I bought a bunch of other English books.

I second that.

I second that.
    I'll third that motion.
  • I've always wanted to read TinTin, but it isn't published in an efficient format. They have these hardcovers that each have three adventures in them. However, they are very expensive, and there are many of them. They need some budget sofcover omnibus option, then I'll buy it.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2008
    I've always wanted to read TinTin, but it isn't published in an efficient format. They have these hardcovers that each have three adventures in them. However, they are very expensive, and there are many of them. They need some budget sofcover omnibus option, then I'll buy it.
    If money is an issue, than just buy the tall versions of the books which have a single story in them. However, if you want an omnibus of the stories than you'll probably have to wait for about 5+ years for that. Should they release an omnibus, I would be quite disappointed as the Tintin books are both neither fun nor the same without color.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I've always wanted to read TinTin, but it isn't published in an efficient format. They have these hardcovers that each have three adventures in them. However, they are very expensive, and there are many of them. They need some budget softcover omnibus option, then I'll buy it.
    You local library should have the Tin Tin books,just look in the childrens section. I've borrowed quite a few of them from the library and have a few more to read.

The books are ok.They're not awesome but they aren't bad either.The show/cartoon on the other hand is pretty good.
  • Tintin was completely awesome when I was a child, and they still have a ton of entertainment value, but I think the character of the stories and the world they inhabit has always been the big deal for me. I've always been partial to King Ottokar's Sceptre, as well as the Secrets Of the Unicorn / Red Rackham's Treasure combo for some awesome Haddock action.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2008
    To anyone who either cares or doesn't know, I've just found out that next year Steven Speilberg and Peter Jackson are releasing the first of a trilogy of motion capture Tintin films. The following list of statements are confirmed by the two directors themselves

1: Some 17 year kid named Thomas Sangster will portray Tintin in all three films.
    2: Andy Serkis (better known as the voice of Gollum) will portray Captain Haddock :)
    3: One of the head writers of the current series of Doctor Who (Steven Moffat to be precise) will be penning the screenplay for all three movies.

I for one am really excited about this piece of news, and I can't wait for this to come out. I'll probably go to it on opening night (there'll probably be next to no people there due to how not well known Tintin is).
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited May 2011
    Just to recap, movie is being directed by Steven Speilberg, produced by Peter Jackson, and written by Stephen Moffat AND EDGAR FUCKING WRIGHT. If you are not squirming with excitement right now, there is something very wrong with you.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • directed by Steven Speilberg, produced by Peter Jackson, and written by Stephen Moffat AND EDGAR FUCKING WRIGHT
    jizzinmypants.jpg
  • Squirming with excitement? Over a Tintin film made by UnitedStateans? They have to make it marketable, which as you might have guessed will most likely result in a film that, while entertaining and good in its own way, is going to be entirely unlike Tintin.
  • That really depends. The names of Spielberg and Jackson should be marketable enough. Let's see how it turns out.

Also, fuck you and your bullshit reverse characters.
  • What characters? I'm just being wary. Even with big names on the poster I think they're going to have a difficult time making a faithful Tintin adaptation to the white screen. Again, I'm just being wary and quietly hopeful it will be good instead of squirming with excitement. 't's done me well in my life up to now.
  • The trailer looks horrible, horrible. That's not even in the uncanny valley, that is just plain ugly and weird.
  • edited May 2011
    Over a Tintin film made by UnitedStateans?
    Steven Speilberg is the only American of those four...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2011
    Over a Tintin film made by UnitedStateans?
    Steven Speilberg is the only American of those four...
    So? The studios are as well.
    The trailer looks horrible, horrible. That's not even in the uncanny valley, that is just plain ugly and weird.
    Ugh. I'd preferred live action. Hollywood knows how to do that.
    Post edited by Zack Patate on