This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How I get my Geeknights

edited May 2008 in GeekNights
Firstly, let me get a little "Grr, you americans with your unlimited data!" out of the way.

My main Internet is a 3G HSDPA connection, and I get 3GB a month, which is REALLY not much, but thats not the point of this. The annoyance of the "Great Australian Bandwidth Cap" is that my ISP as a file mirror that I can request files to. These don't count towards my quota. This is handy for linux distros (they also have an ubuntu repository) but also for some podcasts. Luckily, I can download anything from TWiT, Revision3 or Geeknights. I assume its because you have the Creative Commons here. Anyway, I noticed that each episode I get mirrored has a good 10 other people who download it, so its cool to think that maybe I inadvertently introduced them to GN.

I thought about this because the topic of how people download the podcast was mentioned recently. Instead of just clicking the link, I have to copy and paste it and the entire post into a form. Unfortunately, I can't write scripts. *laughs*

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Great Australian Bandwidth Cap
    Um, I'm in Australia and I have decent speed, ~1 Megabyte per second (slow for ADSL2+), and I have a monthly cap of 150GB before shaping. (TPG ADSL2+ Super plan).

As for how I get the podcast, I let iTunes do it, because I have an iPod and am lazy.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I direct download from the main page or the forum post. I should probably look into getting a pod catcher.
  • There are some decent ADSL2+ plans, no doubt, and I have no qualms about the speed, but there are also some really horrible plans *cough* Telstra *cough*.

I was restricted in that I needed a wireless solution and at the time what I went with was the best in that arena.

When given the choice I just let iTunes handle it as well, but I'm very rarely in sydney with access to the ADSL2.
  • Great Australian Bandwidth Cap
    Um, I'm in Australia and I have decent speed, ~1 Megabyte per second (slow for ADSL2+), and I have a monthly cap of 150GB before shaping. (TPG ADSL2+ Super plan).

As for how I get the podcast, I let iTunes do it, because I have an iPod and am lazy.
    You think you've got it bad. I have dial-up, so for every episode of geek-nights I have to download it in my cisco class and bring it back home with a thumb-drive.
  • Great Australian Bandwidth Cap

You think you've got it bad. I have dial-up, so for every episode of geek-nights I have to download it in my cisco class and bring it back home with a thumb-drive.
    I don't, actually. 150GB at 1/3 of max ADSL2+ speed is pretty good IMO. Not as good as what some people can get in Europe and Asia with FTTH, but I don't think it sucks. So don't make me think otherwise!
  • Firstly, let me get a little "Grr, you americans with your unlimited data!" out of the way.
    You forgot the Netherlands. I like our new ISP, even though it's an ADSL connection (which seems to fluctuate in speed a lot more than our cable connection at the previous ISP did), it is about 20 times faster, tops. Seeing Linux distibutions download with over one meg/second is so fricking awesome.

That ISP file mirror stuff looks very useful, a good way to try and reel in those costumers who rather not have a bandwidth cap, yet do not wish to pay a lot of money every month. I doubt any bandwidth capping bastard ISPs would do that here.
  • Really, they put the files on a mirror for you? How does the mirror work exactly? Will they mirror the RSS feed and change the MP3 URLs to point to their mirrored versions? This idea of an ISP mirroring things is very new and interesting. It actually sounds like your ISP is kind of cool mirroring TWiT and Ubuntu. I wish to know more.
  • Real Answer: From my RSS feed via sage on my laptop

Funny Answer: Through the new iBuzz!
  • edited May 2008
    That ISP file mirror stuff looks very useful, a good way to try and reel in those costumers who rather not have a bandwidth cap, yet do not wish to pay a lot of money every month. I doubt any bandwidth capping bastard ISPs would do that here.
    Actually, I had no idea they did that until a month after I signed up.
    Really, they put the files on a mirror for you? How does the mirror work exactly? Will they mirror the RSS feed and change the MP3 URLs to point to their mirrored versions? This idea of an ISP mirroring things is very new and interesting. It actually sounds like your ISP is kind of cool mirroring TWiT and Ubuntu. I wish to know more.
    Firstly, here's a link to the mirror. I know you need to be with this ISP to download, but I'm pretty sure you can still browse.
    Unfortunately, they won't mirror RSS feeds, I have to fill out the little form for each file. Though they do process torrent files, although they do have guidelines.

"Valid requests include:
    * Any final release Linux or other O/S ISO distributions
    * Useful utilities and tools
    * Open source or freely redistributable software
    * URLs starting with http:// or ftp://
    * URL to a file - not to a site

Invalid requests include:
    * Any material which doesn't fall into the valid requests category
    * Any copyrighted material, or material from a site with terms and conditions that do not allow redistribution
    * Game-related files (you can request these on GameArena)
    * Hardware drivers (video/sound/motherboard) (you can request these on GameArena)
    * Entertainment-related media (you can request these on GameArena)
    * Files of less than 1 megabyte in size
    * Any material that is exclusive for a site
    * Files that require a registration process to download
    * URLs with the '?' character "

I'm pretty sure its a case of, you request it, someone checks it, if it checks out it is mirrored. Another bonus is I max out my download speed when getting stuff from them!
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • Though they do process torrent files
    I was gonna ask about that, so, judging from the guidelines, can you request the download of fansubs through torrents via that GameArena thing? Very interesting stuff.
  • Its unlikely. It seems to be their policy that is there isn't enough information to prove that its completely safe for them to mirror, they won't.