This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Should "Religion" be it's own discussion category?

edited May 2008 in Forum Stuff
We have a politics category and I believe we discuss religion just as much as politics. I also believe that flamewars is too broad a topic for an issue that has mulitple threads. Thoughts?

Comments

• Good idea.
  • Or perhaps it could be as broad as just "Philosophy" if that would make it any more palatable.
  • I am in favor of this great idea. Scrym, why haven't you done this yet!?
  • I would prefer we call the category "WTF, mate?" in honor of David Riley's classic, oft-repeated trope.
  • edited May 2008
    Absolutely not. "Flamewars" covers it, and every religious debate is exactly the same. Plus, do you really want to encourage threads in this forum that are religious people talking about they're connection with God or how they pray? Because it's going to be used for that at some point if you choose to make it a category.

Making it a category encourages it, and I don't think anyone really wants that here, even the few that actually are religious.

As my final edit on this post, let me just say that making the category "Religion" is like making the category "Avatar". EVERY thread is exactly the same as the next.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2008
    Absolutely not. "Flamewars" covers it, and every religious debate is exactly the same.
    If they're the same and there's so many of them, then they should have their own category anyways.
    Plus, do you really want to encourage threads in this forum that are religious people talking about they're connection with God or how they pray? Because it's going to be used for that at some point if you choose to make it a category.

Making it a category encourages it, and I don't think anyone really wants that here, even the few that actually are religious.
    I dunno, many of us enjoy picking apart the arguments of the religious.

Also: you shouldn't have an apostrophe on "its" in the name of the thread.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2008
    I'm going to enjoy saying I told you so when when the first "How do you connect with God?" thread pops up. And also when we get invaded by christfags.
    That is all. Do what you will.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2008
    I'm going to enjoy saying I told you so when when the first "How do you connect with God?" thread pops up.
    That would be a fun thread IMO. I'd post something like: "ssh God"
  • I think maybe there should be less categories, not more. Especially if we were to actually use the Categories view more.
  • I like the idea of a Philosophy thread. To me, it seems like most people on this forum generally agree about religion, and a philosophical category would be much broader.
  • A Category thread should be called "Politics, Religion and Sex". (The three things for some reason you are not supposed to talk about but for some reason every good conversation will involve)
  • I'd post something like: "ssh God"
    So you'd connect to the God interface via a secure terminal? That would be nifty. Maybe heaven is a MUD.
  • What about believes instead of religion?
  • Just put them in Flamewars. That's where it'll end up regardless.
  • I'm going to enjoy saying I told you so when when the first "How do you connect with God?" thread pops up.
    That would be a fun thread IMO. I'd post something like: "ssh God"
    I tried to ping jesus.God.hv, but got no response. The root DNS servers need to get connected to those in heaven. And perhaps hell. I'd like to keep in touch with Viga once I'm dead.

As for the suggestion, eh, there are 'good' arguments for and against. Having it would indeed result in a 'cleaner' flamewars category, however, seeing as most topics on religion tend to edge very close to flamewars (at least, what one can consider to be a flamewar on this forum), we might be shooting ourselves in the foot by giving it its own category where no flamewars are allowed. For that's why there is a flamewar category in the first place.

Don't have much else to say at the moment.
  • "Religious Flamewars" category, problem solved.
  • "Religious Flamewars" category, problem solved.
    That's a sub-category of flamewars. And I doubt Vanilla does sub-categories.
  • edited May 2008
    I'd post something like: "ssh God"
    So you'd connect to the God interface via a secure terminal? That would be nifty. Maybe heaven is a MUD.
    It must be secure, or it would get hacked by Satan.
    I tried to ping jesus.God.hv, but got no response. The root DNS servers need to get connected to those in heaven. And perhaps hell. I'd like to keep in touch with Viga once I'm dead.
    Perhaps it has to be jesus.trinity.hv, though if the DNS server was any good it would realise the two were one and the same.
  • I think we should consider an Avatar category if things carry on like they are.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm with Sail. Flamewars pretty much covers religion, politics, and philosophy quite well. That, and "Everything else" if the thread isn't flamebait.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I say we shouldn't make religion a section. It going to be like this:

Someone: GOD GOD GOD GOD!
    Someone else here: NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT!
    Someone: God yeah! God yeah!
    Someone else: Idiot. God no!

You get the gist. Do we need the same old hat debate cluttering up the forums again. Plus I think we would barely use that category anyway.
  • edited May 2008
    Someone: Alternative medicine!
    Someone else: ....

Also:

Someone: Then explain X
    Someone else: *Explains X*
    Someone: Then explain Y
    Someone else: *Explains Y*
    Someone: Then explain Z
    Someone else: *Explains Z*
    Someone: Then explain A
    Someone else: *Explains A*
    Someone: Then explain B
    Someone else: *Explains B*
    Someone: Liar
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Absolutely not. "Flamewars" covers it, and every religious debate is exactly the same. Plus, do you really want to encourage threads in this forum that are religious people talking about they're connection with God or how they pray? Because it's going to be used for that at some point if you choose to make it a category.
    I'd like to see some threads like that. Those would be some crazy flamewars.