This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080507 - Free Comic Book Day 2008

RymRym
edited May 2008 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights, we review the comics of Free Comic Book Day 2008. In the news, Scott presents his box.

Scott's Thing - Chronotron
Rym's Thing - Evergreen

Comments

• edited May 2008
    I don't think you did Scott's box the way people wanted you to.
    When you do the "box to be" episodes, you'd be telling us why you will be getting those comics.
    In the format that was voted on, people seemed to want reviews. This episode, you went through the box, told us what you got, and told us why you got it. That's no different than box to be, except we now don't have a chance to preorder any of this stuff, since it was last month's orders.

I think the point of doing the "box that just arrived" is so that once you finish the comics, you could tell us what was good and what was bad.

Here are some quotes to back me up:
    "here is what this comic is supposed to be about" but that's boring and I can look that up anywhere.
    Actually...that's really all I got. The rest of the thread was really diverging. Most people wanted some form of reviews, though. As I stated above, in tonight's episode, you didn't do any reviewing. You just said "this is probably gonna be awesome".

Granted, I personally don't care. I wanted "box to be" to begin with, so doing it that way is fine with me. Though, if you're not going to actually review the comics, do it while we can still pre-order the stuff!
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I think the point of doing the "box that just arrived" is so that once you finish the comics, you could tell us what was good and what was bad.
    It takes a long time to read all those books. It would take impossibly long to review them all after reading them. Also, sometimes I don't get to some of them for a very long time. My goal is to keep people aware of comics that are brand new right now, so that they will possibly go and buy them.
  • I think the point of doing the "box that just arrived" is so that once you finish the comics, you could tell us what was good and what was bad.
    It takes a long time to read all those books. It would take impossibly long to review them all after reading them. Also, sometimes I don't get to some of them for a very long time. My goal is to keep people aware of comics that are brand new right now, so that they will possibly go and buy them.
    In that case, why not just tell us why you got each comic while we can still go to dcbs and preorder them ourselves?

Really, if you're not going to review them (and don't take that as an attack. I understand the time it takes to review the amount of comics you get each month, and that it would be a long and hard task), then just do the previews of the comics while we can still get the same deals you got.
  • then just do the previews of the comics while we can still get the same deals you got.
    That might be what you want, but that's not what the majority wants.
  • Nascar Heroes sounds like the greatest thing ever.
  • I heavily recommend Hell Boy and the spin-off B.P.R.D. (Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense) there is a strong meta plot involving evil deranged megalomaniac Nazi scientists as well as brilliant episodic content which is invariably based on real existing folk tales from around the world. Often the stories have a Lovecraftian feel to them and the meta plot certainly does.
  • Best Tuesday in ages (I'm not into anime). Scott's Box was very entertaining; don't change a thing. I also enjoyed the main bit. I don't get why you were hating on Cerebus, though; Dave Sim did turn into a misogynistic religious loon but that was way, way after the two books you read. Sure the first book is a mixed bag, but High Society is still brilliant. Maybe there's a generation gap, because I remember it had a lot of parodies of other comics that are pretty obscure today.
  • then just do the previews of the comics while we can still get the same deals you got.
    That might be what you want, but that's not what the majority wants.
    I'll quote the amount of times someone said "review" in the Scott's box vote thread.....
    Review stuff that just came in the mail
    First off, even the poll option asks for reviews.

"and then next month when it comes, review it"
    "After you review it...."
    "one word reviews"
    "you could talk about if it seems to meet your expectations, or if it's better or worse than you expected"
    "both previews and reviews"
    "with a longer section for the actual reviews"
    "Reviews and preview"
    " review and preview"
    "If you have to choose between the two then Reviews all the way"
    "I'm down with a mini-review,"
    "I would like to hear non-biased reviews "

So as you can see, while people do want the segment done after you get the box, I think most people voted for it because they want some sort of review, not just a "why I bought this" segment.

And finally, remember that I'm really not trying to crusade for myself here. I really don't mind if you do Scott's box the way you did it today. I just think you aren't really acknowledging the poll the way people wanted you to.

PS. Yes I realize I could have blockquoted all of that, but it would've made the post gigantic.
  • In that case, why not just tell us why you got each comic while we can still go to dcbs and preorder them ourselves?
    I missed the previous Scott's Box thread - but this is exactly what I would want. What's the point of hearing about something when it's too late to order it? I'd like to know what you think is worthwhile to order while I can still order it. Anything else is absolutely useless.

What's the point of....
    "Hey, this comic was great! Too bad you missed out on it!"
  • We opened that poll after the first time I did the box segment. In that segment I went over the books that already came that month, the same way I did the segment just now. I have a hard time accepting that people who voted for the segment to stay the same wanted the segment to be different. If all you want is reviews, that's no different than what we did before just doing geekbytes instead of news.

If more people are pre-ordering and want to share, we should all just post our orders in a thread every month. They do it over at the comics podcast forums, no reason not to do it here, where tastes are considerably different.
  • Here's my May order for books shipping in July. This will probably change at least a little bit before the end of the month.

PERRY BIBLE FELLOWSHIP ALMANACK HC (C: 0-1-2) *Special Discount*
    ASTRO BOY TP VOL 1 & 2 (C: 0-1-2) *Special Discount*
    MPD PSYCHO TP VOL 06 (MR) (C: 0-1-2)
    PILOT SEASON THE CORE #1 *Special Discount*
    UNCANNY X-MEN #500 *Special Discount*
    SKY DOLL #3 (OF 3) (MR)
    CRIMINAL TP VOL 03 DEAD AND DYING (MR)
    NOVA TP VOL 02 KNOWHERE
    TITANIUM RAIN #1 (OF 12) (MR) *Special Discount*
    VOLTRON A LEGEND FORGED #1 *Special Discount*
    LOVE & ROCKETS NEW STORIES #1 *Special Discount*
    BARKS ROSA COLL TP VOL 02 DONALDS ATOM BOMB
    JYU OH SEI GN
    INITIAL D GN VOL 31 (OF 36)
  • I think for next month (and every subsequent month), we should post a master DCBS pre-order thread.
  • Pilot Season: The Core sounds interesting.

I see that there are numerous "Pilot Season" comics. Can you tell me generally what they are about? Any trouble jumping in with this (The Core) series?
  • I thought this Scott's Box segment was good. I honestly don't know a lot of the names in comic books, so it's nice to learn about the "Who's who" in comic books. I also don't order comics. I pretty much buy trades at the local comic book store where I get a 10-15% discount already, and I enjoy talking to the comic book store owner. He's very cool and also gives some pretty good recommendations of what is good. Even though it wasn't in your box, but you talked about "Gotham Central". I definitely want to check that out.

From what I can remember, the only thing I would ask is to post a list of what came in Scott's box. It seems you have already listed for July, so that's cool.

Rym,

Can you please link "The Girl Who Lived Through Time" information. I'll probably check it out when it comes to Washington. Thanks! ^_^
  • I see that there are numerous "Pilot Season" comics. Can you tell me generally what they are about? Any trouble jumping in with this (The Core) series?
    Pilot Season is a thing that Top Cow comics does. Top Cow is its own publisher, but is also sort of part of Image comics kind of. Basically they try out a bunch of titles and have readers vote on which ones are going to continue. The reaosn I'm buying The Core is because it is written by Jonathan Hickman of Nightly News, Red Mass for Mars, Transhuman, Pax Romana, etc. In recent months he has basically exploded onto the comics scene with his mad writing and graphic design skills. He went from unheard of to automatic buying almost immediately.

We can do a monthly thread, but how many people here are pre-ordering and will participate? It might be a tiny thread for many months.
  • edited May 2008
    Even though it wasn't in your box, but you talked about "Gotham Central". I definitely want to check that out.
    They are reprinting the Gotham Central series in hardcover that you can pre-order right now. The first hardcover will be out in July. If you buy it that way, I think it might actually be cheaper than buying the existing trades. I would do some math before deciding, though.

Here is a list of everything that was delivered in my most recent box.

AVENGERS TP KREE SKRULL WAR NEW PTG,,MARVEL COMICS,FEB082303,
    COMPLETE CHESTER GOULDS DICK TRACY HC VOL 04,4,IDW PUBLISHING,FEB083846,
    COMPLETE PERSEPOLIS TP,,PANTHEON BOOKS,FEB083958,
    DC UNIVERSE ZERO,,DC COMICS,MAR080123,
    DEADPOOL CLASSIC TP VOL 1,1,MARVEL COMICS,FEB082311,
    GLAMOURPUSS COMICS ED,#1,AARDVARK VANAHEIM,FEB083391,
    GNOME ONE SHOT,,SUPERREALGRAPHICS.CO,FEB084007,
    I WAS KIDNAPPED BY LESBIAN PIRATES OUTERSPACE,1,PLATINUM STUDIOS,MAR083920,
    JONAH HEX TP VOL 04 ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG,,DC COMICS,JAN080200,
    LOGAN,#2,MARVEL COMICS,FEB082269,
    MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS,#8,MARVEL COMICS,FEB082239,
    MUSHISHI GN VOL 03,,DEL REY MANGA,OCT073424,
    QUEEN & COUNTRY DEFINITIVE ED VOL 1 TP (O/A) (SEP073874) (M,1,ONI PRESS INC.,FEB083951,
    QUEEN & COUNTRY DEFINITIVE EDITION TP VOL 02,2,ONI PRESS INC.,FEB083947,
    RABBIS CAT GN VOL 02,,PANTHEON BOOKS,JAN083832,
    SOLEIL FREE SAMPLER,1,MARVEL COMICS,MAR082145A,
    TEZUKA DORORO GN VOL 01 (C: 0-1-2),1,VERTICAL INC,FEB084093,
    WHITEOUT DEFINITIVE ED TP VOL 01,1,ONI PRESS INC.,MAR083900,
    WHITEOUT DEFINITIVE ED TP VOL 02 MELT,2,ONI PRESS INC.,MAR083901,
    WONDERLOST,#2,IMAGE COMICS,AUG072036,
    YOU CANT GET THERE FROM HERE GN,,FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS,MAR083706,

I didn't talk about Dick Tracy because I put it on the shelf and forgot to bring it to do the show.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2008
    Can you please link "The Girl Who Lived Through Time" information. I'll probably check it out when it comes to Washington. Thanks! ^_^
    Girl who Leapt Through Time - New Showings
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2008
    Girl who Leapt Through Time-New Showings
    Thanks! I guess I got the name wrong, which is why I couldn't find anything through Google.

Edit: I also noticed it's playing in Seattle during the same weekend of PAX. I don't know, but maybe I'll check it out on Sunday in the afternoon. If not, hopefully during the week.
    They are reprinting the Gotham Central series in hardcover that you can pre-order right now. The first hardcover will be out in July. If you buy it that way, I think it might actually be cheaper than buying the existing trades. I would do some math before deciding, though.
    Thanks for the information. I'll see how much it is at the local store, if they have it, if not I'll probably pre-order it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Also, Rym, Emily, etc. You guys should look at the order form each month and tell me what you want. It's easier than me asking you if you want things I think you might like.
  • Am I getting this correctly? It looks like the Pilot Season comics have only issue #1 published prior to voting. For example, Lady Pendragon has issue #1 scheduled for a May release, with no issue #2 listed.

So once the winners are selected, will they re-release issue #1? In other words, can't I just wait to see if The Core is a winner, and then get the whole series as it is released, including issue #1?

Or is this a gimmick to get you to order a lot of #1s that may die a quick death?
  • Am I getting this correctly? It looks like the Pilot Season comics have only issue #1 published prior to voting. For example, Lady Pendragon has issue #1 scheduled for a May release, with no issue #2 listed.

So once the winners are selected, will they re-release issue #1? In other words, can't I just wait to see if The Core is a winner, and then get the whole series as it is released, including issue #1?

Or is this a gimmick to get you to order a lot of #1s that may die a quick death?
    If you only want to read the winners, I suggest you wait for the trade. Then you don't have to worry about things like this. Also, I want it to win, and buying it is a form of voting. If this is the only issue, I still have every Hickman comic. If it wins, I'll buy the eventual trade.
  • I picked up Queen & Country vol. 1 at NYCC while I was at the Oni Press booth. I really want to pick up the other volumes, its very high quality.
  • I picked up Queen & Country vol. 1 at NYCC while I was at the Oni Press booth. I really want to pick up the other volumes, its very high quality.
    You got the definitive edition vol. 1, right? You don't want the old style volume 1.
  • edited May 2008
    Rym,

Gizmo Duck secret word = blatherskite as said by Fenton Crackshell, but he always said "Blathering blatherskite!"

I just realized I knew that from the top of my head without having to look it up. Yay for useless knowledge! -_- >.>
  • Yeah, it was the definitive edition.
  • edited May 2008
    Here's my May order for books shipping in July. This will probably change at least a little bit before the end of the month.

PERRY BIBLE FELLOWSHIP ALMANACK HC (C: 0-1-2) *Special Discount*
    Is that a new book or is it similar to the previous Colonel Sweeto book?

*Edit Thanks for answer
    Post edited by Boy Blue on
  • edited May 2008
    Is that a new book or is it similar to the previous Colonel Sweeto book?
    A follow up of it.
    This 272-page follow-up to the immensely popular and soon-to-be-out-of-print collection The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories collects the entirety of Gurewitch's weekly newspaper print run. Also features bonus "lost" strips, sketches, and an interview by Wondermark's David Malki.
  • edited May 2008
    We can do a monthly thread, but how many people here are pre-ordering and will participate?
    I don't currently pre-order, but I probably would if you made a monthly thread.
    Or we could just make it a "what manga/comics have you recently bought/preordered" thread.

Either way works for me.

Also, for Chronotron, if you get into a time paradox, nothing really happens. It just says you got into a time paradox, gives you a semi-witty comment to read, then makes you restart.

And for the FCBD transformers, it was the only one I got. It was pretty damn awful, I agree. The biggest complaint I have with it is that is stated the obvious so many times...so annoying.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Scott, did you know that you can read all of what's currently out of Lesbian Pirates online (currently five issues and 20 pages of issue six)? The author/artist, Megan Rose Gedris, puts it out online as a webcomic. The website layout's a bit shit, but it's readable, at least: http://www.drunkduck.com/I_Was_Kidnapped_By_Lesbian_Pirates_From_Outer_Space/

I've been reading it since it started, mainly because I was already a fan of her other webcomic, YU+ME | dream (which is a lot more amateur-ish as a comic, at least in the first several chapters, but is still very touching and often cute). I really hope you like Lesbian Pirates, because I certainly do. Golly! :D