This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God.

edited August 2006 in Movies
I TiVoed this movie off the Sci Fi channel and finally got around to watching it while I rode our spinning bike. I expected the movie to be, well, ass. Almost every other type of movie or media or what have you associated with the game has been terrible. I didn't feel like walking downstairs to get a DVD, so I took a chance. I was well rewarded.

You have to understand my perspective on this. I watched Bloodrayne in it's entirety while exercising. In other words, there's not a lot that I can't make it through (although I didn't make it through Team America World Police, that truly sucked).

Is D&DWotDG as good as LoTR? Don't be silly. Is it better than Bloodrayne? Yes, by an order of magnitude. The acting in D&DWotDG is very good. I suspect they picked up a cast of stage actors who, while unknown, have journeyman skills. Next, it's well shot. The scenes are well framed and it successfully makes you believe that you're in medieval fantasy world. Along with the good cinematography, it's well directed. Finally, considering the genre, the writing is strong.

If you want to see a live action D&D story told in a movie, this is the benchmark. It felt like a campaign that opened up before my eyes. I appreciated the attention to history of the game as well. The goblin camp looked like a goblin camp. There were references to D&D deities and everything fit without being corny and without looking like an expensive fan film.

I was thrilled. Roy Marsden was particularly excellent, but the whole cast was strong. At times, the acting rose to Masterpiece Theater level (at times). It also sort of reminded me of HBO's Rome series. I guess because that was a bunch of competent unknown actors in well shot, well written, well directed story too.

This movie should be seen by every director in the future who wants to shoot a fantasy movie. The message should be: if you can't do as well as this, don't do it. Don't give us another Bloodrayne. Don't give us horrifically bad schlock. Don't blow your money on name actors, just look for Shakespearian stage experience. Give us competence in all categories. If you can't do it, don't bother.

Comments

• I agree.

Compared to the first movie they made with the "D&D" name on it this IS LoTR quality!
  • Was the first one the one with the thief guys and a guy named "snails" who died but might have been brought back or something?
  • Gees, you guys and your world police hate ^_^ I enjoyed the movie.

Anyhow, as someone who ranks the orginal D&D movie as a guilty pleasure, I've watched about 20 minutes of the second movie and found it to be very interesting (I would have finished it but I got interupted) maybe if I have some time tonight I'll finish it.
  • Gees, you guys and your world police hate ^_^ I enjoyed the movie.

Anyhow, as someone who ranks the orginal D&D; movie as a guilty pleasure, I've watched about 20 minutes of the second movie and found it to be very interesting (I would have finished it but I got interupted) maybe if I have some time tonight I'll finish it.
    The word "pleasure" should not in any way be connected to That Goddamn Movie. However, I've heard various good things about this sequel, so I'll have to check it out at some point.

Honestly, though, they should just make a live-action Order of the Stick movie and be done with it.
  • They should make an animated Order of the Stick movie and be done with it.
  • They should make and Order of the Stick anime and be done with it.
  • They should make a stick order some anime and be done with it.

Wait...

What were we talking about?