This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080508 - GeekNights Book Club: The Prince of Nothing

RymRym
edited May 2008 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we get right into our new monthly "book club" with The Prince of Nothing Trilogy by R. Scott. Bakker: The Darkness that Comes Before, The Warrior Prophet, and The Thousandfold Thought.

Scott's Thing - Soviet Science Fiction Art
Rym's Thing - Soviet Propaganda

Comments

• Nobody saw THIS episode coming.
  • Nobody saw THIS episode coming.
    You obviously came before us!
  • The Azumanga ToTD was in AMV Hell 3.
  • Great timing. I just started reading The Darkness that Comes Before today.
  • edited May 2008
    Neuropath came out on Tuesday.

Edit: apparently amazon says it comes out a month different (June) then chapters, how strange.
    Post edited by Page on
  • The Azumanga ToTD was in AMV Hell 3...
    ...and is probably the best part of it.
  • Wow, this episode comes out the day after I buy the book.
  • The Azumanga ToTD was in AMV Hell 3.
    You guys are a few years late to the party on that one. And you say guys said that your otaku wangs are so massive.
  • The trilogy has been on my shelf since Christmas, I best start reading.
  • After finishing the episode....I want this book! *steals from closest forum member*

It has been a long while since I lost myself in a fantasy book. I'm due for one so this might it. I want to finish the books I have first though.

CONFLICTED! T_T
  • So apparently I am pretty rare, since I have continually been unable to read through the series. I just read half to three quarters of a book, and then I just lose interest entirely, and then I go back and I cut through it. So I think I'm almost done with the second book all told.

Also you might want to check out the Malazan Books of the Fallen. They're a little less intelligent and a little more "OH SHIT BADASS GUY WITH A SWORD" but they're still pretty good, and the author is also very, very well educated (although in anthropology, not philosophy). The first one is not the greatest, but then they pick up quite a bit.
  • Book of the month club is nice, but what about Zombies part 3?
  • During this episode I really wanted to read these books so I tried to find out is this at my local library. Found nothing. Then I went to Finnish site for sf and fantasy books and there I found nothing when I searched for writers name. So I'm pretty sure that these books are not translated in Finnish and most probably I can't find them in any language anywhere near me. I will check some bookstores when I go to town next time but I don't think I will be so lucky.

Well, seems like I have to skip the spoiler episode then.
  • Well, seems like I have to skip the spoiler episode then.
    At least the first half of the episode will be the review for next month's book, so you can listen to that. ^_^
  • You guys are a few years late to the party on that one. And you say guys said that your otaku wangs are so massive.
    You do realize that a good half of our things of the day are old news for anyone in the know, right? There's a reason I'd use something like that on a Thursday, where most people would never have heard of or seen anything like that, as opposed to a Wednesday.

As an aside, Anime/AMV Hell style events seem more and more to be a relic of the past, from the days before things like Youtube existed.
  • I have been wanting to read this series, but have been busy reading other things. Right now I'm reading Watchmen, so I will try to pick up the first book and hope/try to finish it by the next review. However, I'm burnt out on reading too. I just finished reading Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy and it was pretty fantastic. I'm in a manga/comic reading mood, so we'll see how it goes.

Does anyone else go through that? They read regular novels/books for a while, but then get tired of it and read manga/comics as a break from them?
  • edited May 2008
    You guys are a few years late to the party on that one. And you say guys said that your otaku wangs are so massive.
    I am so fucking sick of hearing this. There is more information on the Internet and more fixed-medium entertainment than any army can consume. To suggest that anything is too old or that all people have consumed any one given item is ridiculous.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited May 2008

Does anyone else go through that? They read regular novels/books for a while, but then get tired of it and read manga/comics as a break from them?
    Yeah. Right now I'm in a novel mood. I'm still in my comics cravings and I don't really want any manga right now.

edit: Except for that Ode to Kirihito. Just a few more days till payday...
    Post edited by Viga on
  • So is this book club going to be about exclusively these kinds of deep, thought provoking books? I definitely think that would be cool, but I wonder if you guys would ever think about doing some kinds of lighter reading in the future.
  • edited May 2008
    As an aside, Anime/AMV Hell style events seem more and more to be a relic of the past, from the days before things like Youtube existed.
    I agree with what you say about Anime Hell. I haven't seen an event like that before, but from the way Daryl Surat describes it, I just scratch my head and wonder, "What's the point of that when we have YouTube now?" I think AMV Hell is a different ballpark, though. The style of a project like that, just by nature of it being an AMV and not being restricted to live events, sort of removes it from the Anime Hell territory (and Daryl Surat would rather the two not be confused or lumped together, as well).

I remember you guys talked about why you weren't big on AMV Hell a while back, and I can see why you personally feel that way. Though, I respectfully disagree with you about the clips being short just because people were too lazy to make them into full AMVs. I feel the strength of all the great AMV Hell clips is their brevity. Being made into full AMVs, in most cases, would just stretch the joke out and ruin it.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • A note about Wild Turkeys, you don't want to mess with those things. They are super territorial and will attack you. There are some I occasionally see near my house and whenever I do I pretty much let them do what they want until they leave.
  • I don't usually read fantasy, but my interest is piqued. However, I don't have the time to read novels. I DO have near-endless time to listen to audio. So if anyone DOES find an audiobook, please let us know.
  • Interesting sounding book. I'll add it to my list. :)

+1 Scott's level-headedness in regards to the show's position in the podcast world.

-1 Things of the Day Scott hasn't looked at. The forum will praise anything he links to. We are a Biased Source. :P

Instead of snubbing non-reader guy, I would have tried to get him into good audiobooks.
  • Instead of snubbing non-reader guy, I would have tried to get him into good audiobooks.
    Audiobooks have their purposes. I'm not saying audiobooks are evil, or anything like that. They are great for commutes and such. However, they are no substitute for books made of words. Having your brain interpret visual symbols rather than audible symbols is completely different, and exercises a completely different part of the brain.

If someone doesn't read, they don't exercise the reading part of their brain. If they don't exercise the reading part of their brain, then that part of their brain is weak. If that part of their brain is weak, then I have a hard time believing they have a lot to offer intellectually. If someone doesn't have a lot to offer intellectually, it becomes very difficult to respect them, care about what they say, or associate with them on a meaningful level. If someone announces to the world that they don't read, that means they are proud of their intellectual laziness. If they are proud of your lack of intellect and intellectual laziness, then it becomes almost impossible to respect, care about, or associate with them.

Read.

• If someone doesn't read, they don't exercise the reading part of their brain. If they don't exercise the reading part of their brain, then that part of their brain is weak. If that part of their brain is weak, then I have a hard time believing they have a lot to offer intellectually.
    Many people believe that the Illiad was originally passed along orally, and its recitation was considered part of the classical curriculum. To be fair, footnotes don't do well in audiobooks, so he'd have to choose his translation more carefully, but I think he'd be able to hold his own in the conversation.
    If someone announces to the world that they don't read, that means they are proud of their intellectual laziness.
    This is often true but not always true. Did he seem like he was intellectually lazy before you knew he didn't enjoy reading?
  • This is often true but not always true. Did he seem like he was intellectually lazy before you knew he didn't enjoy reading?
    Good god yes. There is a much broader story involved with this gentleman that shall be saved for a Thursday special. ^_~
  • Many people believe that the Illiad was originally passed along orally, and its recitation was considered part of the classical curriculum.
    What were they supposed to do, carve it onto stone tablets?
  • I demand a House of Leaves episode. >:U
  • Damn, the first book should arrive in a few days, the second book will come in a few weeks, damn. Still through the magic of podcasting I can listen to the episode whenever I finished reading even though I'll always be behind the rest of you guys. Damn.