This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Dark Crystal

GeoGeo
edited April 2008 in Movies
I'm kinda surprised no one made a topic about this. I just watched finished watching The Dark Crystal for the first time just a few minutes ago, and I gotta say that was really well done movie. Jim Henson has succeeded in making an original fantasy movies without using any cheap or already created races/characters. The story was pretty good, but what really struck me was the quality of the Muppets.

If there are any Dark Crystal fans out there, boy do I have some good news for you. If you don't know already, in the year of 2009, there is going to be a sequel to The Dark Crystal called Power of the Dark Crystal. What really excites me about this is that the person who is doing this none other than Genndy Tartakovsky. To those of you who don't know, he is man who brought use Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack.

Apparently, Tartakovsky is going to be filming this in the same vein as the original movie with animatronic puppets and CGI backgrounds which I hope will not suck and ruin the movie.

I also heard there's a prequel manga out, but I don't know whether or not I want to get it as I'm somewhat suspicious of it.

Comments

• Oh man, the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are two of the best movies of the 80's (in my opinion). They need to make more movies with puppetry instead of CGI.
  • Oh man, the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are two of the best movies of the 80's (in my opinion). They need to make more movies with puppetry instead of CGI.
    You remind me of the babe.
    That is why we have Pan's Labyrinth.
  • That is why we have Pan's Labyrinth.
    Yes, and that is why there needs to be more!
  • I also heard there's a prequel manga out, but I don't know whether or not I want to get it as I'm somewhat suspicious of it
    I'm pretty sure there is one for Dark Crystal (I haven't actually watched the movie, nor seen the manga, sadly), but there is volume 1 and 2 of Return to the Labyrinth manga. I have the first volume, and just waiting for the money and opportunity to buy the second. I find the manga is really good, even with the crappy Americanized manga drawing. :3 I totally suggest you picking up the Dark Crystal manga if you like the movie, if it's anything like Return to Labyrinth. Unlike most, it expands upon the movie, doing almost a sequel to it.
  • I just added Dark Crystal to my Netflix queue. It has been a long time since I rented it at the public library so many years ago.
  • edited May 2008
    They need to make more movies with puppetry instead of CGI.
    This is exactly what I thought when I last watched Return to Oz, if anyone remembers that amazing forgotten movie. The work done on Jack Pumpkinhead alone was phenomenal (being a combination of traditional puppetry, hydraulics, and a little bit of stop-motion in certain shots), to say nothing of the sophisticated animatronics work done on Bilina the Chicken or the metal body worn by the guy playing Tik-Tok (which was a way worse gig than Kenny Baker had going with the R2-D2 can).

Sorry, I can't say anything about the work done in The Dark Crystal, as I have actually never seen it. I just wanted to say that I agree, more movies should still use puppetry and animatronics where feasible. ^^;
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I only saw The Dark Crystal last year, but I LOVED it and I am looking forward to the sequel.
  • I only saw The Dark Crystal last year, but I LOVED it and I am looking forward to the sequel.
    Ditto ^_^
  • The Dark Crystal, Blade Runner, E.T., Tron, Wrath of Khan, Poltergeist, The Thing, and Sword & the Sorcerer all came out in the same year, 1982.
  • The Dark Crystal, Blade Runner, E.T., Tron, Wrath of Khan, Poltergeist, The Thing, and Sword & the Sorcerer all came out in the same year, 1982.
    I also came out that year. Ba-dum-ching!
  • edited May 2008
    The Dark Crystal, Blade Runner, E.T., Tron, Wrath of Khan, Poltergeist, The Thing, and Sword & the Sorcerer all came out in the same year, 1982.
    Man, every thing that came out that year sucks! /sarcasm
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
    Careful, someone might quote that and put it in the gay thread. ;)
  • You remind me of the babe.
    What babe?
  • You remind me of the babe.
    What babe?
    The babe with the power.
  • The babe with the power.
    What power?
  • What power?
    The power of the babe.
  • The power of voodoo.
  • The power of voodoo.
    Who do?
  • Do what?
  • Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!
  • edited June 2008
    Oh man, that song is so great. There needs to be a GeekNights episode on this movie.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited June 2008
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • OMG! That picture makes me go weak in the knees!!! *Swoon*
  • You guys did it wrong. *Sigh* Funnily enough, I just rented The Dark Crystal from Netflix for no reason at all other than I hadn't seen it. I hope its as good as the Labyrinth.
  • The comic.
    That is pretty epic. I think I might have to check that out at my local comic shop!
  • OMG! That picture makes me go weak in the knees!!! *Swoon*
    totally.
  • edited June 2008
    Seriously? David Bowie?? I have nothing against the man and his amazing ball skills but, I mean.. out of all the men on earth..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Seriously? David Bowie?? I have nothing against the man and his amazing ball skills but, I mean.. out of all the men on earth..
    The androgynous thing can be attractive (pretty and handsome at the same time). You take that natural beauty, put lots of eye make-up on it, tight leather pants with a decently large bulge, and twinkle of intelligent mischievousness and you have instant sex appeal. At least, for me you do. After Zack from Saved by the Bell, David Bowie in this role was my second sex dream. Yeah, I know... Zack from Saved by the Bell is lame... I hated the show, but apparently I liked him for some inexplicable reason.