This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080521 - How To Get Other People Into Anime

edited May 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we teach you how to turn other people into anime fans. In the news Little Orphan Artworks and HALCALI to appear in New York.

Scott's Thing - Metal Gear Lupin III
Rym's Thing - Hatsune Miku Dance

Comments

• edited May 2008
    I thoroughly approve of this show.

Also: Tex's name is Austin.
    Post edited by Your Mom on
  • When you talked about Metal Gear 2, I believe that you meant Snake's Revenge. Because there seems to be a real Metal Gear 2, that looks like a good game.
  • When you talked about Metal Gear 2, I believe that you meant Snake's Revenge. Because there seems to be a realMetal Gear 2, that looks like a good game.
    This is why we are not qualified to talk about the Metal Gears.
  • I'm repeating myself here, but I think a good show to get people into anime is Black Lagoon, especially if the person in question likes Tarantino movies or movies in the vein of the original Die Hard. It is not just because it is my favorite anime, but I hold in very high regard and think of it similar to how Rym thinks about Cowboy Bebop. I would classify it as Cowboy Bebop lite if you like. I'm aware that it is not as acclaimed but it's a fantastic show that would be mainstream enough to interest a lot of people who normally don't watch anime.

However, I'm wondering if Scrym ever watched that show because they have yet to mention it even once. I would really like to hear your thoughts on that show.
  • However, I'm wondering if Scrym ever watched that show because they have yet to mention it even once. I would really like to hear your thoughts on that show.
    We watch the first episode. Are you sure you aren't talking about a different show? The show we saw was pretty terrible.
  • However, I'm wondering if Scrym ever watched that show because they have yet to mention it even once.
    I saw the first episode, and was unimpressed. I haven't yet gotten around to seeing any more of it.
  • Scott, what in your opinion was so terrible about it?
  • Scott, what in your opinion was so terrible about it?
    Yeah. I thought it was meh, but it was by no means terrible. Project ICE was terrible. Black Lagoon was no Project ICE.
  • edited May 2008
    Scott, what in your opinion was so terrible about it?
    Yeah. I thought it was meh, but it was by no means terrible. Project ICE was terrible. Black Lagoon was no Project ICE.
    True, it was not as bad as Project ICE. However, from what I recall, Black Lagoon is not much more than a shallow boobs and guns show. If someone asks what anime is, Black Lagoon is not your shining example.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Nice to hear you're getting Kanji for your name Rym. My real name is Andrew, and I sometimes use 安堵竜 (andoryuu) as my name in Japanese. It means something like "relaxed dragon" which suites me pretty well, but I haven't ever had anyone who can actually read real Japanese look it over so there might be something I'm doing wrong.

Glad to see you're liking Princess Tutu.

It occurs to me that if you liked Bokurano you might also like Narutaru. Its by the same guy and might be quickly summed up as "Pokemon meets Lord of the Flies".
  • Nice to hear you're getting Kanji for your name Rym.
    Ah yes, on that note, what are the kanji Rym? Your description of them sucked. It's kinda fun knowing your name in kanji, however my name would probably begin with 二 (ni), and my online nick name would be 九 (kyu), so yeah, I'm not too eager to find out! XD
  • edited May 2008
    However, from what I recall, Black Lagoon is not much more than a shallow boobs and guns show. If someone asks what anime is, Black Lagoon is not your shining example.
    I find that particularly funny when you guys explicitly said in the episode that people shouldn't judge books by their covers or in this case dismiss shows by details that might not appeal to you.

While Revy's character design isn't the most unrevealing out there, the show never puts focus on any of her body parts or the ones of the other female gunfighters. Case in point would be that her tanktop doesn't have a deep cut. For the show this is just what Revy likes to dress like which is rather understandable in a hot country like Thailand. Later when they go to Tokyo in the winter she of course wears less revealing clothes. Black Lagoon is certainly not something like for example Grenadier.

Trust me, just watch the second episode. And if you don't trust me, trust Dave and Joel or aWo. Both really liked the series.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Trust me, just watch the second episode. And if you don't trust me, trust Dave and Joel or aWo. Both really liked the series.
    We are well aware what they think. However, those are the same people who like Fist of the North Star in a non-ironic fashion.
  • Like the hypothetical person interested in giant robots you spoke of, some people may actually like Excel Saga, even as a first or second anime. Case in point, Excel Saga was the second anime I watched. I loved it, and immediately proceeded to give it to a friend of mine who had not seen any anime, and he loved it too.

So yes, it really depends a lot on people's tastes when introducing them to anime. Of course, if you have similar tastes, you can simply recommend anything you yourself like.
  • Excel is a special case. It is a hilarious show and there are elements that can be appreciated by anyone (e.g. Menchi). However, the whole point is that it tries to parody every aspect of anime. You are kind of doing yourself a disservice if you watch it before you have seen what anime does across multiple genres. it does not mean that it can't be enjoyed, just that you can't appreciate all the humor that is there.

It is similar to watching shows as a kid; all of the adult humor (probably) went right over your head.
  • edited May 2008
    I'd have to say, if you mix up Metal Gear 2 with Snakes Revenge that you really are NOT qualified to talk about the metal gears.

I mean, come on, it's not like MGS 3 Subsistence, with the MSX MG games in there is rare or anything.

And, it's a shame, it's got the sort of themes I think R and S might actually like.
    Trust me, just watch the second episode. And if you don't trust me, trust Dave and Joel or aWo. Both really liked the series.
    We are well aware what they think. However, those are the same people who like Fist of the North Star in a non-ironic fashion.
    Wait, hold a second, you mean people are not allowed to look at FoTNS and say "Oh man, that was awesome, I've never seen a move where a guy punches someone a hundred times!" they must look at it as an unintentional comedy at all times?

Christ, that must be a boring world you live in.

I too can appreciate the ironic value of FoTNS but sometimes I accept the concept of someone punching a guy a hundred times or any other of the various super powers in that show to be awesome.
    Also, I think you've read Daryl wrong on the subject, if his guest spot Destroy All Podcasts DX is anything to go by...
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • sometimes I accept the concept of someone punching a guy a hundred times or any other of the various super powers in that show to be awesome.
    To me, they're just silly and poorly animated. I've never found any moment of Fist of the North Star to be anything but hilarious comedy. I like the show, but it's nothing more than a comedy to me.
  • Black Lagoon does not pickup speed until about the fifth episode then it becomes a really good anime. The second season gets darker and more interesting. There have been other shows that start off slow not so great and then do a complete turn around and become really good. One non anime example is Enterprise Fourth Season.
    My suggestion, when introducing new people to anime, be gentle. Show them Cowboy Bebop, Slayers, and the like don't hit them over the head with say Ninja Scroll or Kite. It takes awhile for new people to adjust from the American style of animation to anime.
  • Oh damn, who said that again, Dave and Joel or Rym and Scott? About them not going to bother and watch an anime that only gets good later, after one has watched the meh parts, whereas the other way around they're more likely to watch at least some.
  • edited May 2008
    Oh damn, who said that again, Dave and Joel or Rym and Scott? About them not going to bother and watch an anime that only gets good later, after one has watched the meh parts, whereas the other way around they're more likely to watch at least some.
    There is a discussion to be had about whether a show that gets good later is still good compared to shows that are good the whole way through. There is a discussion to be had about whether it is worth it to suffer through bad episodes of a show in order to get to the good parts. However, when it comes to introducing people to anime who have not had much exposure to it, there is no question.

If someone is new to anime, you are lucky if you have thirty seconds to make a good impression on them. Even if someone might like Gaogaigar, how are you going to get someone who is brand new to anime to sit through 20+ bad episodes before they like it? Most people are so short-sighted that if the first thing you show them doesn't completely blow their minds, they will judge all of anime based on the first minute of anime you show them. If you claim to be a fan, and they are new, they expect you to be showing them something truly amazing. If it doesn't amaze, their attitude will switch instantly, and they will have a cautious attitude against all anime. This is why it is best to start with the big hard-hitting movies with high production values.

Even if Black Lagoon is a good show, in order to be a good introductory show it has to be so awesome that it will amaze 90% of people in the first 15 seconds of the show. If it didn't impress me after an entire episode, then it clearly does not qualify.

Just because you like a show does not mean it is a good introductory show! This is the entire point of the episode. Get it in your head!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2008
    I'd suggest Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as a recommendation for the "epic mecha pwnage or perhaps just general epic" category; I'm not too experienced but what I can say is that it's highly accessible, and fits the amazement criterion within the first episode.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I agree, what you like and think is a good show is not always a good intro to a newbie. Again something good, will catch a persons attention at the get go, but not too over the top to scare them away.
  • Even if Black Lagoon is a good show, in order to be a good introductory show it has to be so awesome that it will amaze 90% of people in the first 15 seconds of the show. If it didn't impress me after an entire episode, then it clearly does not qualify.
    The thing you are leaving out here is that you are jaded. The impression that I get is that you immediately dismissed it after you saw Revy's character design or simply because one of the main characters is a hot chick wielding a gun which goes against the principals you set yourself.
    Just because you like a show does not mean it is a good introductory show! This is the entire point of the episode. Get it in your head!
    I am well aware of that. However I showed Black Lagoon so far to three people who barely even heard of anime before and all of them liked it very much. I introduced people to anime via Black Lagoon and did so successfully.
  • Interjection!

Regarding the "girl on the upper left" who doesn't know the dance. This is probably because she was drunk at the time. That's Yowane Haku, the embodiment of poorly worked Vocaloid tracks. She is very sad. And an alcoholic.
  • Interjection!

Regarding the "girl on the upper left" who doesn't know the dance. This is probably because she was drunk at the time. That's Yowane Haku, the embodiment of poorly worked Vocaloid tracks. She is very sad. And an alcoholic.
    Aye, I bumped into that info yesterday too. Basically she's just a failed Hatsune Miku. I still have to stumble upon information about the other Hatsune Miku girl, the blonde loud one.
  • I'd say that "The Girl who leapt through Time" would be a great movie for people to get into anime, since it doesn't have any of that "wacky anime shit" in it.
  • I'd say that "The Girl who leapt through Time" would be a great movie for people to get into anime, since it doesn't have any of that "wacky anime shit" in it.
    I would throw my support behind that movie too. I just showed it to my dad yesterday, and he loved it. He still didn't like that it had the so-called "dumb faces" that he doesn't like about anime in general whenever I do try to show him something, but he really appreciated the backgrounds, music, characters, and mood of the film. My dad is pretty "meh" about anime in general (this is the man who was mostly un-enthused about Cowboy Bebop, except for the music), so if he really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, that's a pretty high recommendation.
    I would throw my support behind that movie too. I just showed it to my dad yesterday, and he loved it. He still didn't like that it had the so-called "dumb faces" that he doesn't like about anime in general whenever I do try to show him something, but he really appreciated the backgrounds, music, characters, and mood of the film. My dad is pretty "meh" about anime in general (this is the man who was mostly un-enthused about Cowboy Bebop, except for the music), so if he really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, that's a pretty high recommendation.
    Yeah, it's one of the few anime I'm actually planning on buying on DVD. I just saw that it's even available with a German dub! So I'll be able to show most of my friends. ^_~
    I was also quite astonished: is the DVD even out yet in America?
  • I'm completely late to comment on this thread, but my god... Black Lagoon is sort-of awesome. 'Sort-of awesome' in that I completely love it. I'm not really a big anime fan, but I like it enough that I have a sound respect for the medium. Mostly. Black Lagoon is one of those ones which can suck you completely in, where everything is just so vast that you can read into it infinitely. It's one of the first animes I watched, and even though I'm not a crazy-fangirl of the medium, I think it served its purpose of being an introductory show.

So, for shows to introduce people to anime... Cowboy Bebop's pretty good for that, but sometimes people need something which is nice and fun, and doesn't look as though it needs the lights to be turned on. Something that's popular, but not crap. Fullmetal Alchemist, maybe? Not as a big DVD for them to watch in one go, obviously, but sometimes I sit down with my brother and watch a few episodes. Which is nice, because he's got Aspergers and it makes me feel as though we're bonding, even though he tends to ignore me for another month after that...

Of course, it really does matter who you're introducing to anime. e.g. you like Firefly? Have some Cowboy Bebop. You like Orlando? Have some Samurai Champloo. You like Angel? Have some Darker than Black. Matrix? Ghost in the Shell. And the parallels go on.
  • Yeah, it's one of the few anime I'm actually planning on buying on DVD. I just saw that it's even available with a German dub! So I'll be able to show most of my friends. ^_~
    I was also quite astonished: is the DVD even out yet in America?
    Not yet. I showed my dad a high quality fansub of the movie. I think I heard the DVD is coming out here sometime in November.