This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Interesting Projects

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
In English class, we just started our Graphic Novel project, where we select a graphic novel, read it, then make our own small intro to a graphic novel. So far, I've read all of Astro City, and I've got 2 characters, and few outlines of pages, and a rough idea of what's going on in my intro. I'm actually having a lot of fun with this project, because I can draw in class and say I'm working without feeling guilty about not telling the truth.

So, what are some interesting projects you have done or are doing right now?

Comments

• We had to do a coat of arms thing for a Macbeth character. I originally was going to do a painting of a serpent under a rose with blood splatters across it with yellow ribbon for the framing, and the words, "Look like the flower/ but be the serpent under" - Lady Macbeth's coat of arms. Unfortunately, Grad came and kicked my ass, so it ended up being a drawing with pencil crayon blood. ><;

Animation has me doing a photoshop animation, and I decided on a parody of the Kodomo no Jikan ending with my friends as the characters. :3
  • In fifth grade we turned the science room into a rain forest.
  • edited May 2008
    In fifth grade we turned the science room into a rain forest.
    WHOA. I did that too! We made big paper trees that reached up to the ceiling and had plush rain forest animals everywhere. I'm not sure if it was fifth grade for me, though. It may have been fourth.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I did this for a project due last week. Everyone thought it was cool; maybe I should become an animator?
  • We did an English project a while back with our study of Hemingway where we tape recorded a conversation without the participants' knowledge and turn it into a short story using only objective details. That was a blast to write.
  • I have decided to make my own project. It is call "How to become aware of one surroundings". So far so good here what I have learned so far:

A couple of days ago I went running, I felt that it was right for me to go running that day, do not ask why?
    I also decided to leave my Ipod at home, I do not know why I think I wanted to listen to something more than the normal music that I would always listen ( if you know me most of it would be either Japanesepop/anime music, soundtracks or podcasts)
    So I went ahead and started to run, nothing special at first so I bored and started to mentally listen to some music for a while and little by little I felt that I was actually running and I didn't needed the metal music anymore.
    I kept on going up hill and down hill, and up hill and down hill one more time, I felt like I was flying, I was running the way I used to run back when I was kid (if you know me well, you know what I am talking about. But I did not care).
    I was flying and I had not one care in the world, I was free!
    But eventually I stopped looking at the sky and look at the ground for a second and in front of me there was a little caterpillar, pretty little thing!
    I became aware of it so I stopped immediately since it was trying to cross the road, and if I would have kept running I would have killed.
    I sat down and started to look at the little caterpillar cross the road until it lost itself in the tiny grass jungle.
    I had a smile I am yet to know why?
    So I kept on going, it was getting cold this time I tried to be a little more aware of my surroundings.
    Then I started to see an infinite black spots on the ground, I was in shock when I realize the number of caterpillars that died that very same day, maybe from people that were not aware of their surroundings and just kept on going with their lives.
    But I wonder how may lives just stopped in a second, how many caterpillars were not able to bloom and transform into beautiful butterflies, how many flowers will not be pollinated and produce more beauty that will charm even the most forgotten soul.
    I thought to myself, We humans are so small and know so little of our own universe. But we care about our lives, why would we not care for the little caterpillars that try to survive?
    Maybe we don't because we do not know.
    Is it wrong for us to be carefree as long as we are happy? What if we do not know we that we are unintentionally harming a life that tries to make it an become a beautiful butterfly someday.
    I know many would say: "if it does not affect me it does not matter" , or "what is the life of a butterfly in the grand scheme of things?"

I for one have decided to be more aware of my surroundings, because I just realize that we all are little caterpillars in the eyes of the universe. And I will always wait for the day that humanity will cross the road and transform into the most beautiful butterfly in the universe.

Sorry if I bore you :P
  • Feel better, for maybe they were gypsy moths that eat the trees all up. The gypsy moths are out in force in Beacon and while I like to watch them going pitta-patta all around, they eat EVERYTHING. I agree that it's nice to be conscious of yourself in relation to the grand scheme of things. I think it makes people a little more humble and compassionate. However, one must also accept nature as it is, complete with death and trouble. One cannot stop the tiger from eating the deer; the deer must die for the tiger to live. Caterpillars also have a difficult time of it, and often they die in great numbers without any assistance from humans. That's nature, the world in which we live. To accept your surroundings is also to accept the sadness along with the joy and beauty.
  • For my English final we had to take on of the books we read this year and take a movie and combine the two and make a parody. My group did the Stranger and Stranger than Fiction. It was really fun to do and turned out quite well, expecially considering some of the other movies that were made.
  • I had the most bizarre way of doing a book report in 10th Grade.

Make a soundtrack to a book.

Actually turned out nicely and I scared half the class when I whipped out some FF tunes in there.
  • edited May 2008
    Feel better, for maybe they were gypsy moths that eat the trees all up. The gypsy moths are out in force in Beacon and while I like to watch them going pitta-patta all around, they eat EVERYTHING. I agree that it's nice to be conscious of yourself in relation to the grand scheme of things. I think it makes people a little more humble and compassionate. However, one must also accept nature as it is, complete with death and trouble. One cannot stop the tiger from eating the deer; the deer must die for the tiger to live. Caterpillars also have a difficult time of it, and often they die in great numbers without any assistance from humans. That's nature, the world in which we live. To accept your surroundings is also to accept the sadness along with the joy and beauty.
    That is what I am trying to achieve, joy :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I had the most bizarre way of doing a book report in 10th Grade.

Make a soundtrack to a book.

Actually turned out nicely and I scared half the class when I whipped out some FF tunes in there.
    We did that my freshmen year of highschool... Or sophomore.

The teacher split us up into groups and everyone picked one song to represent something in Wuthering Heights (what a terrible book, IIRC), then you wrote a short essay on why your song fit. I think I used "Pay For What You Get" by the Dave Matthews Band.

Not a bad concept for a class assignment, now that I look back on it.