This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080527 - Dr. Mario

edited May 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the new WiiWare Dr. Mario. In the news the Penny Arcade game is out, and selling crazily. Warlords is out on XBLA also.

Scott's Thing - Import Genius
Rym's Thing - Hello Kitty Army

Comments

• Unfortunately, there's nothing new in this game apart from the online mode. Virus Buster is taken from a mini-game in Brain Age 2 (DS) and the Flash mode was present in the Nintendo 64 and GameCube versions (along with the Cube and QueQue music, which were renamed to Cough and Sneeze).

It is still the awesomes though and I bought it. One thing you didn't mention though, is that you can send a demo to your friends for free. It's an online only demo, but useful for those friends that haven't played Dr. Mario or are borderline for purchasing it.
  • I had to post this.

• Lolz at the pic dude!

Anyway, me and the gang would play this on the SNES with Tetris. I suck at Dr. Mario.
  • I saw Boom Blox on sale at Walmart and Target for $40. It's not $30, but it's cheaper than $50. My boyfriend and I purchased the game over the weekend and probably have invested 5+ hours already. The game is pretty damn fun. The only thing we found annoying was how wonky the game sensed the Wii-mote. During VS. in multi-player our pointer would just register all over. I don't think it's our sensory bar because on other games it works just fine.

The create mode looks insane. I really haven't researched it, but I wonder if you can share your created levels. It would be interesting to see what other people come up with.
  • I still have plenty of ms points left, but I doubt I'll have as much fun watching phallic imagary as I'm having with DOOM (Also 400 points).
    Wow, that was fast. Hello Kithulhu.
  • I used to play 40k until I realized how bad the rules were. The rules are so entwined with profit on Game Workshops part its ridiculous. If you are thinking of starting 40k check out WARMACHINE. Steam powered robots controlled by wizards. The rules for the game are really awesome to boot.
  • I purchased Dr. Mario yesterday and played for a few hours. It's interesting that you can send messages to your opponent in online vs. mode. One guy sent me a message saying, "Do you think you can beat me?" I really didn't think anything of it and just played. I laughed at the fact that only a minute in, after getting some combos on him, he saw he couldn't win, so he made himself lose. He didn't want to continue battling after that. ^_^

The new songs are pretty decent, however, I'll never stop digging "Fever".
  • A member of another forum I visit makes his own arcade cabinets which are powered by MAME, including a cocktail cabinet (which was his first project). He keeps everything updated on different blogs. Besides giving some plans and ideas, this is proof that an amateur arcade cabinet is possible (the guy's a lawyer, for chrissakes).

His first project, a cocktail cabinet
    Something he made for his daughter (watch the video, he put some cool stuff in)
    His current project, something slim for a relative's beach house
  • A member of another forum I visit makes his own arcade cabinets which are powered by MAME, including a cocktail cabinet (which was his first project). He keeps everything updated on different blogs. Besides giving some plans and ideas, this is proof that an amateur arcade cabinet is possible (the guy's a lawyer, for chrissakes).
    We know this isn't new. Plenty of people have made all kinds of MAME cabinets.