This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How to Move Forward?

edited May 2008 in GeekNights
I'm in sort of a predicament lately with the GeekNights and life in general. I work, I commute, I do the GeekNights, I sleep, I eat, and I live life. However, I want to start doing other things. Those things include makin videos, making software, making video games, etc. I'm hoping that one of these other things, most likely the software, will result in something that I can do as a full-time job.

The problem is that because of GeekNights and such, I don't have enough free time to work on any of these other things. I mean, I could have had a few videos done by now, but I have high standards of quality. Also, while I technically have enough hours in the day to possibly do more than I am doing now, I don't have the physical and mental power to do so. You see how even GeekNights alone suffers when we are tired. Even with a spare hour or two before bedtime, I can't be productive if my brain is fried.

One solution would be to try to turn GeekNights into the thing that is my full-time job, but we already promised that we wouldn't make money from that. Even if you guys were all cool with it, I still wouldn't do it, because a promise is a promise.

I think in the near future we might reduce the quantity of GeekNights to two episodes per week. That means every other week will be a Monday/Wednesday Week and the other week will be a Tuesday/Thursday week, or something along those lines. In other words, each individual GeekNights night will have one episode every two weeks.

However, this will be accompanied by an increase in other FRC content, such as videos and more. We will force ourselves to spend the time we would have spent on those missing GeekNights episodes on other endeavors. Those other endeavors include pretty much all the stuff we have shit-talked about all this time. However, we might try to make money somehow off of these non-GeekNights ventures. If it bears fruit we might be able to quit jobs, bring GeekNights back up to speed, and produce more than ever before.

Yeah, something has to happen soon. We'll see how it goes.

Comments

• I think in the near future we might reduce the quantity of GeekNights to two episodes per week. That means every other week will be a Monday/Wednesday Week and the other week will be a Tuesday/Thursday week, or something along those lines. In other words, each individual GeekNights night will have one episode every two weeks.
    This is probably the best solution in my opinion. I think you are starting to burn out after doing Geeknights so many days a week.
  • Even though I will miss listening to 4 pocasts a week from you guys, it basically comes down to "You gotta do what you gotta do to make you happy". If anything it gives me more time to listen to other podcasts or even go back to listening music. (Gasp!) Also, as you said you'll be working on other FRC content, so in essence we're not losing Geek Nights, but we're either getting more or the same amount, but in a different way.

Two Geek Nights a week is better than one or none at all. I'm still surprised that you two were still able to keep 4 a week for this long, so basically, Thanks.
  • Ganbare, Scott. I know you two have been beat lately, what with your late work and Rym's insanely early work. I was wondering if you guys were going to cut down one of these days.

But hey...Does this mean I might actually get to spend time with my boyfriend now?
  • Yeah, something has to happen soon. We'll see how it goes.
    Sometimes we all need a vacation. Good luck whatever decision you make.
  • You can't do less geeknights! I, as a Geeknighst fan, DEMAND that you keep going at this rate. In fact, I wish you INCREASE the amount of geeknights!

(/sarcasm)
  • edited May 2008
    I would be all for a change to a schedule like this. Sure, it's really nice to have four days a week, but I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we can all live with less. Even if you cut down to two a week, that's still a lot more often than the vast majority of podcasts out there. We've been super spoiled by you guys up to this point in terms of the amount of content we receive on a regular basis, and cutting it down to "only" two episodes a week would just cut us down to being regular spoiled. ;)

So, yes. By all means, yes, cut down the frequency and make room for more awesome, important things!
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I would hope and assume that the cut down in episodes will mean an increase in the general quality of the show. This is not a criticism of the show but a reasonable expectation.
  • I've told you my opinion on monetization. Since you won't monetize Geeknights, moving into something you will monetize makes sense. Most podcasters who use advertising don't make enough from it to quit their day jobs, but some do. Change is good. You can't take the next step if you aren't willing to try something new.
  • While I'll be sad, and possibly bored, when GeekNights goes from 4 nights a week to 2, I agree with what others in here have said. That being that it is very clear that doing 4 episodes a week is taxing on you guys, hence why the majority of podcasts are only once a week, or month, or whenever (like AWO), and that we're awfully spoiled with those numbers. However, I do wish to suggest that perhaps, if/once you move to two shows/week, you should spread the days a bit. Say move Thursday to Friday and Wednesday to Thursday. Else a very irregular schedule will come out. Wednesday being the last show for week A and then Tuesday being the first show of week B, whereas the end of week B will be on Thursday and week C will start already again on Monday. Or do something else entirely like just have two broadcast days in the week and alternate between subjects, though that would pretty much destroy the themes as they are now.

This suggestion requires some tweaking to suit your tastes as to be worthy of consideration, but either way, I'll keep listening. :)

And perhaps you'll be able to review a full, long anime again then.
  • If you reduce the frequency of the show I suggest you do an open calendar of upcoming topics. Listeners could then send questions and make suggestions for upcoming shows. This might take a little of the work out and just might make the shows better.
  • edited May 2008
    Another positive side effect of cutting down the number of shows you put out per week could mean that you can make somewhat longer shows without having to worry about using too much space on Libsyn, should you ever want to.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Maybe some of the other FRC will get off our collective butts and try some podcasting to fill in gaps. :-p
  • edited May 2008
    You guys could do like Fast Karate and record one two hour show about different things and split it up between two days.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • Maybe some of the other FRC will get off our collective butts and try some podcasting to fill in gaps. :-p
    Yeah, you lazy fucks. I thought FRC.com was meant for all of the Front Row Crew to produce content, not just leave the burden on Rym and Scott ~_^
  • Yeah, you lazy fucks. I thought FRC.com was meant for all of the Front Row Crew to produce content, not just leave the burden on Rym and Scott ~_^
    They're all playing World of Warcraft or getting married instead.
  • Why, I'm not doing either of those things! I'm hard at work producing content, just not the kind that you want. Bunnies flying to the moon and weird Comic books and stuff like that. Just not Geeknights.
  • Why, I'm not doing either of those things! I'm hard at work producing content, just not the kind that you want. Bunnies flying to the moon and weird Comic books and stuff like that. Just not Geeknights.
    It doesn't matter what kind of content I want. The peoples, they want to see your moon bunnies.
  • Yay! I'll have to finish my moon bunnies then.
  • edited May 2008
    Go for it! All of us can't wait to hear of anything you're doing. If anyone needs a break in the podcasting world it's you guys!

Rest does equal better quality.
    Yay! I'll have to finish my moon bunnies then.
    I like bunnies and the moon. <3
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I say go along with making GN less nights a week. It's incredible that you can do the work you do already. I think if you continue to make shows where you are tired, your fans will start to drop out. Happier Scott will produce better shows. If you do ever get to the point where you are developing for Wii Ware, it would make for an awesome show. The same goes for all your other new experiences.
  • I think in the near future we might reduce the quantity of GeekNights to two episodes per week.
    I recommended this a long time ago. Quality is better than quantity. You guys have been living with a schedule that would have broken mere mortals a long time ago.
  • I saw the words "Moon Bunnies" and already know the future is going to be good.
    I certainly think Scrym should be focusing more of their efforts into the money making softwares and such things.
    If you could work out what Rezound is doing and then repack that into a program for easy podcast creation you'd be onto a winner.
    I think other people could be brought on-board to fill the gaps between the shows.
  • Quality is better than quantity in any case, so cutting down on episodes to make the ones you release better is probably good, plus you're adding some more extras - so it's not like you're cutting down the show. But if Geeknights is fucking with your life? Yeah, cut down on that shit. Geeknights is not more important than your quality of life.
  • plus you're adding some more extras
    The other things we are doing are not extras. I don't want people to think that the videos I'm making are just GeekNights videos. They are completely separate productions of Front Row Crew Studios. They are not attached to GeekNights, they are just produced by the same people.
  • Advertising and sponsorships are not a bad thing if done tastefully. Is it really so bad to begin the show with a quick 30 second "Today's show is brought to you by company XYZ! Go to them for all your consonant needs..."

Plenty of podcasters do it tastefully, no reason you can't do it too. As long as you don't try to hide it or make it a segment (TWiT) on the show, who cares? Besides, you guys are always talking about Amazon and other tech stores why not just put up some affiliate links in the show notes when you talk about something on the show? The listeners get to hear what you think and if they buy it based on your review you get a (small) cut of the sale.

I'm not telling you to take on shady advertisers either. You need only take on those you want.
  • Who the fuck are we to approve or disapprove of your decision?

• Plenty of podcasters do it tastefully, no reason you can't do it too. As long as you don't try to hide it or make it a segment (TWiT) on the show, who cares? Besides, you guys are always talking about Amazon and other tech stores why not just put up some affiliate links in the show notes when you talk about something on the show? The listeners get to hear what you think and if they buy it based on your review you get a (small) cut of the sale.

I'm not telling you to take on shady advertisers either. You need only take on those you want.
    I agree. However, we promised not to advertise on GeekNights. Therefore, we must advertise on something else.
  • I agree. However, we promised not to advertise on GeekNights. Therefore, we must advertise on something else.
    Isn't that just being a bit stubborn? You seem to think that because you promised something a long time ago you can't change your mind. However back then Geeknights was a smaller thing, a hobby, and with ads you could possibly make it something more than that. The circumstances have changed so it's understandable that your policy could as well.

Aren't you just cutting off your nose to bite your face? Your audience doesn't mind if you put in ads, so you're only refusing to to keep your anti-corporate pride. From what you've said this means a whole lot more effort for you, basically cutting off part of Geeknights to try your luck in other mediums where you have varying amounts of experience / followers instead of sticking with what so far has been your core competency.

You've shown yourself to basically be amongst the elite of the podcasting field (whether you could monetise this is a different issue) and you've built up a solid base that doesn't mind at all if you advertise or not; go profit from it! I think we'd probably prefer you to put ads in the show if it could then stay at four nights per week.

In my opinion the real reason to shift your focus slightly is because there's so much more money and audience in other areas. As Thead said last week, far more people consume video than audio content, and the Geeknights fans you can bring along with you should be seen as a bonus.
  • I think the solution here is to try to get some other members of the Front Row Crew to help with the podcast. It would be a great change of pace to get some new voices on the show and they could take over on the nights that Scrym can't do.
  • If you want some quick monetization methods that will not offend your audience I can hook you up real fast.