This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Roman Books?

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
After listening to Twelve Byzantine Emperors, I'm looking for other interesting books concerning Roman history (either Byzantine or Western Roman). I recently picked up Plutarch's Fall of the Roman Republic, and was wondering what else forum-goers would recommend.

Also, I remember either Rym or Scott mentioning a certain book in one of the podcasts. It was a history of Greece, written by a Roman Historian. I remember it contrasted the Greek religious society with the Roman secular one. What was it called?

Comments

• If you like a good sarcastic read on history I have to recommend the book, "The rise and fall of just about everybody" (I think that was the title). I read this book in the 80's (written in 50's or 60's) and it is a great satirical book on history and how empires rise and then fall.

I've tried searching online for the book but no luck yet.
  • I hate to be predictable, but...
  • I like how Rym's a woman.
  • There's a lot of primary sources that are really interesting reads. Caesar's Comentarii De Bello Gallico/De Bello Civili are really cool (and nearly 100% propaganda), Livy's many of volumes of Roman history are also good (although extremely complex and convoluted when read in Latin). There are many other good ones, but I cannot recall them off the top of my head.
  • Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

It is over 3000, pages, but it is an amazing book. He writes very well.

He is biased against the Byzantines, considering them 1000 years of decline, but it's a very good book nonetheless.
  • jccjcc
    edited May 2008
    I hate to be predictable, but...
    I'm agnostic. :)

Also, Plutarch's Parallel Lives is an interesting one.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Robert Graves' Claudius books or Julian by Gore Vidal.
  • One of the only things I enjoy doing during Latin class is translating old Roman history texts. ^^
  • It was a history of Greece, written by a Roman Historian. I remember it contrasted the Greek religious society with the Roman secular one.
    I don't remember hearing anything about this on Geek Nights, and it doesn't immediately ring any bells. You might be able to find what your looking for here though...
    Internet Ancient History Sourcebook

If you're looking for a book on Roman history that's also a fun read, I'd recommend Suetonius' Lives of the Twelve Caesars. The Penguin edition is accessible, and it's translated by R. Graves, who was mentioned in an earlier post. I haven't read the novel I, Claudius, but the miniseries is out on DVD, and it's awesome. It is fast and loose with historical facts, so I'd recommend reading Suetonius, too, if you decide to watch it.
  • All of the Roman historians were fast and loose with the facts. Most of them were propagandists for the Senate and against the Caesars. Tacitus is thought to be the one who was closest to our modern idea of an objective historian, though I've never read him myself.
  • Tacitus is thought to be the one who was closest to our modern idea of an objective historian, though I've never read him myself.
    Tacitus was required reading in my high school history class. Highly recommended.
  • All of the Roman historians were fast and loose with the facts.
    Ancient authors were often more explicit about their agendas. There was a greatly different idea of accuracy and no concern over intellectual property, so yeah, to some extent, they all were. Suetonius did have access to imperial archives (as he was in charge of imperial correspondence for Hadrian), and he's about as accurate as we can expect even if his history does read like the Enquirer. I was, however, referring to the miniseries, which is faster and looser.
    As for Tacitus, I wouldn't put his objectivity too high on the pedestal, as he has his own ideas about the government of the day, and this colors much of his work.