This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Christian Manga

edited May 2008 in Manga/Comics
Have you seen this? I'm not posting so much for the content of the article, but for the manga panels. However, do you agree with any part of the article at all? It kinda gets into Godwin territory a little.

Comments

• How do they know Jesus screamed when his hands were nailed? (Obviously under the assumption you believe what they write).
  • edited May 2008
    How do they know Jesus screamed when his hands were nailed? (Obviously under the assumption you believe what they write).
    It's manga, so someone has to do some screaming. I wonder if there are any giant robots.

I'm more inclined to wonder how they think he could keep his beard trimmed like that in his day and age. Maybe it was a miracle.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Everyone should read Battle Pope.
  • edited May 2008
    I wonder if there are any giant robots.
    Of course, they have to be historically correct.

P.S. Did anyone else notice that Jesus kind of looked like Rym?
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • I liked this better when it was called Fist of the Northstar.
  • No, I can one up you. When I was doing my first internship a Korean Studio sent this to my bosses, trying to get this property licensed.

Space Bible
    Title: SPACE BIBLE Genre: Animation Category: Religion Format: 2D-3D Type: OVA Duration: 30min x 7 Language: Korea, English Year: 2004 Production: Hyun Young Enterprise Co., Ltd. Product Info.

The Bible may be a little pedantic for today's children. The Space Bible is constructed to overcome this barrier for our children by reproducing the same stories as an interesting, SF action adventure. While the 7 recreated stories are rigorously faithful to the original stories and relate the basic religious messages such as forgiveness and peace, they also deal with some current issues like cloning and genetic engineering. With the intention of global distribution, English has been used from the planning stages of the production.

Synopsis: A long time in the future, Noah, a space scientist received a revelation from God. God had told him to leave Eden for another planet called Canaan. There was to be a great expansion of the sun in which Eden would be destroyed. To escape, Noah began to build a space shuttle with the help of his family. Although some people made fun of him and thought his actions ridiculous, Noah lifted off in his new shuttle with his family, those that believed in the revelation, and fertilized animal eggs. Soon after Noah had left Eden, the sun suddenly expanded and destroyed the planet. The journey to Canaan was long. After ten generations on board the shuttle, it became very crowded. As time passed, people on the ship except for Abraham and his family began to forget about the existence of God and lost interest in his words. To them, Eden was only a myth from the distant past. After a long journey, the spaceship reached its destination. What the people found was disappointing. Canaan was not the paradise that they had dreamed about. People decided to move to other neighboring planet with better living conditions. However, Abraham and his family remained on the planet as God had ordered. Even with the better living conditions than Canaan, settling down was not easy on the neighboring planets. A lot of work had to be done to develop the new frontier. The work was dangerous and the new settlements lacked man-power. The answer to all their problems, they thought, seemed to be massive reproduction or better known as cloning. People built "Placenta" for reproduction and slowly imagined themselves as God as they reproduced workers. The number of clones expanded astronomically. Although cloning was seen as the answer to their labor problems, it created a greater danger. These clones were not content to remain as workers. They wanted to rule and control the planet system. For their goal, the clones realized that they had to increase the reproduction at "Placenta" and to destroy them. It was belief that had the power to unite people of the universe in order to defend against enemies such as "Placenta" clones.
  • The most offensive thing about this is the quality of the artwork.
  • How do they know Jesus screamed when his hands were nailed? (Obviously under the assumption you believe what they write).
    It's manga, so someone has to do some screaming. I wonder if there are any giant robots.

I'm more inclined to wonder how they think he could keep his beard trimmed like that in his day and age. Maybe it was a miracle.
    I am fairly positive that knives and other such facial-hair-trimmers were around at the turn of the millennium. And when was the last time you got your hands nailed to something and didn't scream a bit?

I am fairly positive that knives and other such facial-hair-trimmers were around at the turn of the millennium. And when was the last time you got your hands nailed to something and didn't scream a bit?
    Knives, yes. How about razors? Try shaving with a steak knife.

I don't think that good mirrors and shaving cream were contemporaneous either.
  • Knives, yes. How about razors? Try shaving with a steak knife.
    You can shave pretty handily with a knife if you sharpen it well enough. I've done it. I don't know about the quality of knives and sharpening stones back then, but eh. They had to be good enough to trim the hair. I mean, what did Delilah cut Samson's hair with?
  • I mean, what did Delilah cut Samson's hair with?
    Well, nothing, since there's no real evidence that he existed... ^_~
  • Well, nothing, since there's no real evidence that he existed... ^_~
    Dammit, logic! However, if the concept of cutting someone's hair existed...
  • Well, nothing, since there's no real evidence that he existed... ^_~
    Dammit, logic! However, if the concept of cutting someone's hair existed...
    Ah, but existed when? Remember what that biblical scholar guy said? The oldest archaelogical artifacts we have are mostly from the middle ages. Older than that we only have a few scraps here and there. The middle ages sucked, but they certainly had sharp things. In fact, anacrhonisms like that are excellent evidence that biblical stories are much newer than people believe they are.
  • The middle ages sucked, but they certainly had sharp things.
    I would argue that the presence in quantity of said sharp things, coupled with their indiscriminate use, had a lot to do with the sucking.
  • I mean, what did Delilah cut Samson's hair with?
    Well, nothing, since there's no real evidence that he existed... ^_~
    Now now, can't be throwing around negative proof indiscriminately, or you edge into fallacy territory. :) Maybe a better phrasing might be that we can't say anything useful about the hair cutting implement used specifically in that event (as opposed to hair cutting implements used during that time period in general) because we don't have enough information about the event itself, and we can't say anything useful about the event itself because we don't have enough information about the people supposedly involved?
  • edited May 2008
    Knives, yes. How about razors? Try shaving with a steak knife.
    You can shave pretty handily with a knife if you sharpen it well enough. I've done it. I don't know about the quality of knives and sharpening stones back then, but eh. They had to be good enough to trim the hair. I mean, what did Delilah cut Samson's hair with?
    Just as you said, you shaved with a modern knife. I do not believe that putting a razor edge on a knife would have been trivial to first century types, especially poor first century types like Jesus. Also, they might have been able to trim hair or hack off large chunks like Samson, but Jesus' beard in the comic book is sculpted.

Have you ever seen this image of Jesus wearing a T-shirt and blue jeans? I'd like to see more images like that. Maybe someone could paint Jesus in a business suit, or a tuxedo.
  • edited May 2008
    Wow, the art in that comic is absolutely terrible! Overly generic and super-shitty anime style GO!
    Everyone should read Battle Pope.
    Seriously, EVERYBODY should read Battle Pope. It is totally awesome.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Wow, the art in that comic is absolutely terrible! Overly generic and super-shitty anime style GO!
    It's worse than that. It's plain incompetent. Look at how crooked those faces are.
  • Bluh...Battle Pope. Don't get me started.
  • Knives, yes. How about razors? Try shaving with a steak knife.
    Just as you said, you shaved with a modern knife. I do not believe that putting a razor edge on a knife would have been trivial to first century types, especiallypoorfirst century types like Jesus. Also, they might have been able to trim hair or hack off large chunks like Samson, but Jesus' beard in the comic book issculpted.

Have you ever seenthisimage of Jesus wearing a T-shirt and blue jeans? I'd like to see more images like that. Maybe someone could paint Jesus in a business suit, or a tuxedo.
    The Romans had barbers, I'm 100% sure of that, so the possibility of having a sculpted hair style was not out of the question.
  • edited May 2008
    The Romans had barbers, I'm 100% sure of that, so the possibility of having a sculpted hair style was not out of the question.
    Of course, all of these points presuppose that Jesus existed.

1. Even if you accept that Jesus existed, there is no evidence that he ever went to Rome. Even if he did, or even if you say that it's not important that he went to Rome, there is evidence that he did not emulate the Romans.

2. Jesus was poor. He couldn't have afforded to be a metrosexual.

3. Jesus was not vain. He wouldn't have given a damn what his beard looked like.

That's it. I'm finished discussing Jesus' grooming habits.
  • Maybe it just grew that way. He was the SON OF GOD YOU KNOW.
  • Jesus was poor? Where are you getting that? Look up the events surrounding one of the Nativity narratives and you'll see he was give a load of gifts at his birth:

Matthew 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

Maybe they only gave him a little bit of gold and Joseph spent it all on a new set of tools. Or maybe the Luke narrative is the right one and there were no wise men or gifts. Or maybe we just have no clue if Jesus existed or not. I guess I'm a Jesus agnostic.

Your other points are debatable too, but it's late and I can't be arsed.
  • Arguments for and against Jesus being poor. I'm very much persuaded that he was poor.