This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080602 - Denial of Service

edited June 2008 in GeekNights
In light of recent events, tonight on GeekNights we discuss denial of service attacks and defenses. In the nest, Best Buy is going to recycle electronics and the FCC tries to slip in the bad with the good.

Scott's Thing - Red Office
Rym's Thing - Awesome Accordion

Comments

• I don't know if the TotD was for this reason or not, but apparently June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
  • Out of the four options I'd like to hear about cyber warfare on the technical level.
  • For some good info on the Rev3 denial of service attack listing to the latest TWiT the Rev3 CEO was on and they talked at length about it, including possible ramifications
  • I watched that episode on Twit Live. The after show conversations were funny.
  • Scott, I think you meant you got now four podcasts and everyone comes out bi-monthly. Not bi-weekly :)
  • Actually, bi-weekly can mean both twice a week and every two weeks. Same for bi-monthly. Yeah, kinda confusing, but that's what the Oxford dictionary site tells me. http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/bimonthly?view=uk
  • There's also this Rev3 Blog Post by CEO Jim Louderback.
  • Actually, bi-weekly can mean both twice a weekandevery two weeks. Same for bi-monthly. Yeah, kinda confusing, but that's what the Oxford dictionary site tells me.http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/bimonthly?view=uk
    This is true, I used the term bi-weekly in the How to Move Forward thread iirc, had to double check if it meant exactly what I meant and it did, alongside once every 2 weeks.

Out of the four options, ehm... I'm interested in all, but I think my preference goes out to the "Cyber warfare on a Technical level."
  • I would like to hear about defending from attacks.
  • I was hoping you guys would talk about this. It was everywhere so it not like noone would know.

I actually would like to hear the technical details of DOS attacks.
  • edited June 2008
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Security Now! Episode 8: DDOS Attacks

There ya go Viga.
    Cools....so I change my vote to hackers now! :P
  • Security Now! Episode 8: DDOS Attacks

There ya go Viga.
    Cools....so I change my vote to hackers now! :P
    Are you easy to satisfy.
  • So if we're able to knock out all 4 options what happens then? XD
  • So if we're able to knock out all 4 options what happens then? XD
    Viga will explode. *laughs maniacally*
  • I would find either topic equally fascinating.

I am sad that Geeknights is going to two episodes per week, but if that gives you guys the energy to get to the next level...then that is nothing but distilled awesome.
  • Have you tried calling or emailing the city for info on local electronics recycling? Or pestering the city in general about making electronics recycling easier?

http://www.cityofbeacon.org/Beacon/BeaconRecycle.htm.
  • I watched twit too. I am still waiting to see what Rose has to say about it on diggnation. There might be angry tea flinging.

I always check with local computer stores for recycling. There is usually always somebody taking computer parts. There is one guy here that uses to make computers for poor children. (where was he when I was growing up)