This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

June Comics Pre-Order

edited June 2008 in Manga/Comics
Post what you are ordering this month. Most of these books will ship in August.

GIRL WHO COULD RUN THROUGH TIME VOL 01 (C: 1-0-0) *Special Discount* - It's the girl who "leapt" through time. Get it right.

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #12

SPIDER-MAN TP KRAVENS LAST HUNT - People hype this up so much, so I'll check it out.

MOUSE GUARD WINTER 1152 #6 (OF 6)

MOUSE GUARD RPG HC (C: 0-1-2) *Special Discount* - Luke Crane, Burning Wheel, OMG!

BIONIC COMMANDO #0 *Special Discount* - It's based on the new video game, not the old, but what the hell, right?

DUNGEON MONSTRES TP VOL 02 (C: 0-1-2)

QUEEN & COUNTRY DEFINITIVE ED TP VOL 03 *Special Discount*

ATOMIC ROBO DOGS OF WAR #1 (OF 5) *Special Discount*

BECK MONGOLIAN CHOP SQUAD GN VOL 13 (OF 19)

OWLY GN VOL 05 TINY TALES

TEZUKA DORORO GN VOL 03 (C: 0-1-2)

Comments

• SPIDER-MAN TP KRAVENS LAST HUNT - People hype this up so much, so I'll check it out.
    This is the only one on the list with which I am familiar in any way. I didn't particularly like it. I would not advise spending any money for it.
  • MOUSE GUARD WINTER 1152 #6 (OF 6)
    As much as I would love to get this to read what's new in the story, I'm just holding off for the trade coming out in December. *sigh*

However, I was recently at the local comic book shop and saw this. I almost bought it in a heartbeat, however my better judgement reminded me that I honestly have no need for new plushies. >.>
  • edited June 2008
    INDIANA JONES & TOMB OF THE GODS #3 (OF 4)

STORMING PARADISE #2 (OF 6)

BROTHERS IN ARMS #4

PREVIEWS VOL XVIII #8

WAR THAT TIME FORGOT #4 (OF 12)

CASEY BLUE BEYOND TOMORROW #4 (OF 6)

BEYOND WONDERLAND #1 (OF 6) *Special Discount*

AIR #1 (MR)

UNIVERSAL WAR ONE #2 (OF 6) (MR)

RAY HARRYHAUSEN PRESENTS BACK MYSTERIOUS ISLE #2

CHALLENGER DEEP #2 (OF 4)

STATION #3 (OF 5)

DOCTOR WHO FORGOTTEN #1

1001 ARABIAN NIGHTS ADVENTURES OF SINBAD #4

RED MASS FOR MARS #3 (OF 4) (RES)

I just got my first ever comic pre-order this week from TFAW. (I now use DCBS). I've only read Casey Blue so far. It was disturbing for two reasons. First, it was freaking short for $2.99. It says 32 pages, but I swear it was more like 15. They obviously count advertisements. Secondly, she was drawn in a disturbingly sexualized way for a 16 year old girl. Given the age of her character, it bordered on the offensive.

Here is what I mean:
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • PREVIEWS VOL XVIII #8 - Good luck with this. Actually, I ordered the Previews last month, so I could use it to make a video showing how ludicrous it is.

I'm waiting for the trade on both of these bad boys.

UNIVERSAL WAR ONE #2 (OF 6) (MR)
    RED MASS FOR MARS #3 (OF 4) (RES)
    First, it was freaking short for $2.99. It says 32 pages, but I swear it was more like 15. They obviously count advertisements.
    There's a reason that the vast majority of what I buy is trades.
    Secondly, she was drawn in a disturbingly sexualized way for a 16 year old girl. Given the age of her character, it bordered on the offensive.
    And now you know why most comic shops have so few women in them.
  • Previews is only $1.12 from DCBS. Since I'm a newbie to comics, I like to get it just to peruse what's out there.
  • Previews is only $1.12 from DCBS. Since I'm a newbie to comics, I like to get it just to peruse what's out there.
    Yeah, I got it once also to get started, but I never got it again. It isn't worth paying even a measly $1.12 for something which I can get online for free. DCBS lets you download txt or doc versions with all the descriptions, and the pictures are on their website. The only thing that actually buying Previews gets you is all the advertisements, and it is easier to take into the bathroom than a laptop.
  • edited June 2008
    I think that I'm going to make a shift in how I order comics. I'm going to write down the mini-series that interest me and just wait until the trade comes out.

The problem is that I want stuff NOW, and I don't know enough about the trades that DCBS is currently releasing for pre-order.

Having said all of that... with the steep discounts that DCBS gives on comics, are the trades that good of a deal? Does DCBS also give nice discounts on the trades?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited June 2008
    Having said all of that... with the steep discounts that DCBS gives on comics, are the trades that good of a deal? Does DCBS also give nice discounts on the trades?
    Yeah, the discounts on the trades are right up there with the discounts on the comics. Let's pick a few trades at random from my recent boxes and orders and look at the prices. I'll compare the DCBS price to the cover price, Amazon price, and also the InStockTrades price. IST is run by the same company as DCBS. It is the site they use to sell trades that they have in stock that were not pre-ordered. IST has free shipping on orders over $50. Amazon also often has free shipping. DCBS has the flat rate shipping now.

This is just a random sample. I went through my orders and just picked a few books. This is not enough data to form any general conclusion about the overall savings of using any of these services.

MPD Psycho Vol 6
    Cover - $10.95
    DCBS - $7.12
    IST - $7.12
    Amazon - $8.76

Exterminators Vol. 4
    Cover - $14.99
    DCBS - $8.99
    IST - $9.44
    Amazon - $10.19

Green Lantern Rebirth
    Cover - $14.99
    DCBS - $8.99
    IST - $9.44
    Amazon - $10.19

Penny Arcade - Volume 5
    Cover - $12.95
    DCBS - $8.42
    IST - NA
    Amazon - $10.36

A good way to get started in trade reading is to look for a series that is already 2 or 3 volumes deep. Go buy the first volume, and if you like it, pre-order the future volumes. You get something now, and you get something later.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think that's definitely the way to go.
  • edited June 2008
    I've only read Casey Blue so far. It was disturbing for two reasons. First, it was freaking short for $2.99. It says 32 pages, but I swear it was more like 15.
    Okay, I just checked. It's nowhere near 32 pages, and there are only 10 pages of actual Casey Blue comic. The cover price is $2.99.

The weird thing is that I'm wondering if I'm missing pages. I read a review, and the review definitely referred to stuff that's not in my copy. That makes sense, since including the cover and back, I've only got 20 pages in my book.

And here I was wondering why there seemed to be a jump in the story...

That just blows.
  • The weird thing is that I'm wondering if I'm missing pages. I read a review, and the review definitely referred to stuff that's not in my copy.
    Sell it to some super comic nerds as a misprinted copy. The collector's value is so crazy high omg!
  • I just finished reading Brothers in Arms. I highly recommend it. It was the best of my meager order for this month by far.
  • Has anyone read Y: The Last Man? It looks good, but there are 10 volumes of this bugger.
  • Has anyone read Y: The Last Man? It looks good, but there are 10 volumes of this bugger.
    I love it, Rym hates it. I have every volume except the final one.
  • GIRL WHO COULD RUN THROUGH TIME VOL 01
    "A Girl Who Runs Through Time" I believe it is. Had trouble finding it under the name you gave.
  • edited June 2008
    Did anyone notice that the Mouse Guard RPG is listed for a decent price in the DCBS preview catalog? It's 45% off and priced at $19.22.
  • edited June 2008
    Has anyone read Y: The Last Man? It looks good, but there are 10 volumes of this bugger.
    The first book is somewhat promising, but the story soon becomes tediously predictable. The characters are unlikable and unsympathetic. The art is bland and uninspired. See if they have copies in your local library. Don't spend money on this rag.

Take the money that you would have spent on this and get Preacher.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Oooh! Air is fun! I actually met a good friend by finding a note they had left in a copy of Air at my local bookstore. I was wondering something, though. Scott, why the dislike of Transmetropolitan? I'd think it'd be right up your alley.