This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott's Box - Beta #1

edited June 2008 in Manga/Comics
Wow, no one's posted a thread for this yet? Usually I'm the late one to the party on these sorts of things.

eLh2CBalhv0

Video description: "The first beta episode of Scott's Box. It's a show where I tell you all about the comics that have arrived in my most recent shipment."

Wow, I don't know if it's just me, but it's so weird hearing your voice in not-so-crystal-clear quality. It almost makes you sound like a completely different person. Or maybe that's just me not being used to seeing your face and mouth moving while you're speaking.

General note: yes, looking away from the camera so much is bad! The camera loves you! Look at eeeeeet! :D

Also, if possible for the future, it'd be nice if you either scanned in pictures/pages from the comics or grabbed pictures of the covers from the internet and edited the images into the video in post-production. One pic every few comics is what I'm thinking. Then the art can be seen more clearly, which is important for something with such a huge stake in visuals as comics. This definitely isn't a necessity, as it would add significant extra production time to the videos, but it would be nice to see. Even just holding the comics closer to the camera would probably do the trick.

Overall, not a bad first attempt. Looking forward to more.

Comments

• The weirdest thing is hearing all the "ah"s and "um"s. Good video so far, although I will probably not keep an eye on this video series since I'm not that interested in comic books.
  • edited June 2008
    I must say... I'm having a hard time matching the voice to the face, not having ever seen either Rym or Scott before. My god, my brain hurts.

EDIT: Now that I've seen the video, I can say this: you have a ton of nervous/habitual tics... use hand gestures sparingly and for emphasis or emotion. If you're not using a mic, you should look into it (it vastly improves sound quality and overall production value)
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • I know it is just a beta, but I hope you are open to some points to help you with future video projects (may they be many):

1. Auto focus. Turn it off. You are out of focus most of the time but the books behind you are sharp. This is really bad! Put something on your chair at head height the correct distance from the camera, make sure the focus is sharp on that, then turn the focus to manual. Alternatively, set up your tripod, sit in your chair with the camera, focus on the tripod and then set the focus to manual. Now when you put the camera on the tripod it should be near enough in focus.

2. Framing. Tip the camera down a bit. Space above your head is wasted, and in this video you are leaning down a lot. Google "rule of thirds" (or just see this first google hit) to see why. Your setup is good if you didn't move at all, but like I said, you are moving quite a bit.

3. Close the screen on the side of your camera. Test the framing a few times and make sure you are happy with the shot setup, then get rid of that distraction. That way you'll keep looking at the camera lens itself, not the screen. It is very obvious and quite off putting. In some test shots, hold things up to the camera so you know when things will be in the shot or not, then just go for it.

4. Looking down... not a huge problem, but a bit of a wide angle so w can see what you are looking at (eg. your box) would make it nicer. Or have the box on a table beside you and the pile of reviewed comics on the other side.

Keep up the good work and I hope to see some new non-comic related videos in the future. My wish list:

1. Video reviews about your favourite German board games so we can actually see the game mechanics at work and what makes them good or bad. Included could be some scenes from you playing a game, explaining to the camera why what just happened was cool... or something.

2. Tour of your geek collections and paraphernalia.

3. The Barge.
  • Also, if possible for the future, it'd be nice if you either scanned in pictures/pages from the comics or grabbed pictures of the covers from the internet and edited the images into the video in post-production. One pic every few comics is what I'm thinking. Then the art can be seen more clearly, which is important for something with such a huge stake in visuals as comics.
    Yeah, I agree.

I don't know if you feel it adds more to the experience by opening the box on camera, but I personally think it would be better if you had a quick 5 minute look through the comics before the video. That way it could cut down on the "ums" and "ahs" as what each comic is will be fresh in your head. Plus, you won't come across the problem of not knowing what the comic book is because you bought it for cheap :-)
  • Encoding and uploading took a long time, so I just let it do its thing overnight. When I woke up in the morning, it was ready. That's why you found it before I said anything about it.

As for your suggestions, they are all very good. Many of them I realize already, but there are others I did not realize. I recorded this entire video in one take, and then I cut parts out to bring it down to under 10 minutes, so it would fit on YouTube. Most of the parts I cut out where just me cutting open the packaging. I was more concerned with just getting something done and out there than I was concerned about getting it perfect. I did want to go to bed, after all.

This is actually part of my new philosophy, which is thanks to the FNPL interview with the more famous Scott Johnson. In it, he talked about how an art teacher told him to take broad bold strokes, and not to feather. I realized as soon as he said that, that I was feathering everything. Not only do I feather when I draw (stick figures), I feather when I write code, I feather in video games, I feather in just about every creative endeavor. I never get anything done because I tweak all the tiny bits, and I don't move from step 1 to step 2 until step 1 is perfect.

Now I'm going to be taking broad strokes. Instead of constantly doing a little bit at a time, switching between "pencil" and "eraser" I'm pulling out the "sharpie" and letting it rip. I'll get something done, even if it sucks. Then, the next time, I'll do the same thing, but it will be better than the first time. GeekNights is the only creative endeavor I have undertaken with that sort of approach, and it is also the most successful.

This means you can expect the videos to keep coming out, and expect them to keep sucking. However, each one will be better than the previous one. Eventually it will be awesome.
  • edited June 2008
    Well it was entertaining and worth watching already, so it'll be fun to see this all evolve, especially since I'm a new Geeknights listener and didn't get a chance to see (hear) that evolve.
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • Have you thought about pimping Geeknights or frontrowcrew.com at the beginning/end of the video, or in the description? I thought part of the point of the side-projects was to extend yourself to a bigger fanbase, so newbies will need to know how to find you.
  • The topic definitely has potential. What's good is that you don't spend too much time on any one comic. I've seen plenty of "review" videos (mostly boardgames), and unless you have a serious interest in the object being reviewed, it gets boring quickly.

Only two major comments from me.
    1) No offense, but you guys are much more entertaining as a pair. I felt a little like I was watching a Dateline NBC segment on the creepy criminal who lived next door to the college co-ed.
    2) I think you looked at the camera for a total of 1.6 seconds. Something tells me that your eyes dart around a lot in real life.

I think a nice segment at the end would be to point out just a couple of items that you're really interested in pre-ordering this month. (Scott's "top three" or something like that.)

I'll definitely check the next one out. Good luck with this project!
  • Next time, I'll mic Scott properly so that it will at least sound good, since we plan to take the audio from this and put it right there in the GeekNights feed for you guys.
  • Have you thought about pimping Geeknights or frontrowcrew.com at the beginning/end of the video, or in the description? I thought part of the point of the side-projects was to extend yourself to a bigger fanbase, so newbies will need to know how to find you.
    Yes, that is obvious. I just didn't because it's a beta, and I wanted to get it out in one night in one take.
    Next time, I'll mic Scott properly so that it will at least sound good, since we plan to take the audio from this and put it right there in the GeekNights feed for you guys.
    Order them lavaliers!
    What's good is that you don't spend too much time on any one comic. I've seen plenty of "review" videos (mostly boardgames), and unless you have a serious interest in the object being reviewed, it gets boring quickly.
    YouTube's 10 minute limit pretty much forces that issue. I don't plan to make any videos longer than 10 minutes almost ever. Short attention span for the win.
    2) I think you looked at the camera for a total of 1.6 seconds. Something tells me that your eyes dart around a lot in real life.
    My brain is wired for podcast mode where I talk and it doesn't matter what I look like. My appearing on camera skills will improve with time. Go listen to the first GeekNights and compare it with the newest one to get an idea of how much improvement to expect.
  • [big-ass post about broad strokes vs. feathering]
    Well said, good sir. Well said indeed. Then consider this video a roaring success. :D
  • Not bad for a beta, I'm sure what I would critic people have already said, but I would add that it might be good to have Rym in it or at least another person there to help maybe ask questions, or whatnot.
  • edited June 2008
    Go listen to the first GeekNights and compare it with the newest one to get an idea of how much improvement to expect.
    So do we have to wait as long as Geeknights have been here to get same quality of greatness in video?
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • Go listen to the first GeekNights and compare it with the newest one to get an idea of how much improvement to expect.
    So do we have to wait as long as Geeknights have been here to get same quality of greatness in video?
    How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
  • edited June 2008
    If that was the case, in a few years Scrym would be creating Hollywood Studio quality Youtubes... Video, I believe, is a far tougher nut to crack than radio
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm doing it in one take
    That's good!

What is there left to say? Good job, the majority of advice already given in this thread pretty much covers all the things I thought off. I do have to disagree with Chase Blackbeard on opening the box before starting the video. I think it's a nice part of Scott's Box, feels a bit like "Allllll righty then, let us discover this treasure trove together, aye matey? *box gets cut open*". You could instead write down why you ordered something in a text file the moment you are ordering it, and perhaps with some extra information, and review that text file before starting the recording. That should reduce the uhms and ahs a bit and give you something more to talk about where necessary.

As for the Mushi-shi manga, did it not contain stories not in the anime?

Silly side notes: The shot of the first second before the video starts playing is awesome, Scott staring slightly blankly into the abyss that is beyond the camera... then the video starts playing, and we hear Scott cheerfully saying "He~llo! And welcome to Scott's Box." Also, huge racks of books.
  • edited June 2008
    Nice job on the "broad stroke." There is definite potential in the series, and I've decided I'd rather see a variety of content (and a happier Scrym) than four podcasts a week.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Honestly I didn't think it was that bad. Sure, perhaps audio and video quality could be a little better, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since youtube shits on any ounce of quality your video has once you upload it.
    I second the idea of posting pictures and covers at the end of the video or something like that.
    I also second this:
    2. Tour of your geek collections and paraphernalia.
  • Keep up the good work and I hope to see some new non-comic related videos in the future. My wish list:
    I think some videos that show the gaming environment of the Geekhaus would be another great idea.
  • I watched the whole thing. That never happens!
    I never get anything done because I tweak all the tiny bits, and I don't move from step 1 to step 2 until step 1 is perfect.
    This is part of Dave Sim's philosophy, funnily enough. For years he was known as *the* self-publishing comic creator because while all the other indie artists were spending months crafting one issue until their readers gave up, Sim churned out one page every day and a half, one issue per month, every month for 26 years. The early issues looked shoddy (the ones printed in the trade you showed) but after a while he'd greatly improved as well as built up a loyal following. He used to say something like, "first you get fast, then you get good and fast." Kudos on the video.
  • Sim churned out one page every day and a half, one issue per month, every month for 26 years.
    Helps a lot when you have your buddy draw all the backgrounds.
  • I really enjoyed watching this. Great job. Among what others have suggested, I would suggest that an opener and ender bit. Give your contact information for the new viewers in case they want to send you questions, comments, or suggestions other than putting it on the youtube page.

Other than that, keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing more of Scott's Box and whatever you guys come out with.
  • I'm not going to lie. This bored me. But maybe the subject matter really isn't my thing.
  • edited June 2008
    You need to ask yourself what makes videos popular, and focus on that. I submit that it's not worth spending countless hours on quality. This is Youtube, after all. It's content that matters. Look at all of the viral videos out there. Did they spend hours trying to get the microphone levels just right? Heck, no. A good example is Bo Burnham. He's just some schmo sitting in his bedroom. The quality of the video is pretty awful. Yet this video has over 1.5 million views on Youtube alone. (And many more on break.com)

So focus on content. Once you've got that nailed down, focus on production issues.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Nice job, Scott. There are also a lot of helpful suggestions above to help improve further episodes, go Scott's box!
  • You need to ask yourself what makes videos popular, and focus on that.
    Wait, you want Scrym to make only videos of cute animals and idiots getting hurt?
  • Listen Scott. You are still thinking of this like a aural medium rather than a visual one. Why does it matter if I can see your face when you are talking to me? It adds very little and the sound quality is much worse than the podcast. You need to start thinking like a film maker. Mix it up with different shots, shots of the box, close ups of the comics, varied compositions that make it interesting to watch as well as to listen to. LukeBurrage mentioned framing and "rule of thirds" as well as some other very good points. I will teach you how to focus correctly and light the scene if you would like. Also, stage presence. You seem very nervous and fidgety, and the face that you don't make eye contact with the camera is very off-putting. I get camera shy too, but it's something you have to overcome. I would actually recommend planning it out before hand, even though you haven't opened the box. When to put in an insert of a comic, when to give a shot of the box. Think about these things to make an interesting video. Film the inserts after the main take is done. I'll teach you.
  • Emily speaks 100% truth.
  • I would actually recommend planning it out before hand, even though you haven't opened the box. When to put in an insert of a comic, when to give a shot of the box. Think about these things to make an interesting video. Film the inserts after the main take is done. I'll teach you.
    Could you even scan pages of the comics and cut to the scans while he is talking to get a high quality look at the pages?