This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burning Wheel?

Comments

• I think roleplaying is incredibly boring.
    You're doing it wrong.
  • I'm definitely interested in roleplaying, and Burning Wheel sounds like an amazing system. The problem, though, is that I have no friend that are interested in roleplaying.
  • The problem, though, is that I have no friend that are interested in roleplaying.
    Make them play Kobolds Ate My Baby.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm definitely interested in roleplaying, and Burning Wheel sounds like an amazing system. The problem, though, is that I have no friend that are interested in roleplaying.
    Maybe you could trade them in for an upgrade?

Obviously I'm joking. I can understand the problem. I have a cousin that has been desperate to find a GM, which is why I'm looking at actually getting books and really mastering a system. I usually let other people deal with the mechanics for me while I focus on the actual role playing aspect. Now I want to start GMing so that I can run something for the more awesome members of my family. Burning Wheel is one of the systems I want to run.
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • I would really love to have a go at some role playing again. The last I played was 10 years ago in high school, and not to any great level of competency, but it was incredibly fun. I have read a little into Burning Wheel inspired by the show but as yet have not ordered it. I think it is a combination of factors, the first being I am uncertain I will ever be able to find a decent crew to try and play this sort of game with, and the second is that I have never GM'ed so I am a little hesitant to pin the unlikely group's enjoyment onto my ability to run a campaign when I understand as little as they do. In a way I am hoping that the Mouse Guard RPG is a better entry level game to attempt so I can cut my teeth on it then step up to Burning Wheel when I feel a little more confident. Does anyone have any more information on the actual mechanics of the Mouse Guard RPG?
  • Does anyone have any more information on the actual mechanics of the Mouse Guard RPG?
    We don't know anything beyond the fact that it is Burning Wheel light.

Also, remember there are plenty of other awesome little RPGs out there you can play such as InSpectres and Prime Time Adventures. If you have never role played before, or have significant inexperience, InSpectres really is the best way to get started.
  • Well inspired by this thread I asked one of the guys at work if he'd be keen and he said he'd be willing to give it a go. So slowly I am recruiting a posse. I'll check out InSpectres as you suggested. If it fails due to my incompetence I'll be sure to lie and blame the forum that recommended it in a desperate attempt to save face.

Thinking about the Mouse Guard RPG, it seems to me it would be quite tricky to advertise a role playing game simply because the mechanics are so integral to the actual way the game is played, and they don't appear to be easily explained in a brief blurb. Do people usually buy based on setting or mechanics or authoror something else? Which site is the most reliable for reviews? Just some of my musings about the world of rpg's that are probably not relevant to the thread.
  • Personally, I have friends who tell me about interesting games.

I'm planning to trick some of my extended family into role playing. All they know is that RPGs are stupid and childish. They don't know how they are actually managed. So, so long as I don't pull out character sheets or have people role dice, I can get them to play a game and then tell the it's an RPG. Unfortunately, that does pretty much rule out games like Burning Wheel but the idea is to show them that RPGs are awesome and then start a campaign.
  • Personally, I have friends who tell me about interesting games.

I'm planning to trick some of my extended family into role playing. All they know is that RPGs are stupid and childish. They don't know how they are actually managed. So, so long as I don't pull out character sheets or have people role dice, I can get them to play a game and then tell the it's an RPG. Unfortunately, that does pretty much rule out games like Burning Wheel but the idea is to show them that RPGs are awesome and then start a campaign.
    Prime Time Adventures is the game to go with for this. There are no dice, character sheets are really simple, and the game is based on television instead of fantasy worlds.
  • Prime Time Adventures is the game to go with for this. There are no dice, character sheets are really simple, and the game is based on television instead of fantasy worlds.
    Actually, I was thinking of running Paranoia. It's the kind of funny, quirky backstabbing game that my family would love. It just takes a fair bit of prep time on my side.
  • Actually, I was thinking of running Paranoia. It's the kind of funny, quirky backstabbing game that my family would love. It just takes a fair bit of prep time on my side.
    That works, but Paranoia does have a lot of nerdy sci-fi action going on. Mafia is actually a great way to ease people into role playing, especially if they want the quirky backstabbing.
  • Is there a basic free PDF of the Burning Wheel rules?
    Torrent probably.
  • edited June 2008
    Is there a basic free PDF of the Burning Wheel rules?
    No, but the Wiki should give you a lot of insight. Also, the game is only $25 for both books. Seriously, the D+D 4E PHB is $20+ on Amazon. Burning wheel is more than a bargain compared to that. Just buy the damn thing. It's worth it, even if you never play it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    No, butthe Wikishould give you a lot of insight. Also, the game is only$25 for both books. Seriously, the D+D 4E PHB is $20+ on Amazon. Burning wheel is more than a bargain compared to that. Just buy the damn thing. It's worth it, even if you never play it.
    I've never bought from this site before. Is it reputable?
    No, butthe Wikishould give you a lot of insight. Also, the game is only$25 for both books. Seriously, the D+D 4E PHB is $20+ on Amazon. Burning wheel is more than a bargain compared to that. Just buy the damn thing. It's worth it, even if you never play it.
    Absolutely reputable. I have made more than one purchase from there with no problems. Also, buying Burning Wheel from that site is as close as you can get to buying it directly from Luke Crane without actually buying it directly from Luke Crane.
  • Indie Press Revolution is another reputable online retailer for hard-to-find or small press RPGs like Burning Wheel. I actually bought my copy from them.

And they even have a podcast.
  • Fuck IPR. They charged me freight for a PDF.
  • Fuck IPR. They charged me freight for a PDF.
    I agree. I ordered Prime Time Adventures and a few other games from them. It took me over five tries to get the order to work because their site was so shitty. Also, they e-mailed me my site password in plain text. That is a very serious security issue. Not only that, but each time I unsuccessfully tried to order from them, they calculated shipping differently. I ordered from them once, but I will never order from them again until they clean up their act.
    Absolutely reputable. I have made more than one purchase from there with no problems. Also, buying Burning Wheel from that site is as close as you can get to buying it directly from Luke Crane without actually buying it directly from Luke Crane.
    Right then, the Burning Wheelz are bought and paid for.
  • Just last weekend (Aug 22-24 2008) I was at FanExpo (which is in Toronto) and I finally played The Burning Wheel. I have only five words. THIS GAME KICKS FRICKIN ASS!! It was sooo good that it instantly got my non-RPGing not-even-close-to-being-as-geeky-as-me friend into RPGing right on the spot(more specifically the Burning Wheel). As soon as I can get my hands on some money, I plan to buy the books and try to plan some campaigns. Thank you Luke Crane for inventing The Burning Wheel, and successfully bringing my friend to my level of geekyness.
  • Damn, I wish there was some sort of group near where I live. Unfortunately rural NC doesn't have the best tabletop gaming scene going for it. :\
  • Damn, I wish there was some sort of group near where I live. Unfortunately rural NC doesn't have the best tabletop gaming scene going for it. :\
    Rural NC doesn't, but I definitely know there are many geeks in other parts of NC.
    Rural NC doesn't, but I definitely know there are many geeks in other parts of NC.
    Any suggestions on how to go about finding these geeks?
  • Any suggestions on how to go about finding these geeks?
    The Internets.
    The Internets.
    I probably could have guessed that with some thought.
  • I need some help. I want to try to convince my younger brother that the Burning Wheel is more non-broken than D&D, but he won't listen to me mainly because he is both an ass and not privy to change. What should I do to convince him?
  • I need some help. I want to try to convince my younger brother that the Burning Wheel is more non-broken than D&D;, but he won't listen to me mainly because he is both an ass and not privy to change. What should I do to convince him?
    Force him to play The Sword. That should convert anyone.

If not, I recommend beating him.
  • What should I do to convince him?
    Have genuinely more fun playing Burning Wheel than playing D&D;.
    The Internets.
    I probably could have guessed that with some thought.
    I am looking for gaming in New Hampshire, are their any specific sites to find people in your area to game with?