This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Public Speaking

RymRym
edited September 2006 in Everything Else
What troubles have any of you had with this? I assume there are funny stories to be heard. ^_~

Comments

• Strangely, I never have trouble with public speaking. Even when things inevitably fuck up (PowerPoint, etc) I can get a laugh out of it and carry on without much grief. Having done some formal debating in high school really helped build my confidence and skill, and my ability to think fast on my feet.
  • I'm generally a poor public speaker, unless its about a subject I am confident about.
  • edited September 2006
    I've never had any trouble with public speaking. That was probably because I never cared about the social ladder.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Generally Kiey that's the key to good public speaking, Knowing what your talking about ^_^

Personally it takes me some time to actually warm up to public speaking. The first 10 or 15 minutes I'll be all nervious until I get into the flow of things. (like the anime club summit) Generally my biggest problem is that I have a tendency to lose words and mispronouce things. However, I've always got by with my public speaking by being self-depericating, Honest and like-able (which is how I got by doing Anime Club annoucements ^_^)
  • I also have had no troubles public speaking, unless you count not shutting up as a problem.
  • I also have had no troubles public speaking, unless you count not shutting up as a problem.
    Same its the only time anyone really listens to me.
  • I sucked at public speaking until I became the president of the RIT Anime Club. Being forced to talk to over a hundred people 2-3 times a week is the ultimate trial by fire. I no longer have any problems when I need to give presentations or meetings. Now that I have to attend 3-4 meetings per week I've noticed how much everyone else needs to improve.
  • I sucked at public speaking until I became the president of the RIT Anime Club
    See, Eh-Nimes Club also solved the problem for me. Instead of doing all those tried and true tricks, like imagining the audience in their underwear, I simply donned my underwear (on two occasions!) to speak. Worked wonders, that club did.
  • I think that the only problems I evar really had with speaking in public was keeping my thoughts in order (no um's or ah's) and sounding like I'm preaching.
  • I just tend to be horribly nervous until I open my mouth, then I just start talking and don't think about it. One trick that seems to work for me to keep my body language confident without having to think about every little thing is to imagine lines of energy anchoring me deep into the Earth and connecting me to my audiance. Magic thinking is often a useful way of getting your subconcience to do what you want, as long as you don't start believing it intellectually.
  • Your comment about looking just over the heads of people was great advice. The only danger, though, is if you are speaking to a small group. When I speak to juries, I can't get away with this - especially because they sit in a jury box that is elevated to begin with.

Another good piece of advice is the well timed pause. Too many people rush what they have to say. A pause can really make a point stand out.
  • When I speak to juries, I can't get away with this - especially because they sit in a jury box that is elevated to begin with.
    Are you a lawyer?
  • edited September 2006
    Are you a lawyer?
    Yes.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I liked the suggestions from the show. I really liked the comment about getting what your thinking about to synch up with what you are saying.

As a teacher I find teaching to 30 students a very low stress situation. I always just say what I'm thinking.... but talking to a 100 people, I tend to clam up and get really shaken up.

I also liked the suggestion about pointing your head down and then looking up, I've seen a lot of comedians and politicians do this for a good effect.

Unfortunately I have no funny story at all.... One time I wore tight pants and overheard students commenting on my thingy... it was embaressing and I had to some how distract them from my rock star antics...
  • I used to coach debating (for year sixes so the advice might not be that useful for adults) but here are some tips:
    • If you are making a speech presentation is important. Make sure you look suitable for whatever it is. If you are at work make sure your shoes are shined, your shirt is clean, your hair is nice etc. We had uniforms at my school I was very strict about what they wore. The girls could decide to wear shirt sleeves or blazers as long as they all wore the same. If you have notes they should be either on A4 paper or on proper cards. NO SCRAPPY BITS OF PAPER! Again for something like a debate with a group you should all have the same cards so you can pass notes to each other.
    • Always, always figure out at least a few opposing points of view to whatever you are saying (especially important if you are debating so you can pre-empt some opposition points for rebuttal). If you have a choice in a class of which side to pick don't always pick the side you agree on, or the topic you know the most about. When you can confidently argue a point that you absolutely disagree with you will never have a problem talking about something you know.
    • Stand up for presentations. People at uni seem to all sit down for presentations and its stupid. If you stand up you right away have people's attention and you appear more knowledgeable. Stand with your feet apart (around in line with your shoulders) and if you aren't that confident don't move. Just stand still and for fucks sake DON'T SWAY this was my pet peeve. I'd go to all their debates and come home with notes for each girl and I would have DON'T SWAY in huge letters underlined. God it was annoying.
    I think that is all the brilliant information I can pass on. Just remember not to be afraid. It really isn't that bad.
  • edited September 2006
    I was in debate club in high school and made it all the way to a national competition. On the way to the conference in Detroit, I rode with some girls from a nearby Catholic school and started having some purely innocent fun with one of them. When I got to the competition, I used the worst possible tactic for debate so that I could get kicked out in the first round - then i got to spend the rest of the weekend alone in a hotel room with that Catholic schoolgirl. Alah be praised.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Jason, you epitomize all that was good about high school debate.
  • I was in debate club in high school and made it all the way to a national competition. On the way to the conference in Detroit, I rode with some girls from a nearby Catholic school and started having some purely innocent fun with one of them. When I got to the competition, I used the worst possible tactic for debate so that I could get kicked out in the first round - then i got to spend the rest of the weekend alone in a hotel room with that Catholic schoolgirl. Alah be praised.
    Everyone should learn from Jason here. He epitomizes what I expect from all of our listeners.
  • I was in debate club in high school and made it all the way to a national competition. On the way to the conference in Detroit, I rode with some girls from a nearby Catholic school and started having some purely innocent fun with one of them. When I got to the competition, I used the worst possible tactic for debate so that I could get kicked out in the first round - then i got to spend the rest of the weekend alone in a hotel room with that Catholic schoolgirl. Alah be praised.
    Everyone should learn from Jason here. He epitomizes what I expect from all of our listeners.
    As a listener, I am going to have to say, I expect this as well.
  • Well done Jason.