This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Miyazaki

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Again, personal taste
    And I'm perfectly entitled to that opinion. The rest of you are perfectly entitled to disagree with me about it.
    "I hate that style," would fit better
    True.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Nooooo, my bacon!
  • Best Miyazaki character? Balls of soot.
    I second that, those damn adorable balls of soot, with their shoe hoarding and confetti candy eating.
  • Best Miyazaki character? Balls of soot.
    I second that, those damn adorable balls of soot, with their shoe hoarding and confetti candy eating.
    Okay! Second best characters, I too cannot deny the awesome that are the balls of Soot.
  • Okay! Second best characters, I too cannot deny the awesome that are the balls of Soot.
    The other balls of soot.
  • Okay! Second best characters, I too cannot deny the awesome that are the balls of Soot.
    Theotherballs of soot.
    *blinks* Which? There are more? WHAT!?
    Theotherballs of soot.
    You have destroyed the bubble that was my life with that piece of information.
  • *blinks* Which? There are more? WHAT!?
    They're in Totoro, but they are also in Spirited Away.
  • How about the little bobble-headed kodama from Mononoke? I always thought those were cute and creepy at the same time. :)
  • They're in Totoro, but they are also in Spirited Away.
    Never seen Totoro, want to though.
    How about the little bobble-headed kodama from Mononoke? I always thought those were cute and creepy at the same time. :)
    GAH! Okay, best Miyazaki character, not counting any of the cute/scary/strange creatures that appear en masse in the movies. I.e. single entity characters with at least a personality depth that is deeper than a cut off toe nail.

Yes, I think I'll have Scott pointing at a personage this time. *cackles*
  • My personal favs of Miyazaki are Cagliostro and Porco Rosso. I could watch those two movies forever.
    I second that. Cagliostro's got so much personality it hurts.
  • edited May 2008
    Okay! Second best characters, I too cannot deny the awesome that are the balls of Soot.
    Theotherballs of soot.
    Balls of soot aren't that interesting but I can see why they could be your favorite if you like that kind of thing. One thing I find interesting about Miyazaki's films is that no character stands out as being good or bad so most people just go with superficial side characters. I think Kamaji is pretty awesome.
    I just remembered. There is one character that outshines the others for me. Shizuku.
    If you need Ghibli pics, iichan is pretty good.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited June 2008
    I just finished Porco Rosso. I like it better than the rest of the stuff I've seen by him, by far. I liked the story, the character design (a first for Miyazaki films for me), and the backgrounds (as always). One thing I didn't like: the music. Now, on it's own, it's really not that bad...but when it's put up against a dogfight, it seems ridiculously out of place.
    Yes, guys, I can always find something to bitch about.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Howl's Moving Castle makes me cry because the book is vastly more enjoyable and the movie ending is far too rushed. Miyazaki basically took characters and mashed them together to save time; this is very unfortunate as some of the best characters in the book are basically ignored.
  • Man, Your Mom, I would say the same exact thing. I was actually quite disappointed in the Miyazaki film from a storytelling point of view. I really liked the book. (especially that there was a chapter called "Howl Expresses his Feelings with Green Slime") Also...Welsh? (read the book!)
  • I was the eldest of three girls growing up. That book was completely awesome because Sophie was the eldest of three. I also really liked the chaper where Sophie expressed her feelings. ^_-

The biggest things is that it was actually a real mystery and had basis in an old poem (can't remember for the life of me who actually wrote it, alas!) and had a lot of fun uses of magic. The war in the book was a few lines of text. The the teachers in the book were very colorful and the villians in the book put those in the movie to shame. Howl himself was several times more awesome in the book, and had so many fun (and frequently banter-filled) lines. It is honestly set up for a live action movie (and should be made ASAP).

The only thing that was significantly better was the castle itself.
  • As this is the "Miyazaki" thread I would like to add that today (17/06/08), Miyazaki was hanged.
  • Do not bring the bad Miyazaki into the good Miyazaki's thread. Bah!
  • This is the "Miyazaki" thread. Where else am I going to put it?
  • edited June 2008
    This is the "Miyazaki" thread. Where else am I going to put it?
    Up your... nevermind.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Sail! Shame!
  • Favorites: Totoro and Porco Roso. No question
    I have to say that I didn't really get into Spirited Away and Mononoke was ok-ish.
  • Wow, no love for Naussica?
  • RymRym
    edited June 2008
    It's a tired, fairly classless reference that's been made in nearly every Miyazaki discussion on the Internet to date. It's not really relevant in any way.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Naussica was alright. It had some good stuff. Just, personally, I LOVED Porco Roso and Totoro. I particularly loved Totoro because it captured childhood in such a beautiful manner. In a way, I would say it is quite realistic, since there is something magical about childhood.
  • Naussica was alright. It had some good stuff.
    Read the manga. The movie barely scratches the surface of the first volume.
  • edited June 2008
    It's a tired, fairly classless reference that's been made in nearly every Miyazaki discussion on the Internet to date. It's not really relevant in any way.
    I aim to please. I would, however, like to discuss this at a later date.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I aim to please. I would, however, like to discuss this at a later date.
    Why don't you start a thread then?
  • Well, I just watched Spirited Away. Well, I think it's pretty damn overrated...

First off, begging for work so you don't disappear? Having your name stolen? What the fuck?
    Aside from that, it wasn't awful or anything...it was just kinda there, which is why I find it overrated. Kinda dragged out, if you ask me (coulda cut out some bullshit and made it an hour and a half).

I'm giving Miyazaki one more chance, with Mononoke. If that doesn't do it for me, I'm gonna assume that nothing else will from Miyazaki, period...<_<.
  • Well, I just watched Spirited Away. Well, I think it's pretty damn overrated...
    You know, don't take this as an indictment in any way, but you seem to dislike just about any and all anime that we consider worthwhile. Take that as you will. ^_~