This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• edited June 2008
    The Inuyasha anime ended a long time ago with the words "The adventures continue in the manga". Don't ask the real Ichigo of Anime Pulse what he thinks of this awful cop out ending. He will probably go berserk.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • As for panels, yeah, most cons have shit panels.
    Out of the ones I've gone to in the past year (Colossalcon, A&G Ohio, Ohayocon, and Anime Punch), Anime Punch is the only one with consistently good panels. Ohayocon, for the past few years, has had absolute shit. They have at least 2-3x as many panels as AP, but there's potentially less panels that are worth your time.
    As for rehashing panels, Colossalcon is the worst. I think the '07 panels were exactly the same as '06. 1-2 may have been different. '08 seems to have a ton of new panels, based on the list, so it might turn out better.
  • DOFUS ANIME!? WHAT THE HELL??? I'll board that train of thought again later today.
  • My friend Jonae is going to explode at that Inuyasha news. I can't believe I didn't notice that news. Mostly because since I hate that show and manga so much when I see the name Inuyasha I don't pay attention.
  • Mostly because since I hate that show and manga so much when I see the name Inuyasha I don't pay attention.
    It's a pretty bad show.

The sad thing, though, is that the core story is really, really good. I intensely like everything about InuYasha except watching it.
  • Mostly because since I hate that show and manga so much when I see the name Inuyasha I don't pay attention.
    It's a pretty bad show.

The sad thing, though, is that the core story is really, really good. I intensely like everything about InuYasha except watching it.
    That show could have been 52 episodes of just gettin' those shards and some NOT OVERLY LONG action. Then it would probably be awesome. Dammit, Rumiko!
  • Inu Yasha is over.
    It's about damn time! I used to love this manga, but he fact that no questions were ever answered and that they actually found a jewel shard about 1 every 10 volumes made me hate it with a bitter passion.
  • Hmmm... Rym says the day in the intro now, "Geeknights Tuesday", and Scott does not.
  • Good News. Your podcast can indeed be enjoyed by some hearing challenged individuals. Their computers usually have a program that will translate/convert audio into a text format that they can read. This is similar to closed captioning now available on DVD players and newer TV sets.
  • The fact that the audio production of Geeknights is so high quality probably means that its better than most podcasts for the hearing challenged.
  • Hey, out of all the panels you submitted how many got accepted?

I put in one and got rejected but it's okay. The paragraph Alabaster(Jim) put up answered questions. I'm glad they are changing panels around because last years were kinda meh. Plus how he said it was awesome.

Mine was audio/visual/discussion panel about anime about otaku. (Genshiken, Otaku no Video, etc.) It was probably thought of in the vein of "Show XYZ rules yay" type but I wasn't going to make it that way. Meh, it was probably a kinda lame idea. Plus my only experience was running game shows and events but not panels.

It seemed like ZGL (Meredith?) was doing this herself. It took a long time to get responses for a ton of people. Poor ZGL.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2008
    Hey, out of all the panels you submitted how many got accepted?
    Well, every "con season," we have a list of the 10 or so panels that we're willing to run. We send mostly the same list to each convention, not counting some "exclusives." Every con is different.

Connecticon usually asks us to run as many events as we are willing to show up for (we did eight last year, and may be doing even more this year). Katsucon is the same way, though they also give us a bunch of event-level programming in addition to our panels, and we have our additional duties as staff. The New York Anime Festival tries to get us to run as much as we're willing to, though we try to keep it to a few panels and at most one or two events. We declined running panels at the New York Comic Con this year in order to spend more time acting as press. We also declined Anime Next, partly due to the somewhat-PITA panel application system they have.

Connecticon lets us play around a lot with new panel ideas, and we get wonderful feedback from the audiences there. Katsucon is where we refine existing panels into perfection and roll them out to a larger audience. Ideally, every panel will get its final run at Otakon, at which point we will retire it.

Otakon is the stingiest by far. This year, of the eight or so we sent Otakon's way, they accepted one and took another as a con backup. So, 2/8 were accepted. Otakon has never taken any of our events programming to date. Frankly, I'm fine with that, since we're refining these shows more and more every year at all of the other cons. The Match Game, for example, has improved every time we've run it. I'm expecting it to be a transcendent experience by Connecticon this year.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Scott.

You won't lose your teeth.

Man up.
  • Dofus anime... what the hell?

Okay, after some minor 'research' Wakfu is indeed also a game, though it's basically Dofus, only updated. Both are made by Ankama. The characters you see in the trailer are still pretty similar to their Dofus counterparts (and their class names are still the same), only with updated character designs, and a few classes having had major overhauls. But those classes aren't that represented in the trailer. Some of the designs are better, and some are worse (Sram's new design is ugly), but the style is still pretty. Might be a decent TV series, but seeing as it's an MMORPG with turn-based fighting, I wonder how much of an anime they can make out of it.
  • I just listened to the start of the episode. I liked hearing about your experiences with panel organizers at conventions and how some want to mix things up and how most panels are still crap anyway. But at least these orgs teams know what is going to happen in advance! I'm organizing the open stage shows at the european juggling convention this year which is 9 days long, about 6,000 people, the shows I'm organizing are for about 2,000 spectators for 7 nights in a row. And I only know when I get there who wants to perform and then have to select 80 artists from maybe 150 wanting to take part. This is going to be a real bitch!
  • edited June 2008
    I'm really enjoying the vibe of the show. I like hearing you're enthusiasm along side with the actual individuals talking about their art. I couldn't go to Mocca this year, I don't know If this episode is making me feel better for filling the void or making me feel worse for totally missing out.
    About that guy's band that was into the obsolete media , did he look like a masochist to you?
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • edited June 2008
    I don't know If this episode is making me feel better for filling the void or making me feel worse for totally missing out.
    Made me feel worse. I was totally going to go but then fate dealt a bad hand the week before the festival and I got stuck in D.C. Wah.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Links to comics and creators have been added.
  • Thanks. Now I have a nice list for when I go to the comic book store. ^_^
  • Great show. It was very hight quality. I really liked how the interview/plug bits from the comic creators was interwoven into the show. I wasn't expecting that. Out of curiosity what type of hand held recorder did you all use? Because it sounded it really good.
  • edited July 2008
    Two parts;

One - The festival was great to go to and my first time. It felt good to look around at the different comics and say hello to some of my favorite artists. A very relaxed atmosphere and a really interesting neighborhood.

Two - Meeting Rym and Scott was an added awesome bonus. I have to say you guys were very cool and I enjoyed talking to you. Also for anyone who has not met these two I recommend looking for them if you are at a con they are going to, especially PAX.

Unfortunately I did not introduce myself so I will do it now.
    My name is Michael and I happened to also remember both of you from RIT anime, currently I live near Baltimore and I did not have a chance to get a sketch from Jason as you suggested. Thank you for stopping to talk, I still have to listen to the episode I have gotten a bit behind. Keep up the fantastic work.

Quick Question: Has anyone read Octopus Pie, I picked up her book at the festival and have been enjoying it but also have a weird feeling I am not enjoying it to its fullest extent, is anyone else not fully getting it? Latest storyline about laser tag is awesome.
    Post edited by Delam3 on
  • edited July 2008
    Octopus Pie
    <3<3<3
    I 'specially like the shirtless story arc. Some of the humor is a comical take on the lifestyle of young people living in Brooklyn, so it might be easier to relate to if you are from NYC, but in the end I think it's pretty random for anyone.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Thanks for the insight gomidog I need to send the book to my brother since he currently lives in Brooklyn.
  • edited July 2008
    Another Octopus Pie reader here. It's not one of my favourite comics overall, but it's still one of the better works out there compared to all the dreck in the webcomics world. I too loved the shirtless storyline especially, and the parts of "Skate or Don't" featuring **AMERICA JONES** were usually quite hilarious.

The artist has put out a couple of cool time lapse videos showing her comic creation process. Check it out, if you're interested in seeing digital comic art in action:

Post edited by Eryn on
  • I really want to see the stuff Jason drew you.
  • edited July 2008
    Another Octopus Pie reader here. It's not one of my favourite comics overall, but it's still one of the better works out there compared to all the dreck in the webcomics world. I too loved the shirtless storyline especially, and the parts of "Skate or Don't" featuring **AMERICA JONES** were usually quite hilarious.

The artist has put out a couple of cool time lapse videos showing her comic creation process. Check it out, if you're interested in seeing digital comic art in action:

Battles, fuck yeah.
    Post edited by whatever on