This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Convention Schedule Rant

edited June 2008 in Conventions
I attended my first gaming convention this past November. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I'd like to try a couple of more conventions, but for the life of me I can't understand why these things are scheduled when the weather outside is beautiful.

Portland, Maine has one from July 3-6.
Connecticut is from August 1-3.
Otakon is August 8-10.
Montreal is October 3-5. (Peak foliage season here in northern New England.)

Why the hell would people want to be indoors during these weekends? I happen to be on vacation near two of the above conventions (at the time of the convention), and live close to a third - and I wouldn't dream of attending any of these.

Weather in the northeast sucks for half of the year. I can understand that Christmas is not a good time, but what about winter? Surely that's a better time to be indoors, isn't it? Come winter, I can't imagine the thought of having squandered my summer weekends sitting inside at a convention.

Just another thing to change when I become a dictator.

Comments

• I think that a lot of conventions happen during the summer because it allows more people to get to the convention easier due to vacations and such.
  • 1) Nerds don't usually care about the outside.
    2) You might want to be inside gaming when the weather is bad, but you don't want to be traveling. If it snows during your convention, nobody will show up. I submit the infamous Katsucon Blizzard.
    3) Summer has always been convention season because people have the most free time. Kids don't have school. Certain professions, like teachers, also have more free time. There are fewer scheduling conflicts due to fewer holidays and such.
    4) Even at an indoor convention, unless it's a hotel con, you spend a lot of time outside. At Otakon I spend what feels like half the time I'm there outside. If it rains, it sucks big time.
    5) It's cheaper to buy plane tickets and such for random weekends in August than it is for holiday weekends. PAX is actually kind of bleh because I have to buy an expensive Labor day return flight.

There are many more reasons that conventions are in the summer, but these are the big ones. Yes, you may not like being inside gaming in August, but the convention has to be in August to get the attendance it needs to thrive.
  • Am I the only person on the forum that LIKES winter weather? I would much rather be outside doing snow/winter activities (sledding, ice skating, snow-shoeing, snowball fights - I have never gone skiing, but that is owing time and expense), than be outside doing summer activities (except swimming, but that can be done year round with indoor pools).
  • Am I the only person on the forum that LIKES winter weather?
    I also like winter weather. I'm not a big fan of summer weather. I just hate it when it is hot, for me 75 degrees is to warm. i just kind of wish summer would be replaced by a longer winter, spring, and fall. I also just love snowball fights and stuff like that.
  • Winter is only good for Ice Hockey and occasional excuses to stay home from work.
  • edited June 2008
    Am I the only person on the forum that LIKES winter weather? I would much rather be outside doing snow/winter activities (sledding, ice skating, snow-shoeing, snowball fights - I have never gone skiing, but that is owing time and expense), than be outside doing summer activities (except swimming, but that can be done year round with indoor pools).
    It depends. I do prefer winter activities to summer activities, but when it gets ridiculously cold here (gets down to the negatives in February every now and then), it's no fun. Driving during the winter sucks, too. But in general I like skiing over swimming and I like being a little cold over sweating my balls off.

As for cons, Scott pretty much said everything I was gonna say (and more), so yeah...Although, even at hotel cons you can spend a lot of time outside. Colossalcon (june con) has their LARPing all outside. Most people walk to get food, so you have to go outside to get it. Plus it's just fun to go outside to hang out every now and then. And personally, being a student, I like summer cons better because I don't have to worry about missing school or getting backed up with homework.

On the other hand, I went to a few winter cons this year: Ohayocon (early jan.) and A&G; Ohio (early feb.) They were both fun. Luckily, there were no blizzards that stopped people from going. I heard that a few years ago, Ohayocon got screwed from a big blizzard. A&G; had a small snowstorm on Saturday night, so it didn't stop anyone from going...and it led to a sweet snowball fight.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Winter is only good for Ice Hockey and occasional excuses to stay home from work.
    And skiing. ^_^
  • edited June 2008
    Winter is only good for Ice Hockey and occasional excuses to stay home from work.
    And skiing. ^_^
    It is good for so much more! Fall is my favorite season, but Winter is a close second! I come at this from a slightly different perspective, having lived in Georgia and Florida when I was young and moving up to New York State when I was in my early teens. I would always prefer a blizzard to a hurricane, driving in snow over driving in Florida's rains, and being too cold (and putting on a sweater) to being too hot (I can strip to the skin and still be sweating my boobs off - thank goodness for AC).

Seasons in order of personal preference:
    1) Fall
    2) Winter
    3) Spring
    4) Summer
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I guess I'm the exact opposite. I'm happiest when it's over 85*F and semi-dry.

My seasonal preferences are:
    1. Summer
    2. Fall
    3. Winter
    4. Spring
    This is due mostly to the fact that spring is generally rainy, wet, muddy, too warm for winter sports, and too cold for summer sports. Fall is just the slow decay of Summer. Winter I rather dislike, but winter sports and the holidays make up for it.
  • Spring is by far the best season. It is the only season that does not require any extra effort to accomodate uncomfortable weather. No coats, no blankets, no air conditioning, no nothing.
  • Am I the only person on the forum that LIKES winter weather? I would much rather be outside doing snow/winter activities (sledding, ice skating, snow-shoeing, snowball fights - I have never gone skiing, but that is owing time and expense), than be outside doing summer activities (except swimming, but that can be done year round with indoor pools).
    You are so not alone on that. I loves me some winter. It helps that I come from the land of the ice and snow.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2008
    From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Spring is the most overrated season here in northern New England. Every year you get your hopes up, and every year your hopes are dashed. The first part is always much colder than you expect. During last couple of years, we've had significant snow in April. March has been extremely cold as well. When it finally warms up, all we get is rain.

The gaming con I went to last year was during the first weekend in November. This was a PERFECT time. It was cold enough to want to be indoors, but you could be comfortable outdoors if you wanted. It's also prior to skiing, etc.
  • If it snows during your convention, nobody will show up. I submit the infamous Katsucon Blizzard.
    Ah~ I braved the snow and ice for my anime but I had sense to leave Saturday night! :P You'd be surprised how many would stay through the snow for a con.

Despite my feelings about summer I think it's the perfect season for conventions. It's the last season I want. I hate having to wear less clothes.

1. Fall
    2. Spring
    3. Winter
    4. Summer