This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your First Anime

Comments

• It was probably Samuari Pizza Cats which I watched at 6:30 every morning before school in the 7th grade when I was 12 or so.
  • edited September 2006
    Samurai Pizza Cats!

*and then he looks up and sees that it was in the post above him... weird...*
    Post edited by deaf-mute on
  • I was part of the DBZ generation of anime fans, given that I saw it on Toonami. That was where I saw most of my early anime. But I will almost never say that as my first anime I will generally say Outlaw Star as my first back in forth grade on toonami.
  • I watched Toonami as well, but only when Moltar was the host. That was the golden age.
  • edited September 2006
    ((sorry to revisit an over talked subject but..))
    I found another connection with the movie. (I just never give up don't I?)

1.In ep39 "you know who" said that "you know who" was in "another world."
    2.swords almost kills "you know who" in the end.
    3.in the movie, the dream world is consider a fake world.
    4."you know who" regains her memory at the end of the movie.

I think you know what I'm talking about. ;)
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I watched Toonami as well, but only when Moltar was the host. That was the golden age.
    The only host I remember was the little robot dude. I have no idea what his name was but his ship was called the Absolution: still one of the coolest names for an anime broadcasting spaceship ever.
  • A little bit of project A-ko
    Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z
    Ranma 1/2
    Doraemon (It was called Ding Dong by the Chinese)
    All of the above were dubbed in Chinese, so I mainly had to go by context.
  • I wish I could remember my "first" anime. I kinda grew up with anime, living in a heavily asian neighborhood. I know I saw both fansubs and dubs of Sailor moon before I was out of fourth grade, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the first anime I had watched, as the art style already seemed familiar. I know I understood "Anime" at 13, though I have to admit I was enthralled by Pokemon at the time. That passed, but not that long after some friends brought fansubs of Hellsing to school and that's where my love began.

• Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z
    Ranma 1/2
    Doraemon (It was called Ding Dong by the Chinese)
    All of the above were dubbed in Chinese, so I mainly had to go by context.
    lolz, you and I must have been watching the same shows on the same channels. I can't believe Doraemon (or Ding Dong as I like to call him) is still going. They recently released a movie here in Hong Kong. I can't say I wasn't tempted to go see it ^_^'
  • My brother and I rented Akira from the local video store and it blew my mind. I remember clearly enjoying the slow atmospheric parts (that I usually skip through or fast foward now) just because Akira built this whole cyber-punk world with it's own interworking social systems and structures. You could really feel yourself get lost watching all the different characters, all the stuff going on around Kaneda.

The next ones were Bubblegum Crisis and Project Ako. Then probably Fist of the North Star, Robotech series, Dragon Half OAV, Evangelion, etc...

Anime used to be SO DAMN GOOD....
  • I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone to read the Akira manga. If you liked the movie, you aint seen nothing. It's relatively expensive compared to other manga. But it's a small price to pay for the best manga ever.
  • I've been wanting to read teh Akira manga for a long time, its just too damn expensive. I can't even justify it, and I paid $50 for a Yoshitako Amano art book.
  • I got teh akira manga for $6 bucks a book.
  • edited September 2006
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Akira was my first watching of anime knowing it was anime.
  • edited September 2006
    I discovered anime at my local Hollywood video many years ago during the age of vhs, I was wandering around and found a shelf full of strange looking cartoons. I rented two, one called Area88, and another called Bastard!.. The next day after re-watching both twice I spent the next week marathoning all the anime the video rental place had including Patlabor, Sol Bianca, Macross II, random Ranma 1/2 and Armored Trooper Votoms. Those were fun times :D
    Post edited by Kite on
  • edited September 2006
    I discovered anime watching someone's poorly-subbed HK copy of "Yu Yu Hakusho". Even though it was mostly incomprehensible (this particular set has got to be the worst set of HK subtitles in existence.) it led to discovering a multitude of good series.
    Post edited by RandomlyBored on
  • RymRym
    edited September 2006
    We'll probably do a whole week of "how did you get into x geekery?" in the future, and I'm sure I've mentioned this on the show at least tangentially, but:

When I was in fourth grade, my mom saw advertisements for "something like those Castlevania games you like" on the SciFi channel. Dutifully, I sat myself down that Saturday to be greeted with Vampire Hunter D. I'd missed the first 10 minutes or so of it, but I was fascinated. I'd never seen anything like it. To my young mind, D was the coolest person ever.

All in all, and thanks mostly to the Sci-Fi channel's anime blocks, my first anime were:

Vampire Hunter D
    Project A-ko
    Dominion Tank Police
    Robot Carnival
    Cashan: Robot Hunter
    Eight Man After
    Record of Lodoss War

I also rented just about every VHS in the anime sections of all the local video rental stores. Among them:

The Heroic Legend of Arislan
    Wind of Amnesia
    Area 88: Blue Skies of Betrayal

I particularly remember seeing Tenchi Muyo in Love on television when I was a freshman in high school. I almost immediately purchased the entire OAV (dubbed, since it was cheaper). In high school, I also watched a lot of Sailor Moon, Slayers NEXT, Saber Marionette, Tenchi Universe, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and countless movies, not to mention Serial Experiments Lain and Vision of Escaflowne, which I watched tape-by-tape as they came out. In a particularly fantastic blunder, I ended up seeing End of Evangelion before I even knew there was an associated show. (Wow, spoilers ;^))

Escaflowne was a big deal to me in high school. Online video was still in its infancy, but I managed to see a low-resolution trailer for it. I waited eagerly until it began to come out, and immediately forced my gaming group to watch the first tape. They were hooked, and we started buying the tapes as they came out, integrating them into our weekly D&D sessions. We'd argue for hours about each one after we'd watched it. I recall very clearly that no one in the room said a word for a good ten minutes after the credits rolled on the last episode.

Then, onto the RIT Anime club, where I discovered Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun, etc... Midway through my freshman year, the Escaflowne movie appeared online as one of the first widely-distributed digi-subs. I skipped class and watched it immediately. Fansubs exploded a few months later, and combined with the anime club library we watched a good 4-6 hours of anime every single week, not to mention frequent weekend marathons.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • You're not the only person to see End of Eva before watching the show. In high school one of my friends gave me a CD with EoE on it (it was probably the first fansub I saw, but I didn't realize it at the time) and I managed to completly blow my mind out with it. Luckily I recovered.
  • VOLTES V!!!

j/k

I've been watching anime practically forever so I really don't know... It's not really something I just discovered one day, it's always been there.
  • The first anime that I saw was Sailor Moon that ran on Fox's local morning saturday cartoon block. I remember watching it and thinking Sailor Moon was the most badass cartoon ever. I kinda figured out it was from Japan because the lip synch was off and all of the signs were in japanese.

Getter Robo is now the most bad ass cartoon ever, but I still have fond memories of watching Sailor Moon in total awe.
  • The first anime I saw that I knew what the show was and what anime was would have been Cowboy Bebop a few years ago. In hindsight I caught a few episodes of Aeon Flux (does it count as anime?) during high school which were intriguing but confusing, and there have always been robot cartoons and such from a young age.
  • edited September 2006
    My first anime was Sailor Moon, I watched it on CN when they aired it on Toonami in 2000, and I religiously followed that show. It got me interested in anime and manga (especially shoujo anime and manga). The Sailor Moon R movie was also the first anime I watched subtitled, and the first fansub I watched was the Japanese version of Sailor Moon as well (they were .rm files ripped from old tapesubs...this was around the time tapesubs were slowly dying out...).

Also, Aeon Flux isn't anime, it is an American cartoon.
    Post edited by doinkies on
  • The first anime I ever saw (as in passing glimpse) would have been Astro Boy. The first anime I wanted to see was Sailor Moon. The first anime I ever managed to see in its entirety was either Hellsing or Evangelion; I don't remember since I saw them at a similar period in time (ie. my 'anime phase').

Since then, I've mostly lost all interest in anime or manga. I'm sure there's a bunch of good stuff, but I just don't care enough to bother watching or getting them. I still have a soft spot for FLCL and the Read or Die OVA though...
  • The first anime I ever saw (that I can remember) would have to be Pokemon (the original). I used to watch it religiously every saturday morning as a kid. I wish there was a more interesting story to this, but no. That's it. :(
  • There were the quasi-anime U.S. cartoons like Jacen and the Wheel Warriors, MASK, Transformers, Voltron, Go-Bots, Thundercats, Silverhawks, etc.

Then there was my first encounter with "proper" anime in college, when my roommate sat me down and said "watch this." Then he popped Ninja Scroll in the VCR. From there it grew to Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Vandread, Gungrave, and on and on and on...
  • The first anime I ever saw and knew was anime was 3x3 Eyes. Shortly after that, I discovered Saturday Anime on Scifi.
  • ...probably DragonballZ. I remember my cousin (who lives in Thailand) sending me a random video (somewhere in the middle of the cell saga?) when I was in primary school. Haha, I had no idea what it was or what was going on. Wait, actually he sent me some Doraemon too so maybe I watched that one first. I would have been more familiar with that anyway because my Aunt bought me a Doraemon manga and read it to me when I was in second grade or something. Man, that was awesome. *I* want to go to a magical land where are the people have evolved from canines and there are giant robot statues. :D Or have awesome spray that makes things hover. So great. :B Doraemon was definitely my first manga, at least.
  • edited October 2006
    I was lucky enough that when I was six to eight, my family had a lodger who studied at the local university and would sometimes babysit, where he would bring tapes of Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Vampire Hunter D.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Other than the anime cartoons (Thundercats, etc.) that I watched when I was a baby; the first anime I saw was Kiki Delivery Service on AMC or TCM when I was about 16 or so. I could not sleep, so I was flipping through the channels and just happened to catch it. I knew it was Japanese animation, but I didn’t really get what that meant and I didn’t know the term anime. I kept getting hung up on the fact that she was delivering fish pies. Anyway, after that, and ex-boyfriend showed me Record of Lodos War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (which I pretty much ignored excepting the Lodos Island part. The first time I watched an anime and really understood what anime was about was Trigun around my 18th birthday, so that is what hooked me.