This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The latest Apple announcement...

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
http://live.macobserver.com/article/2006/09/apple_special_event.shtml

I'm too lazy to write down everything that happened, so just read this blog.

I don't care what any of you say, but I'm getting that 80G iPod in a HEARTBEAT! :D

I dunno. Post your comments here, I guess...

Comments

• 80GB? When are you ever going to find 80 gigs of music, movies, and podcasts that you actually care about?
  • So true. I only have a 30GB and I never have filled it up. So tell me why I should buy this.
  • Actually, I have 55 gigs + of music on my hard drive. The 80 gig iPod is one of the few good portable mp3 players that could hold all of my music and my podcasts with decent room to expand. I still wouldn't think of buying it anytime soon, especially not while my nano still lives. But there are people out there with lots of music. I can see the benefit of being able to take all the music with me everywhere.
  • I use my iPod as an external harddrive as well as an mp3 player. Granted, you can get youself one for far cheaper, but it's so helpful to have a tiny sturdy, solid-state external HD that doesn't need external power sources.
  • edited September 2006
    I just returned my Sansa e260 and ordered a Nano. I was really torn, and I'm actually having some regrets. But... they solved the two problems that I actually cared about: battery life and scratches. I love the aluminium case.

I'll miss the Sansa because:
    1) I've got a lot of wma files. (Thanks to a little "tool" that was posted recently.)
    2) I like to drag and drop files.

Video was useless feature on the Sansa (an archaic codec), and I wouldn't have used it anyway. Since I listen to 99% podcasts, the IPod really made sense. I'm not a fan of being a slave to ITunes, but it does handle podcasts better than anything else out there. And now I can download enhanced podcasts!

I've never understood why people bitch about the Nano not having an FM radio? Isn't the whole point of an mp3 player to avoid listening to the radio? Just like with my DVR, I can't stand advertisements now that I've gone digital. Needless to say, it was a feature of the Sansa that I didn't care about.

The Sansa, once you get the hang of it, is a very good mp3 player. But... the IPod aint exactly bad either. I would recommend both. The Sansa has more features, and subscription music services are a nice option. The Nano is noticeably smaller, and it's better for podcasts.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • The real nice thing, that no one seemed to mention so far, is Apple finally pulled their head out of their butts and made the Ipod live updating. No more annoyances of re-syncing before walking away.
  • There is such a thing as too big, and I think Apple hit that a long time ago.
  • I don't know about anyone else, but I was completely underwhelmed by the keynote today. First of all, like they were speculating, the ipod should have had a wider screen. Making it brighter and increasing it's storage isn't good enough. It's one thing to do this to a DS Lite, but that was because the first version blew.

Next, no announcement or even an update to the site on macbooks / pro's having Core 2 Duo's. What kind of crap is that? It's like nothing we expected and wanted, happened at all. OK, maybe it slightly did with the iTV, but I was wanting something more like a Mac Mini. However, I can understand why they didn't include anything more with it. They don't want something like to be too expensive for consumers who've already bought all their products.
  • Does anyone know how they were able to improve the battery life on the Nano? It's smaller, and battery technology hasn't improved that much. Does it have to do with the chipset?

As for the Video IPod and the new TV box, I just can't see myself ditching cable yet. There are about 4 shows that I watch regularly. Add another 2 for my wife. That's six shows per week at $2. Multiply that by 4.33 weeks a month, and you get $51. I get a ton of channels and a sweet DVR for about $20 more per month. That is totally worth it to me - especially since I get a ton more programming with cable tv. There are some things that ITunes can't give - local news, breaking news on CNN, etc. I want to ditch my cable tv, but this isn't going to get it done.
  • edited September 2006
    glimp7: The reason there was no mention of the Core 2 Duos was because it was an iPod/iTunes event. Apple is very specific about which events they promote which products at, and that would have just been out of place. Same reason they didn't mention any of this iStuff at the Mac Developers Conference a while back.

As far as this event went, I really like the look of the new iPod Shuffle. It's a clip! I was also initially excited about the new iTunes stuff, and all the snazzy album art stuff (ie. the former CoverFlow) is nice and all, but it doesn't work nearly as well as it did when it was a separate program. In iTunes it winds up just slowing things down and being less useful than it was before, which is a bit of a bummer. Everything else is really only a plus if you use the iTunes Music Store, which sucks because nobody should do that. (At least for music. Are the TV and movie offerings as gibbled DRM and quality-wise as the music? Anyone know?)
    Post edited by crowe on
  • Oh ok. That makes sense. But still, widescreen Video iPod? I think the change in screen and storage was a bad idea on apples part. Think about it. Is everbody seriously going to go out and buy a brand new ipod that looks exactly the same? People are waiting for something bigger and better to come out and it hasn't happened yet. Christmas is going to come around and they might be able to sell more iPod Nano and maybe some Shuffles.

And don't take this as a biased opinion. I'm a mac enthusiast now, after being a Windows fanatic for years, not this has anything to do with computers at all.

Oh forgot to mention, the new ipod should have had wifi also. The zune might have a chance now. I know it's hard to believe, but it's lookin' better to me every day.
  • I want to ditch my cable tv, but this isn't going to get it done.
    Just stop watching TV. I haven't watched TV since I entered college over 6 years ago. With video games, podcasts, manga, comics, anime, the Internet and everything else, TV is dead to me.
    Oh forgot to mention, the new ipod should have had wifi also. The zune might have a chance now. I know it's hard to believe, but it's lookin' better to me every day.
    I'm almost inclined to agree. It's looking more and more like I'm going to get an XBox 360 12 to 18 months from now when the price drops. An mp3 player with wifi would allow me to update podcasts on the go and elminate the need to carry around a USB cable. I won't be shopping for a new player until my nano dies. But when it does, you can be sure that the Zune might be a serious contender.
  • edited September 2006
    I've heard that the Zune will not have that feature when it debuts. There are a whole bunch of DRM concerns, unfortunately. The only wireless capability will be some sort of weird file sharing feature where a friend can "borrow" a song for a limited period of time - and then is graciously given the opportunity to buy it.
  • I've heard that the Zune will not have that feature when it debuts. There are a whole bunch of DRM concerns, unfortunately. The only wireless capability will be some sort of weird file sharing feature where a friend can "borrow" a song for a limited period of time - and then is graciously given the opportunity to buy it.
    That's fine. As long as it has wireless hardware in it, I can install Linux on it and do what I want.
  • edited September 2006
    I'm getting the 80G because I don't ONLY use it as a media player, but also as a portable hard disk.

My old 60G Photo has about 17 gigs of music, .65 gigs of photos, and around 20 gigs of other stuff!

Plus, videos take up quite a bit of space, especially with Apple putting FULL LENGTH MOVIES on the iTunes music store! I don't really know about the games, but nonetheless, they're still going to take up even more space!

And don't even get me started on the stockload of video podcasts out there!
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • There's no such thing as too big
    But there is such thing as "larger and more expensive than is currently necessary".
  • edited September 2006
    I don't like how you have to purchase the 80gb model to get the extra 6 hours of battery life. That makes no sense to me.
  • I don't like how you have to purchase the 80gb model to get the extra 6 hours of battery life. That makes no sense to me.
    Well, I'm no technician (maybe Rym or Scott could elaborate for me...), but I believe that due to the larger amount of memory, there's more space in the iPod's case. I also believe that due to the thicker case, Apple is able to supply it with a bigger and better battery (that, or so they can give you more bang-for-your-buck).

However, this is just a guess, so don't take my word for it. Instead, wait for Rym or Scott to post their reply :)
  • I don't like how you have to purchase the 80gb model to get the extra 6 hours of battery life. That makes no sense to me.
    Well, I'm no technician (maybe Rym or Scott could elaborate for me...), but I believe that due to the larger amount of memory, there's more space in the iPod's case. I also believe that due to the thicker case, Apple is able to supply it with a bigger and better battery (that, or so they can give you more bang-for-your-buck).

However, this is just a guess, so don't take my word for it. Instead, wait for Rym or Scott to post their reply :)
    That's pretty much not true. AFAIK all of the big iPods are the same size. Since those iPods have hard drives and not flash memory, the hard drives are probably the same size in both devices. My guess is that it's just a price issue. Since you pay more for the bigger iPod, they can still make a sufficient profit if they give you a better battery. Also, since you have more music on the bigger iPod, you need more hours of battery to listen to all of it.
  • Actually, I know for sure that the video iPods differ in thickness depending on their HD size, as I've seen them with my own eyes. Otherwise, thanks for pointing that out.

But there is one more thing.

Here's the link to the actual QuickTime video of the Apple presentation:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/sep_2006/event/index.html

The video's about 1.15 hours long, so only watch it if you have the time. If you end up watching it, pay attention to the way Steve introduces each new product. One word: GENIUS!
  • edited September 2006
    Actually, I know for sure that the video iPods differ in thickness depending on their HD size (though I don't know if that's directly relavent), as I've seen them with my own eyes. Otherwise, thanks for pointing that out.

The video's about 1.15 hours long, so only watch it if you have the time. If you end up watching it, pay attention to the way Steve introduces each new product. One word: GENIUS!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006
    Actually, I know for sure that the video iPods differ in thickness depending on their HD size (though I don't know if that's directly relavent), as I've seen them with my own eyes. Otherwise, thanks for pointing that out.

Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006

-EDIT- Dead link! -EDIT

-EDIT- Whoops! Pressed "quote" instead of "edit". Sorry!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006
    looks like you did it twicethree times ;p
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • Three no, FOUR times!
  • And not once did you press the HTML radio button.
  • That's strange...

Sorry! :O
  • Just what I always wanted. The ability to do almost everything with my phone without requiring it to be unlocked.
  • Say what now?
  • So many updates to Siri. Why do they even bother? Are people actually using it? I immediately completely disable it on every Apple device I use, and plan to do so forever. I've never seen anyone talk to their phone or watch outside of a Siri demo.