This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080624 - Shadows over Camelot

edited June 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Shadows Over Camelot. In the news, instead of the news, Scott laments plastic pretend instruments out of control, and Rym brings up both his gripes with and plans for Team Fortress 2 in the wake of the Pyro announcements.

Scott's Thing - Wii Homebrew is Easy
Rym's Thing - DJ 8-Ball (1, 2, 3)

Comments

• edited June 2008
    You paid $2000 for a car? What the hell kind of car is it?

Also, GH's drum set has one big problem that I can see- the pedal isn't affixed to anything. That isn't good. Sure, they probably claim to have some non-slip surface on the bottom...but like DDR pads, they find their way to slip and slide all over the fucking place. The best new set coming out is gonna be made by Mad Catz (oh shit!). It's like $150, which is insane...but just look:
    http://kotaku.com/5017816/some-third+party-rock-band-alternatives
    Properly placed cymbals, 2 METAL pedals. My friend claims that the $150 is totally worth it, since if you break a plastic pedal, you have to pay out the ass to get it replaced. Also, why are you saying "if" there is singing? From that article you posted from IGN, there's gonna be singing.
    Anyways, I'm on the Rock Band side of things. After GH3, I'm done with GH as a whole.

Also, ITG was made by fanboys. It's true.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited June 2008
    1. Make your own rules for the table talk. If you are going to rules lawyer, change the very basic mechanic that pisses you off, so that you can occasionally enjoy a game.

2. OMG actual expansion! New knights with new powers, Merlin, and two traitors, bitches!

EDIT: No typing while half-asleep. For serious.
    Post edited by Your Mom on
  • 1. Make your own rules for the table talk. If you are going to rules lawyer, change the very basic mechanic that pisses you off, so that you can occasionally enjoy a game.
    House rules leave a very bad taste in the mouth.
  • House rules leave a very bad taste in the mouth.
    Waaaaaambulance.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2008
    Waaaaaambulance.
    Well, for one, house rules tend to be broken, as they would require extensive playtesting before they could be trusted to be fair. I can think of maybe two or three house rules in my entire boardgaming life that were worthwhile.

More to the point, Shadows Over Camelot is impossible to fix (table-talk wise) without extensive changes to the entire game. It's not actually balanced, and players have to tread this soft line between cheating and not cheating. The game is actually set up to allow the players to cheat, as there is no one external to stop them and no incentive to do it themselves. In fact, anyone who seriously tried to enforce the rules would likely be branded as the traitor. The "wink and a nod" aspect just changes the surface interaction of the players and not the actual content of their communication: "I'm thirsty" just means "I need grail cards." "Three is my favourite number" just means "pass me a three, Arthur."

Why pretend not to allow players to talk, yet play a game where everyone basically cheats and pretends not to notice? ^_~

Like we said, it's a good party game, but the flaws inherent in its rules run very, very deep.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I've looked into making a mod for TF2 and the Source SDK doesn't really let you modify anything other than a single player HL2 game or a multiplayer HL2 game. There is no way to directly access the models and engine of TF2 AFAIK. You can create maps for TF2 using their materials, but I don't think you can access the game logic directly. If anyone can shed some light on this issue, it would be appreciated.
  • I almost had a stroke when you called Arkham Horror the WoW of board games...
  • You can create maps for TF2 using their materials, but I don't think you can access the game logic directly.
    I was worried about something like this. Quake 2's modding community was so massive due mostly to its openness and the simplicity of modding it. Making the changes to TF2 would be fairly straightforward; creating a new mod from HL2 would be a disaster.
  • I was worried about something like this. Quake 2's modding community was so massive due mostly to its openness and the simplicity of modding it. Making the changes to TF2 would be fairly straightforward; creating a new mod from HL2 would be adisaster.
    But here is the thing, you see all of these modified CS:S maps like Gun Game that change the whole basis of the gameplay but are not really a "mod". they are just maps which completely different game logic. I've seen maps which change speed of players, no/low grav, ect. Is this done via scripts written for the specific maps or some other files uploaded? Does anyone know the answer to this?
  • But here is the thing, you see all of these modified CS:S maps like Gun Game that change the whole basis of the gameplay but are not really a "mod". they are just maps which completely different game logic. I've seen maps which change speed of players, no/low grav, ect. Is this done via scripts written for the specific maps or some other files uploaded? Does anyone know the answer to this?
    I'm pretty sure that low gravity and such are server variables that get changed. Admins often will turn those things on and off for fun.
  • Drinking will lower all expectations and, Yes, will make anything shitty seem great.

Alcohol is just a numbing agent for the crappy games, movies, etc.
  • Scott, if you do the hacking, make a vid for us and maybe a GN special, not the lazy special, about you experiences and how you did it. Because if it is a easy as you say it is, then I think I might do the same.
  • I'm pretty sure that low gravity and such are server variables that get changed. Admins often will turn those things on and off for fun.
    Well, then I'm not sure that modding TF2 to our goals is even possible. I don't think there is anyway to keep the awesome interface and artistic value of TF2 and modify the gameplay to our liking without a tremendous amount of effort.
  • I would like to say, in my defense, that I traitored as much as possible during our game. With the Crew, if you play even slightly sub-optimally, the accusations of "traitor" fly pretty quickly. There wasn't much else I could do to stymie things without being very obviously a traitor.

I really wanted that damn armor, though. Still miffed about that.
  • I would like to say, in my defense, that I traitored as much as possible during our game. With the Crew, if you play even slightly sub-optimally, the accusations of "traitor" fly pretty quickly. There wasn't much else I could do to stymie things without being very obviously a traitor.

I really wanted that damn armor, though. Still miffed about that.
    I'm actually starting to think the traitor is much better of being balatanly evil. You can't be accused until there are a certain number of siege engines out there. So why not just do as much evil as possible forcing the players to load up the siege engines? You can probably get more evil done that way than if you do a little bit of evil with subtlety.

Now I'm actually thinking the players are best off taking all siege engines until there are 6. Thus, you get almost an entire round of actions without black cards in order to start the game out. You can also clear up some of the siege engines because you start out already in Camelot drawing cards.
  • edited June 2008
    Friends are a numbing agent for the crappy games, movies, etc.
    Chemicals are no substitute for biological beings. Don't drink, kids.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I am a personal friend of DJ 8-Ball.

I forwarded this episode's link to him. I think he will be most pleased. ^_^
  • I am a personal friend of DJ 8-Ball.

I forwarded this episode's link to him. I think he will be most pleased. ^_^
    Awesomes!
  • Arkham Horror has numerous expansions out for it that do change the game. Even though it is a "beat the game" game it is hardly played out after only a couple of plays.
  • edited June 2008
    I know asking for a correction would be petty but I think it was me (probably wrong though) who pointed out all the FPSs you liked would be mods. I just wanted to hear you mangle my name on air.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Has anyone else tried the Wii homebrew yet. I just tried it and it worked fine. All you do is backup your twilight princess data and add the hacked save file. You have to add a few files to the SD card, and then you boot up Zelda. After you select the right file you just walk toward the guy on screen and the installer boots up. After that you have a homebrew channel on your Wii and you can restore your original save data from an SD card. Now when you want to boot the homebrew game you just go to the channel and it boots it off of the SD card. When they say it is easy they mean it. I'm not sure but it seems fairly safe since all of the programs are on the SD card.I just got quake running and it is pretty nice. The controls are pretty sensative but otherwise it works fine.
  • Little known fact: The Twilight Princess hack is achieved via a stack smash.
  • Little known fact: The Twilight Princess hack is achieved via a stack smash.
    That was obvious, to me at least.
  • One thing I noticed: Quake Wii could possibly open up some sort of hardcore-fps-mecca, right?
    Because the video said mods could be available eventually, and online play should be possible too...
    Sooo... online Wii Team Fortress / Weapons Factory / whatever anyone?

But obviously, the controls are less precise than good ol' mouse&keyboard >.>

Also, DDR Freestyle is pretty cool, but PIU Freestyle is even better imho. That might change with PIU Pro, because they kinda took in most of the artists from In The Groove, so those ITG people might change the community ):
  • edited June 2008
    One thing I noticed: Quake Wii could possibly open up some sort of hardcore-fps-mecca renaissance, right?
    How accurate is the Wiimote? You can only really turn a finite amount as well.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Do you mean finite amount or finite speed? It uses a control-scheme very much like the HL2-Wiimote-Mod (sorry, I don't actually know any Wii FPSs or how their controls work), where you can aim at whatever point on the screen you want, and the character basically turns in the direction of that point, the further away from the center you point, the faster it turns.

I guess the Wiimote can be pretty accurate under optimal conditions, but due to it using a camera for the pointing stuff, accuracy probably deteriorates as you get further away from the IR bar, plus there's the problem of pointing precisely in mid-air... IIRC that problem surfaced with Okami recently, ie a lot of reviewers found it too hard to draw the symbols "properly".

Actually, I tried to find out some more about the Wiimote, and learned that it only has a 128x96 camera. However there's some "subpixel analysis" that gets it up to 1024x768 ... I couldn't fit this into the above paragraph in any way, since I don't know if it's good or bad...

PS: Renaissance really fits my train of thought better, thank you for pointing that out (=
  • Quake Wii could possibly open up some sort of hardcore-fps-mecca, right?
    Sadly, it would be impossible. The sheer mouse sensitivity, coupled with the 110-120 FOV I used, would simply not be attainable, limiting high-end play.
    online Wii Team Fortress / Weapons Factory / whatever anyone?
    Weapons Factory would be impossible without writing an entirely new interface for it: it required a good half of my keyboard to be mapped to the various controls.

The Wii-mote is a very limited tool that can serve a very limited purpose. Sadly, most of the best ideas I've heard regarding this sort of controller require transcending these limits.
  • I will be bringing my copy of Merlin's Company, the Shadow's Over Camelot Expansion. This means that all FRC members present can play. Merlin will kick ass, Morgan has some new friends, and at least one new traitor may be in the mix.
  • I will be bringing my copy of Merlin's Company, the Shadow's Over Camelot Expansion.
    As a perspective purchaser of this product, I wouldn't mind some sort of review or general impressions after playing SoC with the expansion.
  • edited August 2008
    I did the hack and it worked, but I can't get any of my apps to load. I can see them on the SD card and on the Home brew app home, but when I go to Load it, It just sits at zero. I'm going to have to play around a lot with this to figure it out.

Edit: The main reason why did hacked my Wii was for the Gecko region free loader so I can play me some Imports. Gundam 0079 anyone?

Edit:Edit: It was stupidly easy.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on