This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Free Books that are good

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
Well I found this.
Did I mention that I love Paulo Coelho

Comments

• Neil Gaiman's American Gods.
  • I have major difficulty with reading books on a computer screen.
  • I have major difficulty with reading books on a computer screen.
    What keeps you from printing 4 pages/A4? Or 8 if you are used to teeny-weeny-eye-strain-O-vision.
  • I couple years back I got "A Picture of Dorian Gray" off the Gutenberg Project website and it was a great read. I ended up printing it off...so I guess it cost me the cost of the ink.
  • edited June 2008
    What keeps you from printing 4 pages/A4?
    Binding it properly. Staples do not work. And going out of my way to get A4 paper. The few bucks it takes to buy the paperback is worth saving the effort for me.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Binding a book isn't that hard
  • And going out of my way to get A4 paper.
    Eh? You don't have A4 paper in your printer? As for binding, it's not hard, heck, you can even use a needle and thread.
  • And going out of my way to get A4 paper.
    Eh? You don't have A4 paper in your printer? As for binding, it's not hard, heck, you can even use a needle and thread.
    In the US we use letter size, which is a little shorter than A4.
  • In the US we use letter size, which is a little shorter than A4.
    Oh yes, crazy Americans with their different standards. No liters, no meters, no celsius, not even A4 as standard.
    Letter size is 8½ × 11 inches, or exactly 215.9 × 279.4 mm (while the A4 standard is 210mm × 297mm). - Wikipedia Letter (paper size)
    That's almost just as large, it's even wider than A4, so more space for text on a 'page' vertically. You can just as easily print 4 pages on one letter sized sheet of paper, so use that instead Sail. :p
  • jccjcc
    edited June 2008
    A library card.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • A library card.
    What's a...library?
  • edited June 2008
    You know, something funny happened the other day. I was sitting around with my parents and I was like "I wish they had something like netflix for books. You can borrow as many as you like, then return them after you are done. That would be great...oh wait." The irony dawned on me. Duh. I have a NY Public Library card and everything.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Quarter Share and sequels are all free audio books.
  • You know, something funny happened the other day. I was sitting around with my parents and I was like "I wish they had something like netflix for books. You can borrow as many as you like, then return them after you are done. That would be great...oh wait." The irony dawned on me. Duh. I have a NY Public Library card and everything.
    Oh god, it's happening.
  • Oh god, it's happening.
    I use the library. It was just one of those minutes of Emily playing the Boke.
  • Interlibrary loan is the best thing that's ever happened to me, book-wise.
  • edited July 2008
    I frequented my local library when I lived in Buffalo, but I haven't ever visited the local library where we live (and have lived for 2 years now). I just haven't had the need tanks to cheap used books on amazon, e-books of various kinds, gift certificates to book stores, and borrowing from friends and family, etc. I just haven't run out of reading material. Also, small local libraries have such a small (and often outdated) collection that it almost isn't worth it (unless you need a free internet connection or you have a little kid).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm going to the library today to pick up "The Prince of Nothing: The Darkness that Comes Before."
  • jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    Also, small local libraries have such a small (and often outdated) collection that it almost isn't worth it (unless you need a free internet connection or you have a little kid).
    This can be a plus. Lotta good old stuff. I probably wouldn't have become introduced to a bunch of authors (Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Roger Zelazny, L. Sprague de Camp, Frank Herbert, Ursula K. LeGuin, Larry Niven, Clifford D. Simak, Philip K. Dick, Robert Silverberg, Piers Anthony, Poul Anderson, Frederik Pohl, C.J. Cherryh, Robert Aspirin, Orson Scott Card, Douglas Adams, etc. etc. etc.) if it hadn't been for behind-the-times library collections, since the bulk of their stuff was written before I was born or when I was too young to care.
    Post edited by jcc on