This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Purchasing Utena: Halp Plz

edited August 2007 in Anime
So I've been watching Utena and got through 14 or so episodes - I'm gonna just buy it all, I'll trust Rym/Scott.

I need help deciding WHAT DVD's I need to buy - so far I've found the Black Rose Saga, here, and there's a bunch more here... Which ones do I need to get the whole series? Is it basically all of them but the movie?

Thanks guys - also, keep it to the linked site if possible.

Comments

• There's the first series of 'sodes, the black rose saga, and one more boxed set.

Seek the boxed sets my child!
  • edited September 2007
    See, that's my problem... :(

There's the "Temptation" among a ton of others - are these just like 4 episode DVD's that aren't boxed?

Thanks AB.

Edit: Just found this - Is this the 3/3? I watched the first 13, I can wait on that, I need the last of it...
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • You're the man. Thanks.

• Update: My Utena box sets are in the mail :) I can't wait to watch it again... When I heard Rym/Scott say "An apple with forks in it" after finishing the series I was literally flipping out going "Oh, fuck shit oh my god!"

I still need to find the initial 13 episodes... I can't find it on Canamazon or Chapters' website... I got the 2 box sets for 80 bucks though which isn't terrible at all.
  • I found Utena Black Rose Collection on sale at here. However, you have to sign up for a 7-day trial some membership thing, but you can cancel it to get out of paying for it.
  • Tempting, but looks a bit shady.
  • Those "7 day trial" sign up deals are what made me finally drop an old e-mail address. It became so clogged with spam that I simply transfered all of the useful emails and mailing lists to a new name.

On topic, the last Utena that I bought was at an anime convention. It was the Black Rose Saga box, and I still haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
  • I found Black Rose and... Apocalypse(?) Saga... The last 2 sets. Need the first now :)
  • I just downloaded a sweet torrent which is a rip of the dvds with less ugly subs. Its out of print so its o.k. by me! No one I know will watch this show because of how it looks. Slightly infuriating!
  • Just got back from the first day of Sakura Con. Found the complete series for a decent price, especially since it's no longer released for sale. They also sell stuff online. So if anyone was curious you can go to animedepot.com
  • edited March 2008
    If you happen to see the first 13 episodes before the end of the con, I'll buy them off you if you grab 'em. My info is in my profile. Saves me shipping them to Canada through the Internet, which always proves expensive.

Edit: But not as expensive as 62 dollars for 13 episodes in 2 Utena DVDs :|
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • I got the first & last box sets for I think $50 each, however he didn't have the Black Rose Saga box set, however he had the individual DVDs for sale for $10 each. So not too bad. I'll try to look out for more.
  • Sorry to resurrect this old topic.

I want to start watching Utena. According to above posts, it appears that I do not need to watch episodes in order; Bebop style. Is this true? Also, which sets should I buy, if any. (I believe there are four).
  • edited July 2008
    According to above posts, it appears that I do not need to watch episodes in order; Bebop style. Is this true? Also, which sets should I buy, if any. (I believe there are four).
    I don't know where you got that idea, but no, that is absolutely not the case. Utena is a series that MUST be watched in order. You could possibly argue that someone could skip the Black Rose Saga (in the middle, episodes 14-23), but I'd strongly advise against that.

The problem recently is that the set of the first thirteen episodes is getting really hard to find anywhere (though I see that Amazon has some from random sellers), which is why people were talking about finding different sets. Get what you can find, right? That being said, there are three sets that exist: the Rose Collection (eps 1-13 + the movie), the Black Rose Saga (eps 14-26), and the Apocalypse Saga (eps 27-39). You can also buy the series in ten individual DVDs, if you have a really hard time finding all the sets.

But yes, I strongly suggest that you start at the beginning and don't skip around, if you can help it.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I misread something. The person watched the beginning episodes, but bought the rest. They were looking to buy the beginning episodes. Sorry for that. I thought inversely.
  • edited August 2008
    In case anyone wasn't aware, apparently in Japan there will soon be a fully remastered release of Utena in honour of the series' 10th anniversary. It will feature 5.1 sound, digital remastering of the video (plus possibly some "fixes" in the animation; not positive, but it sounds that way from Ikuhara's blog posts), and lots of extras both new and old. And since they were remastering all the music anyway, there will also be a complete CD box set featuring remastered versions of every single Utena OST ever released, including those damn-hard-to-find ones like OSTs 5 and 6.

The downside? The cost, obviously. The part one DVD box alone will cost over $300 US, and both together will be well over $600. The price for the CD box isn't as bad - about $120 US, which works out to a great price per disc - but still, damn. To get both of those, you'd have to make quite an investment. And with the state the North American anime industry is in, these remastered DVDs will likely never see a cheaper state-side release. *sigh*

Thankfully, it seems that at least one or two members of the forum In the Rose Garden are planning to bite the bullet and buy the sets, then proceed to rip the fuck out of them and put them on BitTorrent for all to enjoy. ^^

These are the (slightly out of date) details as translated on another forum. Does anyone here know enough Japanese to translate the current details?
    DVD BOX (PART 1 of 2)
    Projected Release: September 26, 2008
    Cost with tax: 31,500 yen [193€, USD$301.79, AUS$323.45]
    6 DVDS (Episodes 1 through 24)
    * HD Cinema, Remastered edition
    5.1ch sound remaster

DVD BOX (Part 2 of 2)
    Projected Release: November 26, 2008
    Cost with tax: 31,500 yen [193€, USD$301.79, AUS$323.45]
    Bonus Footage:
    Musical: Revolutionary Girl Utena (Performed at the Hakuhinkan Theatre in 1997)
    Art Boards for the Music Clips
    6 DVDS (Episodes 25 through 39, The Utena Movie)
    * HD Cinema, Remastered edition
    5.1ch sound remaster

CD BOX
    Projected Release: August 27, 2008
    Cost with tax: 12,600 yen [77.24€, USD$120.71, AUS$129.40]
    Bonuses: Box illustrated by Chiho Saito
    8 CDs of Soundtracks plus a bonus 10th anniversary CD with new recordings
    Digitally Remastered
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • ^ wow, now that's expensive. I won't complain anymore for the price I had to pay to get the last boxset of Utena a few weeks ago.
  • Wow. If I knew that back in April, I might have considered picking this up. However, I got the whole series for half that price of the first box set.

I'm not sure if Star Child has this series, but they need to do this shit with Sailor Moon. Seriously.
  • edited September 2008
    *cough*

EDIT: Fine, never mind. I was just excited, since I know I'm not going to be able to afford the CD set or the DVDs.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • *cough*
    Purchasing does not mean pirating. :P
  • *cough*
    Whoah... remixed by Ikuhara. I'm really curious now.
  • Yeah so Rightstuf is relreleasing Utena in three limited edition sets based on the newer Japanese release. They're pretty reasonably priced, as in you'll be able to buy the whole thing for under $100, and if you buy/pre-order all three you get a replica duelist ring. I am 99% doing this.
  • Yeah so Rightstuf is relreleasing Utena in three limited edition sets based on the newer Japanese release. They're pretty reasonably priced, as in you'll be able to buy the whole thing for under $100, and if you buy/pre-order all three you get a replica duelist ring. I am 99% doing this.
    So if I order both of the ones that already out I won't get the ring? Well, I didn't know about that until 1 hour ago :(
  • edited July 2011
    So if I order both of the ones that already out I won't get the ring?
    No, my understanding is that you will. The ring comes with the pre-order of the third box if you've bought the other two. And the second box actually is still on pre-order, it doesn't come out until August.
    For a limited time – and while supplies last – fans who purchase ALL THREE Revolutionary Girl Utena remastered L.E. DVD Sets via RightStuf.com will receive a replica of the signet ring worn by Utena in the series. This exclusive gift item will be shipped to those who are eligible with the third and final DVD box set.
    "Purchase" not "pre-order."
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Just received the final box, and it's glorious. Very happy with this release overall. The rose seal ring replica also ended up being a bit more high quality than I expected. Just slightly too small for my ring finger, though. Maybe I'll get it resized if I ever go through with that Miki cosplay I've thought about doing.
  • Just received the final box, and it's glorious. Very happy with this release overall. The rose seal ring replica also ended up being a bit more high quality than I expected. Just slightly too small for my ring finger, though. Maybe I'll get it resized if I ever go through with that Miki cosplay I've thought about doing.
    The rose seal ring replica also ended up being a bit more high quality than I expected.
    The rose seal ring
    WHAT GRAVE ERROR HAVE I MADE IN NOT PURCHASING THIS?
  • I should have gotten it today but the horrible weather on Northern Virginia did not allowed me to have it :O
  • I GOT IT TODAY WOOOOOOOOO YEAH

I also ordered it within 15 minutes of it being released, and live in NYC. Life just got even better, look at everything in this box, I am so happy.