This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DCBS July Pre-Orders

edited July 2008 in Manga/Comics
Here is my list for this month:
- Zero G #1
- Air #2
- Casey Blue Beyond Tomorrow #5
- INDIANA JONES & TOMB OF THE GODS #4
- Storming Paradise #3
- War That Time Forgot #5 (on the bubble for me to give up on)
- Sub-Mariner Depths #1
- 1001 ARABIAN NIGHTS ADVENTURES OF SINBAD #5
- Beyond Wonderland #2
- Red Mass for Mars #4
- Doctor Who Forgotten #2
- Challenger Deep #3
- RAY HARRYHAUSEN PRESENTS BACK MYSTERIOUS ISLE #3
- Station #4
- Universal War One #3
- Previews (Not the greatest resource, but worth $1.12.)

Comments

• This is my preliminary list:

Monthlies
    FINAL CRISIS #4 - I am ready to be burned by an event. I love the idea of events, and if this is good then I win, if it is bad then I at least got an excuse to moan for 8 months.
    FINAL CRISIS: REVELATIONS #2
    FINAL CRISIS: ROGUES’ REVENGE #3
    FINAL CRISIS: LEGION OF THREE WORLDS #2
    AMBUSH BUG YEAR NONE #3 - Have no idea why I am getting this, I think I panicked when I was listing my order at my LCS and accidentally pointed to this.
    SECRET SIX #1 - Gail Simone is meant to be good but nothing I have read of hers has actually blown me away. This is her chance to impress me with something that will read ok monthly.

Trades
    THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOL. 4 HC - Last one, and probably the last Absolute I will bother with. They are too big to actually read. Then again if they do All Star Superman...
    WATCHMEN HC - Don't own it, have read it, probably should own it and lend it to everyone I know.
    CROSSING MIDNIGHT VOL. 3: THE SWORD IN THE SOUL TP - Love the art, love the story, a real shame that it is probably going to be a half arsed ending due to cancellation.
    NORTHLANDERS VOL. 1: SVEN THE RETURNED TP - Vertigo and Brian Wood are must Buys for me.
    OMEGA: THE UNKNOWN PREMIERE HC - unlikely to stay on final order but I love the covers.
    Enigma Cipher SC - I bought the first issue many moons ago and I tend to like cryptology but this might be cut too.
    Tezuka’s Black Jack V.1 HC - Apreche has said yes, preview story looked cool, and it is Tezuka so this should be a fun series to follow now that I have finished Death Note.
    Crogan’s Vengeance HC - Looks kind of fun and light, might break up some of the heavy reads above.
    Prince of Persia GN - Art looks incredible but I am unsure if I care at all about the premise.
    LOCKE & KEY HC - Too many god reviews to not check out, will almost definitely give this a go.

I am reading far more monthlies than I should as a trade waiter. The way I use monthlies now is as an excuse to chat to people about a recent event, a small snippet of story that I can think about over the month, something to speculate on and be surprised by. Of course you pay a premium for that experience but it is an enjoyable and unique experience to have so I don't mind doing it every now and then. Also avoiding all spoiler sites and podcasts has helped greatly in my enjoyment of my monthly title as it has encouraged me to think about it myself a little more.

Note: It may look like I spend tonnes on comics but the rule in my house is that Absolute Sandman is not part of the budget. It is an investment in security as the books can serve as a bullet proof shield or a clubbing device.
    - War That Time Forgot #5 (on the bubble for me to give up on)
    I read the first two issue of this and found it painful. I am completely finished with Bruce Jones.
  • Here's a quick tentative list. There are a bunch of books that I'm not getting because I either own them already, because they are only being offered in a format I do not want, because the price is no good, or because they are iffy. This list already comes out to $140, so I doubt I can add that much more to it.

TRIGUN MAXIMUM TP VOL 13 DOUBLE DUEL (C: 0-1-2)
    JONAH HEX LUCK RUNS OUT TP
    SPIRIT FEMME FATALES TP *Special Discount*
    WATCHMEN HC *Special Discount*
    EX MACHINA TP VOL 07 EX CATHEDRA (MR)
    GREATEST HITS #1 (OF 6) (MR) *Special Discount* Limit 2 at 75% off
    PHOENIX WRIGHT ACE ATTORNEY GN VOL 01 *Special Discount*
    BEASTS SC BOOK 01
    PRINCE OF PERSIA GN *Special Discount*
    ATOMIC ROBO DOGS OF WAR #2 (OF 5)
    APPLE ANTHOLOGY GN VOL 02 (MR) (C: 0-0-2)
    TEZUKAS BLACK JACK PX HC VOL 01 (C: 0-1-2) *Special Discount*
    FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST TP VOL 17 (C: 1-0-0)
  • Watchmen HC? What does the HC stand for?
    HC stands for Hard cover. This month they are soliciting three different formats for the book, the trade paperback, the hard cover, and an Absolute version which is an oversized Hard cover. No digest size, so they haven't catered for every market, but they almost have.
    Hard Cover?
  • Ah. So, no extras? It's just a hard cover?
  • Jesus, how much do you people spend on comics every month?

. . . not that there's anything wrong with that . . .
  • Ah. So, no extras? It's just a hard cover?
    WATCHMEN TP (FEB058406)

Written by Alan Moore; Art by Dave Gibbons It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach. But is Rorschach really insane or has he in fact uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and, even worse, millions of innocent civilians? On the run from the law, Rorschach reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save the world and their lives, but what they uncover will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet! Following two generations of masked superheroes from the close of World War II to the icy shadow of the Cold War comes this groundbreaking comic story - the story of The Watchmen.
    WATCHMEN HC *Special Discount*

Written by Alan Moore Art and cover by Dave Gibbons With a major motion picture in production for release spring 2009 from Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures and director Zack Snyder (300), this is DC Comics' first-ever hardcover edition of the Hugo Award-winning epic from writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons, offered at DC's standard trim size. One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has only grown in stature since its original publication. This volume features a new cover by Gibbons and contains the high-quality, recolored pages found in WATCHMEN: THE ABSOLUTE EDITION, which were restored by WildStorm FX and original series colorist John Higgins. Also included are selected bonus sketch materials. Advance-solicited; on sale November 12 • 436 pg, FC, $39.99 US

WATCHMEN THE ABSOLUTE EDITION HC (JUN050406)

Written by Alan Moore Art and cover by Dave Gibbons Celebrate the 20th anniversary of WATCHMEN - the classic 12-issue miniseries by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons - with Watchmen: The Absolute Edition, the first hardcover of this classic work in more than a decade! This oversized (8.25' x 12.5') hardcover collection, packaged inside a beautifully designed slipcase, will be the cornerstone of any serious comic book collection. Each page of art has been restored and recolored by WildStorm FX and original series colorist John Higgins and approved by Gibbons to appear as originally intended. Additionally, this grand tome will include 48 pages of supplemental material produced exclusively for the Graphitti Designs Watchmen hardcover edition and not seen since their original publication. Included therein is a cornucopia of rare and historically valuable treasures, including samples of Moore's WATCHMEN scripts, the original WATCHMEN proposal, Gibbons's conceptual art, cover roughs, and much, much more!
    The HC edition is the only printing that hasn't previously existed. The TP and Absolute editions have been around for awhile. Of course, these new printings will all probably have some mention of the movie on them. Sort of like when they reprinted Jurassic Park with covers to match the movies.
  • Jesus, how much do you people spend on comics every month?
    What I listed comes out to about $140 after shipping. Without the awesome discount it would be $228. $140 is a little high, but it's a big month. Usually I spend closer to $100. Many people spend more than that on Cable TV, magazines, newspaper subscriptions, and other BS, so I think I'm alright.
  • edited July 2008
    Jesus, how much do you people spend on comics every month?
    What I listed comes out to about $140 after shipping. Without the awesome discount it would be $228. $140 is a little high, but it's a big month. Usually I spend closer to $100. Many people spend more than that on Cable TV, magazines, newspaper subscriptions, and other BS, so I think I'm alright.
    I used to buy a few comics every week, but not like you guys seem to be doing. I find that I can usually satisfy a lot of my comic cravings with the stuff at the library and from what news I can find on the internet. Does space ever get to be a problem? Do you ever try to sell anything back?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Many people spend more than that on Cable TV, magazines, newspaper subscriptions, and other BS, so I think I'm alright.
    Exactly. It's all about how you manage your money (for entertainment). If you really want to prove your point, you could also point out how most people spend that much money on smokes and mind-altering drugs. *Sigh* 'Tis a geeks life xD
  • TRIGUN MAXIMUM TP VOL 13 DOUBLE DUEL (C: 0-1-2)
    Didn't you guys say this was the crazy one that doesn't make sense?
  • That's why I've limited my geekery to mostly PC Gaming. If I'm not buying Manga/Comics/Anime/Board Games all the time, I find I can budget and rationalize my spending easier. Not to mention I have tons of time to spend without having to feel bogged down by sheer amounts of entertainment that I've purchased.
  • I probably spend more than I should on comics but it comes under the part of he budget called "Things I buy that make getting through another work week bearable". Also spending money on books, comics or otherwise, never feels like that much of a waste. I can lend them to people to read, I have them to read at a later point, and my kid can read them when he grows up. Whilst libraries exist and are clearly cheaper, I like having a little library of my own in my house that represents the thoughts and ideas I have consumed, it's a nice summary of my personality. Kind of like board games. I like owning them too. I could play free version online but again there is some intangible satisfaction to owning a board game.
  • $45 for the month, with shipping. I think that's pretty reasonable. I can't imagine myself spending more than $50 per month. It's just not worth it after that. I like to check out some comics, but there are plenty of other interests that compete for my money.
  • $45 for the month, with shipping. I think that's pretty reasonable. I can't imagine myself spending more than $50 per month. It's just not worth it after that. I like to check out some comics, but there are plenty of other interests that compete for my money.
    You are also a lawyer. Alas, I am but a lowly college student.
  • I used to buy a few comics every week, but not like you guys seem to be doing. I find that I can usually satisfy a lot of my comic cravings with the stuff at the library and from what news I can find on the internet. Does space ever get to be a problem? Do you ever try to sell anything back?
    Space is a problem, but only because the IVAR shelves are out of stock at IKEA, so I can't expand. Most of the comics I am buying will never be at the library, and some of them will never even be on Amazon. There's also the time savings issue. I don't have time to go to the library. If I have a book I do not plan to read ever again, I get rid of by selling it, giving it away, or trading it. I could get more money back by eBaying, but it's also too much work.
    Didn't you guys say this was the crazy one that doesn't make sense?
    Yes, but it's also the final volume.
  • I probably spend more than I should on comics but it comes under the part of he budget called "Things I buy that make getting through another work week bearable".
    This was what I thought as well when I was buying a lot of comics. They really made me happy. The only problem is the space issue. That and, since I stopped buying comics, they've had House of M, Civil War, the new Crisis, 52, and yet another Crisis. It's gotten to the point that I just don't care as much about those characters. I know that there are other books out there, but I don't want to be drawn in again yet as space is definitely an issue for us right now. I might start getting interested again once we're in a larger space.
    I don't have time to go to the library. If I have a book I do not plan to read ever again, I get rid of by selling it, giving it away, or trading it. I could get more money back by eBaying, but it's also too much work.
    Between work and the commute, I'm away from home seventy (70) hours a week. However, I've found that my local library has . . . a website. I can search for books on the website and reserve them. If the library doesn't have a particular book, I can usually get it through interlibrary loan (also online). I get an email when the book is available at the check out desk. It's a matter of minutes to then go to the library and pick it up at the check out desk.
  • edited July 2008
    Between work and the commute, I'm away from home seventy (70) hours a week. However, I've found that my local library has . . . a website. I can search for books on the website and reserve them. If the library doesn't have a particular book, I can usually get it through interlibrary loan (also online). I get an email when the book is available at the check out desk. It's a matter of minutes to then go to the library and pick it up at the check out desk.
    Sure, if you want to read Watchmen, every library has it. If you want to read a hot manga like Naruto, most libraries have it, even if there's a wait list. Show me the library that actually stocks the Vertical Tezuka books, Robot or Apple anthologies, Atomic Robo, any of Jason's work, Skyscrapers of the MidWest, etc. The reason I spend so much on comics, but not so much on any other medium, is because there is an incredibly large amount of extremely high quality work that is being made available only in a very limited fashion. It's the same reason I buy the indie RPGs. Most other things, like video games or movies are very much above ground and easy to get. The comics are still relatively underground, and you either have to pay a lot of time or money to dig them up.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Sure, if you want to read Watchmen, every library has it. If you want to read a hot manga like Naruto, most libraries have it, even if there's a wait list. Show me the library that actually stocks the Vertical Tezuka books, Robot or Apple anthologies, Atomic Robo, any of Jason's work, Skyscrapers of the MidWest, etc.
    My library does not have Watchmen. It only within the past year started to get manga. The manga it does get is all Naruto and Bleach shit. I don't even waste my time trying.
  • Sure, if you want to read Watchmen, every library has it. If you want to read a hot manga like Naruto, most libraries have it, even if there's a wait list. Show me the library that actually stocks the Vertical Tezuka books, Robot or Apple anthologies, Atomic Robo, any of Jason's work, Skyscrapers of the MidWest, etc.
    My library does not have Watchmen. It only within the past year started to get manga. The manga it does get is all Naruto and Bleach shit. I don't even waste my time trying.
    Interlibrary Loan. When I was growing up, my local library had a very, very small collection. However, I could get just about anything I could imagine through interlibrary loan because even if my library didn't have something, some other library would likely have it. It might take a while sometimes, but it's often better than shelling out your own money.
  • Space is a problem, but only because the IVAR shelves are out of stock at IKEA, so I can't expand
    Why the IVAR? It's like, what, $80? You can go to target and get decent shelving for half that, tops.
  • Why the IVAR? It's like, what, $80? You can go to target and get decent shelving for half that, tops.
    I already have the IVAR. I need more shelves for my existing unit.

Also, book shelves, like from Target, are not adjustable. Having many shelves with adjustable sizes means the most efficient use of space.
  • Space is a problem, but only because the IVAR shelves are out of stock at IKEA, so I can't expand
    Why the IVAR? It's like, what, $80? You can go to target and get decent shelving for half that, tops.
    Target shelves are crap, especially if you ever have to move.
  • Because I also buy the odd indie comic book, there is a certain appeal to knowing that I own a story that no more than a few hundred people will read. None of the book in this months order will probably be that rare simply because a lot of them are more mainstream but looking at the sales numbers for some of these series it is still a nice little select group to feel part of.

In terms of space I still have plenty because I haven't been into comics for long enough. When I start to run out I will slowly give away series that don't need to be kept forever until I am left with a shelf of perfectly awesome comics and books. Hopefully by then someone will have made an affordable reader without inane DRM holding it back. From a purely aesthetic point of view a full bookshelf does look very pretty.
  • Hopefully by then someone will have made an affordable reader without inane DRM holding it back.
    Maybe it's just me, but I much prefer to read something like a comic, in hard form. I have minor grievances reading comics or books digitally.
  • Yeah I prefer the hard form but if the digital stuff is the way it goes and the reader is really good then I think I'll be able to adjust. From a purely practical point of view it'll be too good to pass up on the ability to store so much stuff in the space of a memory stick. Currently reading on a monitor is not a good enough reading solution for me though so I'd have to try a reader before I could go away from the old reliable physical form.
  • edited July 2008
    Nevermind. Forget this post.
    Post edited by Zeehat on