This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hulu has been great lately (if you don't live in a second-rate country)

edited July 2008 in Movies
If you haven't been paying attention, Hulu.com's been putting out some belters lately.

Ghostbusters
The Secret of NIMH
Men In Black
Lost Highway
Raising Arizona
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Lost In Translation
Bring It On (For David Riley and his mighty cheertocracy)
ALF
Celebrity Family Feud with the casts of (in character) My Name Is Earl, The Office, and American Gladiators
Dilbert

Note: I have problems with Hulu in one respect. You have to turn off AdBlock or it will chuck 30-second blank adspots into vids.

Comments

• It's true.
  • Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States

Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

If you'd like, please leave us your email address and the region in which you live, and we will email you when our videos are available in your area.
  • Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States

Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

If you'd like, please leave us your email address and the region in which you live, and we will email you when our videos are available in your area.
    It's not my fault you live in a backwater little country like Albion.
  • Ghostbusters
    ALF
    Dilbert
    OH GOD YES.
  • It's not my fault you live in a backwater little country like England.
    Torrents for the win.
  • Everyone else (besides Omnutia) take advantage of this. If we don't use it, they'll probably pull the service and there goes our only compromise.

Remember geeks: A bad but convenient movie beats a good movie! (Not that Lost in Translation and Ghostbusters aren't good...)
  • Somebody please teach idiots like me how to make Hulu think I'm from the US.
  • edited July 2008
    Putting that much data through a proxy would be far more trouble than just using the torrent, sorry.
    The message seems to have changed; Odd.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Putting that much data through a proxy would be far more trouble than just using the torrent, sorry.
    The message seems to have changed; Odd.
    That's how I felt when I tried watching stuff off the BBC website. :)
  • There are torrents for most of the things on the BBC site too. I've often wondered why they don't just extend the license fee (£100 aprox.) world wide and let anyone have all the BBC stuff.
  • extend the license fee (£100 aprox.)
    That's, like, $100,000 american.
  • Ok, being serious now, I understand that the dollar is about half the pound but there's also the difference in the cost of various items. You can go into a bodega and get food in all five food groups for less than you can buy a coffee here (that's not in a city either). Is living really that much cheaper?
  • We can produce our own food.
    You can't.
    Welcome to life on an island.
  • You can go into a bodega and get food in all five food groups
    What food groups are you talking about? Candy, chocolate, energy drinks, blue drink, and chips?
  • edited July 2008
    I'm not going to bother belittling Neito, suffice to say England is a small island nation which feeds itself mostly on farm produce and fishing.
    @Andrew: It was a thing of the day a while ago. Also, what would you define as "blue drink"?
  • Hulu is the opposite of sucking.
    On the contrary. Being a non-US citizen , International support is crucial for something to not suck, even more so in this day and age where the entire/majority of the world is connected by big ass cables. Borders on the internet are bullshit. So yes, it still sucks if you ask me. Once other countries are able to use the service it will make an even larger leap to non-suck than before though, have to give you that.
  • What food groups are you talking about? Candy, chocolate, energy drinks, blue drink, and chips?
    You forgot the "yellow food group" and the likkah!

@Omnutia: Blue drink= soft drink that is blue-colored and tastes like blue. Extra points if it comes in a tiny plastic barrel shaped container and costs a quarter.
  • edited July 2008
    blue drink
    I want that purple stuff.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Behold, today Hulu has posted The Fifth Element.
  • We're sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States.
    Nope, it still sucks.
  • Nope, it still sucks.
    Well, it's great for us. ^_~
  • Hulu or Netflix for iPHone, I want it.
  • Can't iPhone do Flash?
    Although I guess there's the problem of the size of the player....
  • edited July 2008
    I'm honored by the title change, I'll just go watch BBC iPlayer with it's complete catalog of quality programming of the last seven days.

Overall I view this as a good move but, big media business, being what it is, how long is it going to be this good in your opinion?

Afterthought: Purple drink, win.
  • Can't iPhone do Flash?
    The iPhone has no flash. Steve Jobs is serious about not letting there be Flash on the iPhone.
  • Can't iPhone do Flash?
    The iPhone has no flash. Steve Jobs is serious about not letting there be Flash on the iPhone.
    No youtube? I don't think I want an iPhone anymore... (not that I ever did, it's too damn expensive for my taste)
  • Aren't you meant to keep that kind of thing for looking at on wifi?
  • Can't iPhone do Flash?
    No youtube? I don't think I want an iPhone anymore... (not that I ever did, it's too damn expensive for my taste)
    I think there is an extra youTube app.
  • I think there is an extra youTube app.
    This is true. There is a separate YouTube application. It doesn't work with flash, though. It works by some other magic. In other words, YouTube works, Kongregate doesn't.
  • edited July 2008
    Steve Jobs is serious about not letting there be Flash on the iPhone.
    Do you know why this is? That would open up the iPhone's capabilities a lot if they did allow it.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on