This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott's Box - Beta #2

edited July 2008 in Manga/Comics
Here it is. It still sucks, but it is significantly better than the last one. Expect improvements to continue at a gradual rate. Also, in figuring out all this video stuff, I'm starting to get some ideas. Watch out.
GfyGzeQsBfg

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Wow. That was indeed a lot better. Even though you see less of you, Scott, I really did enjoy all the information of each comic you gave along with seeing the cover as well as pages from the comic. I've seen Robot on the shelves and was extremely put off by it because it looked, well you know what it looked like, however I think I'll give it a try.

My boyfriend picked up Y the Last Man today, so I'll probably be reading that very soon.

Keep up the great work!

Edit: The music was pretty interesting as well, and I envy your comic collection. /drool
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited July 2008
    Well I'm convinced to get Robot. I thought it was an artbook since it was always on the artbook shelf. :P

That music. It doesn't really fit. It's very Storytime with Mr. Scott. Doesn't really fit. I loved how you panned over your collection in the OP though. I really like the fact that now we can see the covers and art in of the comics and the voiceover sounds great. There's much less you in it though but you look more vibrant in those parts. The only other thing is that the you part could look a bit better but overall beta 2 is a level up! *victory sign*

...I'd buy something just because it says BloodBowl too. :P

Also, Killing Girl is a major want.
    I envy your comic collection. /drool
    Me and you both. *plans to hijack somehow*
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited July 2008
    seethe
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2008
    Stuff I liked:
    Oh snap, Scott's looking at the camera.
    I'm liking the voiceover with the screenshots. Very nice.

Stuff I didn't like:
    Opening and ending music is pretty lame. Doesn't really fit.
    The sound quality from when you're on camera to when you're just doing a voice-over is insanely different. Then again, you're only on camera for like 5 seconds, tops...so it's not THAT big of a deal.

Random crap:
    3 mins in. Donald Duck/Scrooge Duck thing was badass.
    Also, EPIC zoom in on that duck during the "korean robot" section.

This is 100x better than the first ep. Great job. Looking forward to the 3rd video.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • seethe
    ???
  • It's just like you to seethe, isn't it?
    Of course, you seem to have changed it to "see the" now.
  • jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Scott in a polo shirt before... curiouser and curiouser! Agree about the music and epic pan-shot of an impressive collection. Comic views plus voiceover is very useful.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited July 2008
    My only gripes for this episode are:

1) I think the camera is a little too close-up to you. You don't have to move it back much, though. Just enough so that the bottom of the frame is a little bit above your elbows.

2) You might want to try using a microphone during the parts where you're on camera, because the difference in quality between the echo-y, softer on-camera audio and the crisp, clear voiceover audio is incredibly jarring.

Other than those small issues, I think this was a big improvement over Beta #1. I didn't watch the whole video, as I wasn't really interested in seeing the whole thing. The presentation of the each comic that I did see, however, was short, sweet, and relevant, both visuals-wise and description-wise. Well done, Scott!
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited July 2008
    I also think it's a whole lot better than the first and I agree with Eryn that you should use a mic since it's a weird voice transition between the parts where you are on camera and when you are not. The way you showed off the individual comics was pretty much spot on. And thanks to you I remembered that I wanted to order the Penny Arcade books and MPD Psycho a long time ago and now I got the time and money.

However, I did think that the opening music was somewhat not fitting the video.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • RymRym
    edited July 2008
    We'll either have to do ADR (annoying and time-consuming), buy a shotgun mic (expensive), buy a good lavalier (even more expensive), or build a soundstage (expensive).

Actually, when we get a house, we'll very likely go with the last of those options.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited July 2008
    Why did you read such a short intro? If you weren't reading, why did it look like you were reading?

You were clearly reading everything else, but you did a fair job of it. Some things were disturbingly scripted, but overall the scripting improved the content. You also need a way to introduce a comic besides saying: "This is..." That became incredibly repetitive.

I'd also like to see a short segment at the end about hot titles that you are pre-ordering for this month.

Other than that, the video was 100% better. Nice job!
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited July 2008
    As stated earlier, change the music as it really did not fit and for some reason creeped me out.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Woaaaaaaw. That was so awesome Scott. I agree with all above that the music doesn't fit, but there's music now, it makes it more appealing and professional looking. Also, book/comic collection opener is awesome. Yes, there's a stark contrast between voice over and Scott on camera audio quality, hopefully you can find a (costless) solution to even those out.

The content was awesome, just awesome.
  • Things will only get better. Remember: everything Scott's putting out currently is largely just to hone is camera and editing skills. Just wait'll we start in with our larger projects. ^_~
  • Yeah dude, this is awesome and a big improvement on the first one. Any bad points have already been said, but i'm sure you already had thought of those.
  • Is it not possible to hook one of the GeekNights microphones into the camera? It might look news reporter-ish, but that's what I had in mind as the non-expensive audio solution, if it's possible. If not, then yeah, I guess you'll have to deal with what you've got.
  • Is it not possible to hook one of the GeekNights microphones into the camera?
    The problem is the acoustics of the room. GeekNights sounds the way it does due to close mic-ing: echoes are removed by the downward expander and the relatively low gain coupled with the directionality of the mics. The further away the microphone is, the more echo and noise it will catch. Without setting up an acoustic stage or using a specialized microphone, we can't get that same level of quality.

Worse, even then, it wouldn't sound the way GeekNights does. Cardiod mics (which we use) color the sound more and more the closer you get to them. We could never sound a full and rich as we do on the show from a distance.
  • Good Job Scott! That was a dramatic improvement over last time. Looking good.
  • Nice work, Scott! You seem a little stiff in front of the camera, but you'll loosen up with practice and time, I'm sure.
  • Your radio personality is not translating well to video, try to relax a bit more, it looks like you are talking to the glass, not the people behind it, and also look a bit stiff.

Good job still, It'll only get better for sure, just keep at it. I actually added some of those to my amazon wish list.
  • That was way better.
  • Scott should blink more often.
  • edited July 2008
    Scott, I'm curious as to how long it took to do that episode of Scott's Box?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Scott, i'm curious into how long it took to do that episode of Scotts Box?
    Scanning took a night. Recording the audio took an hour or so. Editing took a few nights. It will take much less time the next time I do it.
  • It shows that you put in a more time into this one than the last one. Great work.
  • edited July 2008
    Is it just me, or does this not need to be in video format? This might do better in a blog or within the context of the audio-podcast. Yes, this gives you some of the artwork, but that could be achieved with still pictures within the blog text.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Is it just me, or does this not need to be in video format? This might do better in a blog or within the context of the audio-podcast. Yes, this gives you some of the artwork, but that could be achieved with still pictures within the blog text.
    It's true, but videos are where it is at nowadays. If you want to get big on teh Internets, you need videos on the YouTubes.
  • Is it just me, or does this not need to be in video format? This might do better in a blog or within the context of the audio-podcast. Yes, this gives you some of the artwork, but that could be achieved with still pictures within the blog text.
    It's true, but videos are where it is at nowadays. If you want to get big on teh Internets, you need videos on the YouTubes.
    Isn't there another topic that might better lend itself to video? Particularly since most of the "video" is just still or panning shots of scanned in graphics?
  • Well, I had some suggestions, such a Geeknights Puppet Theater or a nature documentary on the "habitat of the wild rym" with Scott as the filmmaker, but the guys would rather do stuff about car headlights and comics.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, I had some suggestions, such a Geeknights Puppet Theater or a nature documentary on the "habitat of the wild rym" with Scott as the filmmaker, but the guys would rather do stuff about car headlights and comics.
    That is a bit of a pity... it is odd to me that they wouldn't take advice on making films and videos from someone that actually knows how to make them.

EDIT: I think expanding on their "How To..." podcasts with video might be a better and more useful option than the comic review.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on