This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• Son of Mourning is my friend's band. They have a new vocalist (not featured on the website) that has more growling vocals (no so much screaming vocals) and they are pulling in some local talent to find a new bassist, but they are playing shows. I recommend that y'all check 'em out when you have a second.
  • Son of Mourningis my friend's band. They have a new vocalist (not featured on the website) that has more growling vocals (no so much screaming vocals) and they are pulling in some local talent to find a new bassist, but they are playing shows. I recommend that y'all check 'em out when you have a second.
    This.

They're very good, and no, I'm not just saying that because I know them. Seriously, they're pretty talented guys.
  • edited July 2008
    awesome video of Dragonforce trying to play Dragonforce:
    That's pretty fail, especially since it isn't real.
    No, but it's damn funny...especially since this video sounds only slightly better...and this video IS real:

Just listen to the solo...and just about any parts that are supposed to be fast....*shudder*. And no, I don't care that they're drinking in that video. Yes it makes them play shittier, but hey, guess what, how 'bout not drinking before playing, then? Oh, also, Hendrix played while high, a lot...and...well..actually I have no idea how he sounded live.

And before this devolves into the typical "well, DKong, what DO you like, then?". Lemme answer that now: Classic rock, Techno (just about any form), Jrock, and some (but really not much) Metal....and then other crap here and there.

With metal, I find that it's either absolutely ridiculous (See: Dragonforce and Rhapsody [of Fire]) or really creepy (Behemoth). Yes, there is stuff that isn't that creepy or ridiculous, and that tends to be the stuff I like. Also, there's also bands that can't scream if their life depended on it. That Son of Mourning is actually really good.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Everyone knows they're bad live. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy their studio recordings.
  • So, who else absolutely loves Dream Theater?

SDOIT, ACOS, and pretty much everything I just recently fell in love with.

I used to be really into them, but then all of their stuff just started to sound the same to me.
  • edited July 2008
    Guaranteed alcohol poisoning:

Play that drinking game, but use an Andrew W.K. album. Drink every time you hear the word "party".
    You would die if you did that drinking water. You would need to set up a table of shot glasses too, you can't pour and drink that fast.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Guaranteed alcohol poisoning:

Play that drinking game, but use an Andrew W.K. album. Drink every time you hear the word "party".
    You would die if you did that drinking water. You would need to set up a table of shot glasses too, you can't pour and drink that fast.
    Lol, "party" comes up ~45 times in "Party Hard". Definitely would die of alcohol poisoning...

I been a big fan of DT for a long time, I seen them live just about every time they come near my area.

The first two albums are the best, followed by SFAM and then SDOIT.

I used to be really into them, but then all of their stuff just started to sound the same to me.
    Listen to Hollow Years, then listen to Honor Thy Father, does it sound the same?
  • I hate most black metal, so I don't make a lot of reccomendations on it.
    So I'm (slightly) reversing my stance on (a few) black metal bands.

I've determined that Emperor's last two albums are very worth checking out. Also, there is a black metal band called Dark Fortress that is very worth checking out. Agathodaimon is also pretty good.

But the rest of black metal still sucks. Especially Immortal.
  • What about Dimmu Borgir? It means "dark fortresses" in Old Norse. XD
  • What about Dimmu Borgir? It means "dark fortresses" in Old Norse. XD
    Yeah, Dimmu Borgir is OK too. But they're a much more mainstream version anyhow. Satyricon's most recent effort is also decent, but it's definitely a departure from most black metal.
  • edited July 2008
    what is it that you dislike about most black metal?

What do you think about Brain Drill?
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Whats more metal than a Santa Claus looking 62 year old lead singer for a metal band? The fact that he's a monk.
  • That is so cool.
  • He is my hero. XD
  • what is it that you dislike about most black metal?

What do you think about Brain Drill?
    Most of it is way too abrasive and harsh for me. I understand that it's supposed to be that way, but I don't really like it. I prefer "blackened" music to actual black metal.

The black metal bands that I do like are symphonic (Dimmu), melodic (Dark Fortress, Agathodaimon), or weird/experimental (Emperor). If the black metal isn't cut with something else to mellow out the harshness, it just winds up being too much.
  • Emperor
    I've heard good things about this band. What's a good album to start off on?
  • Emperor
    I've heard good things about this band. What's a good album to start off on?
    Well, it depends on what you're after. Their first album In the Nightside Eclipse is considered one of the best black metal albums ever made; personally, I'm not such a fan of it. If you want awesome black metal, check it out.

Their last two albums are IX Equilibrium and Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise; these two albums have a lot more progressive and quasi-experimental leanings in them. They're my two favorite by far, and I think they're the ones you'd probably like the most. Prometheus is particularly awesome.

If you wind up liking them, check out Ihsahn's solo work and his side projects.
  • The two latest albums are pretty good for starters
  • Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise
    Downloading. Also, I just picked up Leviathan and Remission by Mastodon. Both are awesome.
  • Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise
    Downloading. Also, I just picked upLeviathanandRemissionby Mastodon. Both are awesome.
    Get Blood Mountain as well. Exceptional.
  • edited July 2008
    Boris is pretty cool.
    Wait, I don't get it. I waited a half-an-hour for Absolutego to go into something that I'd consider a "song". I mean, once I got there it was pretty cool, but a half hour of noise?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited July 2008
    Finally!

I'll seed for a while.

Edit: This is without a doubt, one of the, if not the best album ever made by Dragonforce.
  • Wait, I don't get it. I waited a half-an-hour for Absolutego to go into something that I'd consider a "song". I mean, once I got there it was pretty cool, but a half hour of noise?
    Ooh, I don't have that album, but that sounds like something I'd like. I only have Pink.
  • edited July 2008
    Wait, I don't get it. I waited a half-an-hour for Absolutego to go into something that I'd consider a "song". I mean, once I got there it was pretty cool, but a half hour of noise?
    Ooh, I don't have that album, but that sounds like something I'd like. I only have Pink.
    Well, drone music is meant to be background music in my opinion. It's how I listen to it, with the exception of select songs.
  • I love Black Metal. Bathory, DB, Emperor, Immortal, Vried, and Gorgoroth are all awesome.
  • edited July 2008
    Gorgoroth is amazing, but I dislike the gaalh/infernus problem it's going through rights now, pretty stupid if you ask me.
  • Gorgoroth is amazing, but I dislike the gaalh/infernus problem it's going through rights now, pretty stupid if you ask me.
    Agreed.
  • edited July 2008

I'm just posting this video because this song has been on constant replay on my iPod for some reason. Breakdown from 2:40 on is fucking gold.
    Post edited by Andrew on