This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cowboy Bebop... Live-Action?

edited July 2008 in Anime
No proof until production (especially when an article contains a phrase like "the project is 'in the really early stages' since the parties 'just signed it the other day.'"), but this is an interesting piece of news from ANN today:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-22/live-action-cowboy-bebop-film-in-development-at-fox

I think Cowboy Bebop would make a great live-action film, with a look in the vein of something like Firefly/Serenity. The question, though, is not, "Would Bebop make a good film?" It's "Who the hell can actually make sure that it's a good film?"

Comments

• YES! HELLS YES! (provided its done right.)
  • Agreed.

I've toyed with writing a live-action Cowboy Bebop trilogy--trilogies are all the rage after all. Never nailed down whose back story I would end up leaving out, as I didn't want to have the first film focus on back story at all. Jet was always a prime contender, considering his was out of the way of the others... You could potentially condense Faye's and Ed's into one movie since they both take place on Earth.

Eh, just a little bit of pondering on something that never actually happened.
  • I already know that I will have issues with Spike's voice. Unless of course they cast the English voice actor to fill that role...
  • No proof until production.

Plus, I'm sorry but I think the final product will anger me.
  • As much as I'd like to see a Cowboy Bebop live action movie, I don't think that it's possible for it to be done right.
  • I just don't know who they would cast as Spike, you would need some one who's voice is as awesome as his voice actor. The only person I can think of who has a voice as awesome is Patrick Warburton, but unfortunately he is a bit too big to play Spike. I bet he could play Jet, though.
  • If they did it like Firefly, it could be really good. As attached as I am to the original, I think it is one of the few anime shows that would make a good Hollywood adaptation. They'd need to keep the humor as well as the action for it to work, and make sure they don't go all bombastic with the pacing and mood. However, unlike Akira and some of the other shows that American production companies have recently optioned, I think it would lend itself well to the live action treatment.
  • What I hate is the trend of turning things into movies. Imagine it redone live action for HBO as a series. A bit off topic, but I've been wishing for like a year now for someone to option Fables (the Vertigo comic) as a series for HBO or Showtime. It would be phenomenal.
  • Totally! Fables would be excellent!
  • If they go through with the movie, I'm only worried about the music. Kanno has to be on the team.
  • Kanno has to be on the team.
    And The Seatbelts.

I am very skeptic on this whole thing. If it will come to fruition and seeing all the players involved, I will make a more informed opinion.
  • I am always perplexed when animated shows are turned into live action shows or movies, particularly when the animated show was as wonderful as Cowboy Bebop. I have never seen a live action show that improved upon its animated source. At best they leave me with a feeling of déjà vu and at worst they seem like hollow copies of something I enjoyed. I can understand when you are moving from one medium to a drastically different medium (i.e. book/graphic novel to animation), but to switch from animation to live action just seems to close to me (the whole moving 2D images and all).
  • Well, people who wouldn't usually watch the show will watch it.
  • Well, people who wouldn't usually watch the show will watch it.
    Really? I don't think that is the case in the States, maybe Japan...
  • Seeing as Fox is involved, I have very low expectations. As of late, they haven't been up to snuff.
  • Seeing as Fox is involved, I have very low expectations. As of late, they haven't been up to snuff.
    As of late?
    As of late?
    I'll rephrase that: I believe the studio heads at Fox are high on something. What, I don't know.
    As of late?
    I'll rephrase that: I believe the studio heads at Fox are high on something. What, I don't know.
    The disgusting fumes of reality TV.
    As of late?
    The disgusting fumes of reality TV.
    Survivor's a helluva drug.
  • This won't end well.
  • No proof until production.
  • I will gladly pony up my 7 dollars to watch the live action Cowboy Bebop. Fox studios would have to fuck up a lot on the project to not make me want to go see the film.
  • I will gladly pony up my 7 dollars to watch the live action Cowboy Bebop.
    7 dollars?! Christ, where in gods unholy name do you live? I pay 11 in Queens, NY. Go to the city and its like 14.
  • 7 dollars
    Only 7?! Where do you LIVE?! (Lucky for movie watching.)
  • edited July 2008
    It's 8-9 here! WTF, 7 dollar man!

10.50 if you go somewhere nice.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Back at RIT Rym and I went to the dollar movie theater to see the PowerPuff Girls movie. It was a Wednesday matinee. It cost 50 cents. I'm not kidding.
  • Back at RIT Rym and I went to the dollar movie theater to see the PowerPuff Girls movie. It was a Wednesday matinee. It cost 50 cents. I'm not kidding.
    Yeah, I would go there in high school and college during the summers. 50 cents for air conditioning, and empty theatre, and ridiculously bad movies (like Jason X - which I saw with two friends at least 5 times). We would joke, dance, and run around the theatre when no one else was there.
  • There was a 4 dollar theater in Corona, Queens . . . and it closed down way back in '98. That kind of shit just doesn't work out here, I guess.
  • While I will inevitably see it, I am afraid that even if the movie is good, it will end up being like many of the non-superhero comic movies. While they were good, whenever you ask someone about 300 or V for Vendetta, they always assume you are talking about he movie because they don't know that it was a comic. That even has happened to me with movies based on books. Whenever I ask someone about Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, they always think I am talking about he movie. I am just as afraid of people's ignorance to the original version as I am to them screwing up the new one. I think that it would probably just be better if they made a Japanese movie that was highly involved with the original creators. They better at least have Yoko Kanno do the score. The only other thing I can say is
    No proof until production.
  • I am just as afraid of people's ignorance to the original version as I am to them screwing up the new one.
    It's not as if those people would have magically known about the comic/novel/whatever if the movie had never come out at all. If anything, the movie will drive at least some people who otherwise wouldn't have to read the original works.