This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080724 - Dinner Demise

edited July 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the demise of dinner. In the news, the spam king escapes from prison and then goes crazy.

Scott's Thing - Old Photos
Rym's Thing - Old Synthesizers

Comments

• x/(-y) == -(x/y)
    Scott, you were thinking of square roots, which do make imaginary numbers.
  • I saw Thomas Dolby live when he toured with my favorite musician BT about a year and a half ago. He does a solo show all with old synthesizers and samplers. Wicked cool! Here's an example of what he does live.
  • Re. Spam King. Um. Wow.
  • x/(-y) == -(x/y)
    Scott, you were thinking of square roots, which do make imaginary numbers.
    Oh, duh.
  • When Scott said "No-chee" was he referring to gnocchi (properly pronounced nyucky)?
  • When Scott said "No-chee" was he referring to gnocchi (properly pronounced nyucky)?
    I don't know how to pronounce it properly.
  • edited July 2008
    Two errors from Scott in one show? What is happening??!!

Time to revise the rules.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Frozen lasagna is not bad at all.
  • Frozen lasagna is not bad at all.
    True, but fresh is waaaaay better.
  • I disagree. Have you ever tried Bouquet Frozen Lasagna? Holy crap is it good.
  • I disagree. Have you ever tried Bouquet Frozen Lasagna? Holy crap is it good.
    All Boquet foods are poison. Read the label.
  • Bouquet is the worst of the frozen foods. I know. My mom bought a lot of different frozen food brands to cook as a kid. Ewww.

If we have to talk frozen lasagna then Stouffers is good but fresh lasagna beats all.
  • That's it, Stouffers. My bad.
  • The best (tasting, not health-wise) ramen I've ever had is Nissin Chow Mein. I guess it's not really ramen in the normal sense of the term, because you don't end up with soup in the end; it's more like noodles with sauce and toppings. Also, it appears to be microwave-only, unless you find instructions on how to make it with hot (boiling-ish) water. Highly recommended, assuming you don't particularly care about the health issues typically associated with ramen.

You guys (Scrym) mentioned (in passing) that Maruchan is bad ramen. What is your preferred brand?
  • You guys (Scrym) mentioned (in passing) that Maruchan is bad ramen. What is your preferred brand?
    I'm pretty sure the kinds they like are Kitsune and Sapporo Ichiban.
  • Ichiban is good ramen.
    Generally, if it's ramen in the import aisle rather than the soup aisle (at least here), then it's probably good.
  • edited July 2008
    Did I hear correctly that SR&E do not have a microwave?! Good heavens, they are $40 and worth their weight in gold. Buy a microwave and a crock pot and your eating experience will improve dramatically. Frozen vegetables for the win. They are easy to make, tasty and good for you. Throw a roast in the crockpot before you leave for the train. Microwave some vegetables when you get home and you have a darn good meal w/o much effort.
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • Did I hear correctly that SR&E; do not have a microwave?! Good heavens, they are $40 and worth their weight in gold. Buy a microwave and a crock pot and your eating experience will improve dramatically. Frozen vegetables for the win. They are easy to make, tasty and good for you. Throw a roast in the crockpot before you leave for the train. Microwave some vegetables when you get home and you have a darn good meal w/o much effort.
    I don't like microwaves. Crock pot could be good, though.
  • Well, they have new bags of vegetables that are specifically designed for perfect cooking via microwave. This is the application of science to cooking. A microwave is just another tool. You wouldn't cook a steak in it, but if a food is designed for it (using science) it is an excellent device. I suspect you don't fear stray microwaves but instead you don't like the way stuff tastes (or didn't like the way stuff tasted the one time you tried it years ago). Life changing devices are devices one uses every day. I use a microwave every day for defrosting, re-heating and cooking (good, not crappy) microwave food. For me, it is highly logical to use a microwave.
  • So what's is the beef with microwaves? So do you guys reheat food the old fashioned way. It's much more convenient to reheat stuff with one. Besides, just because you own one doesn't mean you have to eat microwave crap.
  • Well, they have new bags of vegetables that are specifically designed for perfect cooking via microwave.
    Steamed vegetables are awesome yes. Everyone should try them at least once. Oh how I love my carrot pieces to be steamed *.*
  • Marie Callender frozen dinners are pretty good.
  • Marie Callender frozen dinners are pretty good.
    Except for their lasagna and chicken patty.
  • I have never had those ones. I like their herb roasted chicken, it is quite tasty.
  • The problem with microwaves is not any fear of radioactive doom. I also recognize that a microwave is incredibly convenient for re-heating as opposed to say, our toaster/oven. It's simply that the way food comes out of the microwave is disgusting. If I reheat something in the toaster/oven, it might be less convenient, but it tastes good. Reheating in the microwave makes everything too hot, wet, and mushy. I'm not basing this on one time I used a microwave years ago. My parent's had a microwave, and we even had one in college. Nowadays I would just rather eat no food than disgusting microwave food.
  • I have never had any kind of problems with my microwaved food coming out wet and mushy, and if it's too hot you should just let it cool down for a minute or two.
  • Today's ovens aren't your parent's microwave. Plus, there have been many advances in cooking packaging that create a tasty, firm, hot food. Can you still end up with mush? Sure, if you don't know what you're doing. But that's pretty much true with everything.
  • edited July 2008
    The only thing I've ever had trouble with when it comes to the microwave is veggies and pasta, veggies become mushy and pasta dries out, making it really hard (but only the top). Things that go well in the microwave are potatoes and meat. Also they have packs of veggies which steam, making them taste as good as boiled (though most veggies are steamed inside your pan anyway).

This is coming from a guy who has too eat microwave 4x a week (at work).

Edit: SPEAKING OF STEAMING, they sell steam ovens, which warms stuff with steam instead of radiation. We're getting one in our new kitchen to replace our microwave. everything is heated equally and no mushiness occurs.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • Today's ovens aren't your parent's microwave. Plus, there have been many advances in cooking packaging that create a tasty, firm, hot food. Can you still end up with mush? Sure, if you don't know what you're doing. But that's pretty much true with everything.
    I was using microwaves and getting mush not three years ago. You are saying there have been significant advances in that time?
  • On the packaging side, yes. You can buy steamer bag vegetables that are quite awesome.