This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Advent Children

edited July 2007 in Anime
Not sure if it really counts as anime, but oh well. I personally enjoyed it, although it's not a great movie by any means. It is really pretty and the story lacked substance in my opinion, anyways what did you guys think of the movie?

Comments

• Its a fairly decent action flick. It even managed to win me over a bit from my initial baseline annoyance at the overhyped nature of anything FF7.

But oh man, that dub is bad. "Dilly dally silly shally"? WTF? You definately want to watch this one subtitled.
  • I watched it with subs when it was only out in Japan, but I kinda wanna watch it with the dub now to hear how bad it is.
  • Oh mans is the dub terrible. The Japanese track is really, really solid.

I liked this one a lot. :)
  • Its a fairly decent action flick. It even managed to win me over a bit from my initial baseline annoyance at the overhyped nature of anything FF7.

But oh man, that dub is bad. "Dilly dally silly shally"? WTF? You definately want to watch this one subtitled.
    I was never with the whole FF7 craze and I watched it on a whim because I told my boyfriend, who is a Cloud/FF7 fanboy, demanded we watched it. Yeah we watched the dub. I totally agree with the "dilly dally" crap. At first I did a double take and then thought "oh wtf is this horseshit?!". I really didn't care for the dubbing either, and have yet to watch it subtitled. The animation was pretty, however the storyline didn't really do anything for me. As some would say, this was basically for fan service. I would agree with this. During the end when you see a certain main character get shot, I was laughed "Hahaha awesome!". My boyfriend got so mad when I said that.

Meh. I might give it another shot down the road.
  • edited July 2007
    Advent Children is best watched subbed, even if it's with the sucky Korean subs from before it was released over here.

"What the hell is your desire?"

"Like I'd ever tell the likes of you!"

Just watch the show and ignore the words once you've gotten the enjoyment out of the story.

Advent Children is a very, very, COOL movie. NOT a GOOD movie. It's like Ghost Rider in that way. If you want to watch neat stuff happen, like buildings getting chopped in half or Bahamut get pwned or cool sword fighting or even awesome motorcycle chases/fights, watch Advent Children. If you want action AND depth, try Watchmen or a myriad of other titles.
    Post edited by Rooster on
  • Advent Children is a very, very, COOL movie. NOT a GOOD movie. It's like Ghost Rider in that way. If you want to watch neat stuff happen, like buildings getting chopped in half or Bahamut get pwned or cool sword fighting or even awesome motorcycle chases/fights, watch Advent Children. If you want action AND depth, try Watchmen or a myriad of other titles.
    Exactly my opinion. It's eye candy, not brain candy.
  • AC was fan candy, nothing more. The action showed promise, but failed spectacularly as shown by the ridiculous Bahamut fight.

I'd put it under the same category as Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. Watch it once for the pretty action and never watch it again.
  • Oh, man I watched this one on subtitles and I was amazed of how it looked and I decided to buy the american releaze. I will say that I felt asleep within the first 10 minutes and I realizes I have being watching cut-scenes from a video game :( , Crap there was no goos story and the character development was crap. I mean everything that the entire FF VII group went during the game was basically destroyed by this movie.
    I want to thank Daryl Surat for opening my eyes and lead me to a way better anime that is "Giant Robo" and the awesome magic that Yatsuhiro Imagawa creates :D
    To anyone that likes this movie "GO WATCH GIANT ROBO IT IS AT LEAST 100 TIMES BETTER THAN AC"
  • edited July 2008
    AC was fan candy, nothing more. The action showed promise, but failed spectacularly as shown by the ridiculous Bahamut fight.
    By the same token, FF7 itself failed with the ridiculous Knights of the Round summon. The Bahamut fight is no more ridiculous than when Priest and Bard characters both use songs and spells to buff up a single Fighter character to take out a tough enemy, which is what they were trying to do, IMHO.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I personally didn't much like the movie, even as just a dumb action movie, it just didn't do anything for me.
  • Mediocre sums it up.
  • Final Fantasy VII was the first game I ever played on Playstation, way back when. I'd seen the game reviewed/advertised on Toonami back when Moltar was the host and it seemed really exciting. This is what turned me on to RPGs.

Final Fantasy: Advent Children was a movie that made me feel very nostalgic and I enjoyed it a lot. I don't think people who didn't play the game would be as into it as those who did. It was a movie created for the fans as a, what if Final Fantasy VII had been as pretty as Final Fantasy X, filled with little inside jokes from the game as well. Nothing more but for what it was it was great.
  • At least this better than The Spirits Within. Worst 8 bucks I ever spent.
  • This might be a stupid question, but is there anywhere I could get like a Cliff's Notes version of FFVII? Maybe read the backstory and watch the cutscenes, so I don't have to play through that game? Because I'd like to see what all the business is about, but I don't really want to play it.
  • At least this better than The Spirits Within. Worst 8 bucks I ever spent.
    This movie would have been better if it didn't have the Final Fantasy name tacked onto it.
  • This might be a stupid question, but is there anywhere I could get like a Cliff's Notes version of FFVII? Maybe read the backstory and watch the cutscenes, so I don't have to play through that game? Because I'd like to see what all the business is about, but I don't really want to play it.
    You tube? Fansites? Google?
  • Is is just me, or was Bahamut's design in this movie horrible?
    Quick Wikipedia Summary

I'm pretty sure every cutscene is available on Youtube.
  • edited July 2008
    You tube? Fansites? Google?
    I'm pretty sure every cutscene is available on Youtube.
    Yeah...I figured it was probably a stupid question, and that that kind of stuff was available. I was just wondering if anyone had put it together into some kind of tidy package that would require minimal effort on my part. But, now that I think about it, why would anyone do that?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • While FF7 wasn't my favorite RPG, I still liked it a lot. However, Advent Children and all the other sequels that came after it were pretty much shit. The character design, personalities, story line, and plot were the worst adaption from an original sires that I have ever seen. The only thing that was worth anything was the CG, but personally I thought the Spirits Within movie looked better anyway. As far as the other game/anime sequels are concerned- while they were "okay" (for lack of a batter word) they still took the character designs from AC. Also, If that wasn't bad enough, they changed the story around so many times from game to game that nothing is consistent or makes sense anymore. Square Enix basically took one of their biggest successes and milked it to the point where it's now a huge steaming pile of fail. I will always like the original game but I wouldn't spend a cent on any of the other crap.
  • Shouldn't be treated as anything other than eye candy. Plain and simple.