This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scrym's D&D alignment? (pre 4th-ed.)

jccjcc
edited July 2008 in Everything Else
Based on their opinions and podcast behavior, what do you think Scrym's alignments are by D&D standards? (Pre-4th edition. No Lawful Evil? Please.)

Comments

• NG(N)
  • NG(N)
    Neutral Good and what does that N in parenthesis mean?
  • what does that N in parenthesis mean?
    Neutral tendencies.

For example, LN(E) means Lawful Neutral with Evil Tendencies.
  • NG(N)
    That was my alignment, a source of much chagrin to the CG(G) party leader. Plus I broke D&D; when I didn't want to fight, he would have left me behind, but the mage was with me.
  • edited July 2008
    Alignments are dumb. In my experience, they're either used to limit roleplaying ("A NG character would never do that!) or justify being a jackass ("But my character is chaotic neutral!").

The only thing they really enable is for a group of players to not feel bad about their characters doing horrible things to NPCs ("We checked with magic, and he was objectively Evil. So, we totally murdered him and took his stuff.").
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • LE(N) Scott
    CG(N) Brandon
  • I'd say Rym is CG and Scott is CN.

I'm more of a NE(C) myself.
  • jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    For clarification's sake, a helpful website (with sources!) on D&D's definition of alignments.

Lawful Good
    Lawful Neutral
    Lawful Evil

Neutral Good
    True Neutral
    Neutral Evil

Chaotic Good
    Chaotic Neutral
    Chaotic Evil

Personally, I think Scott is Lawful Neutral, possibly LN(G) or LN(E). Definitely Lawful. Not sure about Rym just yet. One challenging thing is that you have to take into account the charisma modifier. Rym has charisma, and Scott does not. Since a person with high charisma will tend to be received favorably by others, while one with low charisma will not, the trend will be to give Rym more Good characteristics (or to lessen the impact of his evil ones), while doing the opposite for Scott, mostly because the general consensus is that Good is more favorable than Evil. Not sure what effect if any it would have on Law vs. Chaos perception.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Both of them are True Neutral.
    No way. Maybe they like to give off that appearance at times, but no - they are not.
  • edited July 2008
    I always thought they were the Asshole alignment, myself.

EDIT: NG(Asshole), maybe.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • No way. Maybe they like to give off that appearance at times, but no - they are not.
    How not? Evil is simply defined as either malicious OR self-interested in D&D;, while good simply implies altruism. I'd say we have a solid balance between self-interest and altruistic behavior.

As for law and chaos, I'm personally extremely logical, yet I bristle unconditionally at authority and tend to leave things to chance. Again, a solid balance.
  • Paladium has a better alignment system.
    How so? I didn't see much difference, other than the absence of a true neutral.
    Burning Wheel has a better alignment system, none at all.
    Burning Wheel has a better alignment system, none at all.
    Fine, then what are Scrym's Traits, Beliefs, and Instincts.
    No way. Maybe they like to give off that appearance at times, but no - they are not.
    Rym will use Persuasion to convince people that his idea is the best.
    Scott will use Ugly Truth is sap the fun out of something until no one wants to touch it anymore.

That's why they come off as Good/Evil. Rym gets people on his side of the fence. Scott makes people hate the fence until we kick it down and go back inside to look at the internets.
  • Rym will use Persuasion to convince people that his idea is the best.
    Scott will use Ugly Truth is sap the fun out of something until no one wants to touch it anymore.
    That's why they come off as Good/Evil. Rym gets people on his side of the fence. Scott makes people hate the fence until we kick it down and go back inside to look at the internets.
    You know, that is so spot on it isn't even funny. A very apt observation. Scott and Rym sometimes fight about it.

Scott: You manipulate people! I only tell them the truth!
  • Oho! Could Scott be accusing Rym of having Lawful Evil tendencies? :)
  • Yes, yes it does. :) So I'll go True Neutral (Lawful Evil) for Rym, and Lawful Neutral for Scott, with a chance of LN(G) or LN(E), depending on further podcast research. Next will be figuring out classes. Being atheists, I doubt either would be a cleric, and they don't quite strike me as fighters... My first impulse would be maybe magic-users, but they don't believe in magic. Thieves, maybe? That'd work for Rym, (I could also see his as a bard) but Scott as Lawful Neutral Thief seems a tad hard to swallow. Hmmm... Monk, maybe?
  • My first impulse would be maybe magic-users, but they don't believe in magic.
    In a fantasy world, magic is real, therefore magic is science.
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    A good point. If people wanted to insert Rym & Scott NPCs into their campaign for entertainment purposes, though, it would be more fun if they could mirror your views as closely as possible. :)

Definitely a Bard for Rym. That would explain why you two get together to tell entertaining stories to the onlookers. :D

Although on second thought, a bit on the dangers of "pseudo-magic" would be pretty funny...
    Post edited by jcc on
  • A good point. If people wanted to insert Rym & Scott NPCs into their campaign for entertainment purposes, though, it would be more fun if they could mirror your views as closely as possible. :)
    You should make Burning Wheel versions then too though. Good luck.
  • A good point. If people wanted to insert Rym & Scott NPCs into their campaign for entertainment purposes, though, it would be more fun if they could mirror your views as closely as possible. :)
    You should make Burning Wheel versions then too though.
    That's all you. :)
  • That's all you. :)
    What? You're the one making Scrym character profiles. And I do not have anything Burning Wheel related, no books, no knowledge, no nothing.
  • edited August 2008
    Scott: You manipulate people! I only tell them the truth!
    It is easier to Manipulate with the truth, because any fact checking will not turn up lies.

Edit - Not suggesting anything, I should note.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    Scott as magic-user makes sense, I suppose. Let's also pop him up to Lawful Neutral (Good). Still not sure if this is an entirely accurate assessment, but it increases dramatic tension. :)

Scott the Magic-User has an admirable goal; to prove to the public at large that the miracles and priestcraft employed by clerics are simply ordinary magic masked by a bunch of mumbo jumbo designed to fool and manipulate people, and that their gods are imaginary and nothing to fear. However, realizing in his own grudging way that he does not have the Charisma needed to convince people of the truth on his own, he goes seeking the assistance of a Bard, who he hears are good at that kind of crap. :) Thus we are introduced to Rym of Coster, Bard Extraordinaire, keen for an outlet to express his own gloriousness. He is a skillful weaver of tales, but all good tales require that hard kernel of fact to work off of, and his own supply has of yet not produced the gem he has been looking for. This wizard's attack on the priesthood exhilarates him, as he is sure it is just what is needed to have the people eating out of the palm of his hand. And that is only the beginning...

Now to futz out the stats... I don't suppose anyone knows how many pounds Rym & Scott can lift above their heads in a military press? :P
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Haha, nice work jcc.