This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Japanese language and customs have you learned from watching anime?

edited August 2008 in Anime
Most of the Japanese I've learned is through anime viewings and listening to one audio language CD. I thought it might be fun, if we all shared what words and phrases we have learned by watching anime. We could learn how close or how wrong we are about the words we have picked up. I'll start off with two. I know I'm going to get the spellings wrong, but bear with me.

Yappari - I've surmised this a english equivalent to "I get it." "Oh I see."

Narahodo - This one seems to be used for the exact same thing as 'Yappari' meaning also "I get it"

To expand on this idea we could also talk about what cultural traditions and mores you all have learned from watching anime. Like I've learned that on the first day of the year a lot of Japanese go to their local shrine and pray for a good year. They also draw fortunes. If it's a bad fortune they tie the bad fortune to a tree. Is it any old tree though? So they tie the bad fortune to a tree and that's supposed to help remove the bad fortune.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Ittadakimasu - Its commonly pronounced "ittadakimas" and it's pretty much like saying grace before you eat. Some guy on the internet says it means (roughly) "Thank you to all who have helped prepare this meal."

Banzai - It literally means "May you live 1000 years but depending on the context it could either be a battle cry or a fun way of saying "Good Luck!"

Ittai - "ow", like when someone gets conked on the head.

Nani - "what"

naikaku kanbou choukan - Chief Cabinet Secretary (Yay GITS:SAC!)
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
    edited August 2008
    What Japanese language and customs have you learned from watching anime?
    Wait, Japan has multiple languages within its borders? As for the Japanese words and customs I have learned from watching fansubs:

Yume - Dream.
    Arigatou - Thank you.
    Itadakimasu - Said before/after dinner, means something like "Let's eat" or "Thanks for the meal".
    Words ending in -u (like 'desu' and 'itadakimasu') do not have said -u pronounced by the majority of speakers. Women and girls might pronounce it though.
    Baka - Idiot/stupid, a general insult.
    Golden Week, a week in the summer iirc, festival stuff and all that.
    School starts in spring from what I've gathered.

And that's all I can recall from the top of my head. Also, most of that I've learned due to translation notes and OP/ED karaokes. This thread also looks to be as stupid as I suspected it to be when I started writing this post. So what you now know a bunch of useless words like every other average anime fan, boasting about it is useless. Once all the overly exaggerated and easy words that everyone knows/recognizes, this thread is done for. A question, are you the kind of person that thinks Paul Johnson is a blasphemer and that all things Japanese are the most sacred in the world?

EDIT:
    Ittai - "ow", like when someone gets conked on the head.
    Nani - "what"
    Oh, yes, taking that train of thought, "Nyaaaaaaaaah!", meowing cats! Or well, neko's. Real cats don't say 'nyaah'.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Uh oh you found me out. I'm guilty as charged. ~_^
  • Let's see from the top of my head:

Tamaya - Means nothing but is yelled at fireworks displays.
    Yukata - A summer kimono worn by women at festivals
    New years day = Visit at the temple.
    Children receive a new years allowance
    Early in the morning there are radio programs and organized meet-ups for children to excercise, but I'm not sure this is still done.
    In the evening there are radio announcements that reminds children to go home.
    No shoes in the house
    You have to be very close to a person to not use honorifics

• I've heard this tune played in several animes. I later learned it's a childrens' song called Toryanse which means “Please Let Me Pass”.
  • I learned that "no" means "yes". >_>
  • I learned that rape is how you say hello.
    Or maybe that was from 4chan.
  • edited August 2008
    Gee, bet you can't guess where I learned a lot of my Japanese words before taking classes.

Bara - Rose
    Ouji-sama - Prince
    Hime - Princess
    Kettou - Duel
    Sekai - World
    Kakumei - Revolution
    Kuroi - Black
    Shiroi - White
    Ken - Sword
    Eien - Eternal/Eternity
    Kiseki - Miracle
    Zettai - Absolute
    Unmei - Destiny
    Mokushiroku - Apocalypse

In general, I picked up these from a variety of anime before taking classes:

Watashi/Boku - I (though I didn't understand the difference)
    Anata/Omae - You (ditto above)
    Chikara - Power
    Kawaii - Duh
    Baka - Duh
    Kowai - Scary
    Tsuyoi - Strong
    Sugoi/Kakkoi - Cool
    Shoujo - Girl
    Shounen - Boy
    Onii-san - Older brother
    Onee-san - Older sister
    Otouto - Little brother
    Imouto - Little sister
    Dai suki - I really like you
    Ai shiteru - I love you
    Kirei - Pretty
    Hikari - Light
    Benkyou - Study
    Natsuyasumi - Summer vacation (yeah, kind of a random one to pick up on; blame Pikachu)
    Various suffixes, with varying degrees of grocking
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited August 2008
    All I've learned from anime is how to swear in Japanese. Even that I'm not so sure about, seeing as I learned it from a Naruto fansub I once watched.

Also, Japan is made up entirely of creepy perverts and insane geniuses. Note that the two are not mutually exclusive.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Watashi/Boku - I (though I didn't understand the difference)
    Boku is the version used by boys, 'watashi' is used by girls, though I've also seen 'atashi' and thought it was also a form of 'I' but am not sure. Note, every female character in anime that I have seen that uses 'boku'... is awesome. Or well, the ones I know who use 'boku' instead of 'watashi' are awesome.
    All I've learned from anime is how to swear in Japanese.
    Wait, isn't Japanese horribly limited in it's swearing compared to say... English.
  • edited August 2008
    All I've learned from anime is how to swear in Japanese.
    Wait, isn't Japanese horribly limited in it's swearing compared to say... English.
    As the Otaking interview would lead me to believe, yes. So I don't know what I've learned. Naruto just said it every time he was pissed off and it was translated as "damn".
    Post edited by Walker on
  • As the Otaking interview would lead me to believe, yes.
    My source for the same information also. Didn't he even use a Naruto example for that?
  • From what I can tell there are about two normal swears in japanese Kuso that's used when bad shit happens like " Damn It!", and Fuzakenayo which is sort of like "Fuck You" except a little bit nicer.
    Watashi and Boku are weird, Boku is male, generally young or impetuous, "I" and Watashi is among a older group mostly genderless ,and among a younger slightly female form.
    My Japanese is mostly from a couple classes I took back in middle school(5-6 years ago) and more just held in place by anime more than anything. So if anything I've just picked up a few random words here and there like Sabaku (desert) and Tsunagaru(to connect/hold hands).
  • I thought boku was just USUALLY male? I know that one of the twin girl dolls in Rozen Maiden, and Haruhi from Oruan High School Host Club, both use it.
  • I can't say I'm entirely sure but I think it strongly implies male. Also note that anime is a dramatic media, it's not out of the realm to think Boku may be used by a female character to show a degree of masculinity or tomboyishness, similar to the use of -de gozaru, or -de arimasu to imply a certain sort of character.
    edited August 2008
    I thought boku was just USUALLY male? I know that one of the twin girl dolls in Rozen Maiden, and Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club, both use it.
    Souseiseki uses 'boku' yes, she's one of the awesome female characters I was talking about earlier. As for Ouran Host, isn't the Haruhi in that show male? Shiam explained it as well as I potentially could have. But I'm 100% positive that 'boku' is the masculine form of 'I'. So yes, it's very unladylike/tomboyish of a girl to use 'boku'. Wasn't there also 'ore' for 'I'? Emily! D: Or anyone else with proper Japanese knowledge. Help please.

EDIT:
    Also, watching Kino no Tabi OP:
    Sora = sky
    Kagami = mirror.
    Though Sora I learned through Kingdom Hearts, hence the capitalization, and Kagami through Google translate of the Vocaloid product pages.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I've learned they have several different dialects within - ranging from their version of hick to probably something very sophisticated.
    Kawaii - cute
    Kawai - scary
    I know a few honorifics...
    -senpai is for older/higher up people (example, upper classman, high position of worker)
    -chan is for cute girls, children, and pets
    -kun is for boys and between male friends.
    -sensei is for masters, teachers, bosses and authority figures.
    -san is a general honorific, especially with strangers.

I've been called Katie-chan and Katie bell-chan; I've called my friends Cole-senpai, Keira-chan and Heather-chan. It's not a common occurrence; more of a playful teasing thing, or it simply slips.
  • edited August 2008
    Watashi/Boku - I (though I didn't understand the difference)
    Explaining stuff
    Keyword: "didn't understand." Thanks for making an effort to explain, but I do understand the difference now, and have for a while. I said that those lists of words were from before I'd taken Japanese classes.
    From what I can tell there are about two normal swears in japanese Kuso that's used when bad shit happens like " Damn It!", and Fuzakenayo which is sort of like "Fuck You" except a little bit nicer.
    I think that "fuzakenna" is a shortened, rougher version of "fuzakeru na," meaning "don't laugh/joke around." So, "fuzakenna yo" would an emphasized version of the phrase ("yo" being an emphasis particle). So, the rough equivalent of the phrase in English (in spirit) would be, "Don't fuck with me!" or "Quit playing around, asshole!" The swearing would be included in English to get across the roughness of the phrase, and not necessarily meaning that the person is swearing in Japanese.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I learned and what bear was from a childrens song.

Boku wa kuma, kuma, kuma, kuma~ Kuruma ja nai yo.
    (I am a bear, bear, bear, bear~ I am not a car.

I learned about traditions on Valentines and White day. Girls make chocolate for the boys and on White day guys do something for the girls.

From Slayers Nest: So da wa himitsu desu. (It's a secret) If I spelled it right. :P

Everything else was already said in this thread.
  • edited August 2008
    I learn that the girl in a relationship must be a bitch until the last episode, because everyone in japan is that way. XD

I'm making fun of anime, don't flame me.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • This and the other videos of the same type sum up what you can learn from anime:

• I also know how to really really butcher "Who the hell do you think I am?" from watching Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.
    Ore ga dare da to topo tire is what it sounds like to me.
  • Keyword: "didn'tunderstand." Thanks for making an effort to explain, but I do understand the difference now, and have for a while. I said that those lists of words were from before I'd taken Japanese classes.
    Doh! Curse you time of midnights, curse you for corrupting my ability to fully comprehend what is being said and written, curse you!
    ("yo" being an emphasis particle)
    I wonder what Japan things of American hip-hop artists/rappers. "YO! YO! YO! Z' is DJ Mike in da hood, YO! YO! YO!"
  • Probably aren't too fazed by it. "Yo" as North Americans use it has been adopted into Japanese slang/casual speech as well.
  • I've heard this tune played in several animes. I later learned it's a childrens' song called Toryanse which means “Please Let Me Pass”.
    Ah, I love this little tune; I read somewhere that the stoplights that played it were becoming rarer :/

Besides some short expressions already mentioned here, I learned through anime that the Japanese language is quite flexible in its use and that makes it so much harder to learn.
  • I've learned pretty much nothing, the only thing I've actually picked up is how Japanese intonation works.
  • Probably aren't too fazed by it. "Yo" as North Americans use it has been adopted into Japanese slang/casual speech as well.
    MIND = BLOWN, headsplosion, KABOOM, GARBLRALHRAKLRHARA.

More stuff Nine remembers:
    Tabi = journey
    tabito = traveller
    The kanji for 'Shi' is a smiley, at least, that's what Shigofumi made me believe.
    Last episode of Kino no Tabi anime is so saaaaaaaad. D: That episode has made my cry more than any other anime that has made me cry/tear.
  • From what I can tell there are about two normal swears in japanese Kuso that's used when bad shit happens like " Damn It!", and Fuzakenayo which is sort of like "Fuck You" except a little bit nicer.
    Kuso means Poop. Hanakuso is a booger.
    Fuzakenayo literally means "don't kid around with me." Fuzakeru means to joke around.
    Chikusho means "beasts" and refers to the buddhist belief that those of bad karma are reincarnated as beasts.
    Ama lit. Buddhist nun, means bitch (Ano ama!)
    There are many words and turns of phrase that will produce the same reaction as swearing, but they don't have an equivalent in English. Many of them are words for you.
    Teme, or Kisama for example. It literally means "you" but it is extremely rude. I'd almost say that swearing in Japanese, or at least speaking terribly impolitely is more varied and complex that in English.
  • But I'm 100% positive that 'boku' is the masculine form of 'I'. So yes, it's very unladylike/tomboyish of a girl to use 'boku'. Wasn't there also 'ore' for 'I'?
    Correct. Notice how many of the girls who use "boku" tend to be stronger characters, more tomboyish. Boku is the softer, younger sounding I used by males, whereas "ore" is super macho.
    Kuso means Poop. Hanakuso is a booger.
    Fuzakenayo literally means "don't kid around with me." Fuzakeru means to joke around.
    Chikusho means "beasts" and refers to the buddhist belief that those of bad karma are reincarnated as beasts.
    Ama lit. Buddhist nun, means bitch (Ano ama!)
    There are many words and turns of phrase that will produce the same reaction as swearing, but they don't have an equivalent in English. Many of them are words for you.
    Teme, or Kisama for example. It literally means "you" but it is extremely rude. I'd almost say that swearing in Japanese, or at least speaking terribly impolitely is more varied and complex that in English.
    Lol, I remember my Japanese teacher being completely horrified as how we talked amongst friends to each other in Spanish once she knew enough to actually put 2 and 2 together and figure out the filth pouring out of our mouths (chat amongst male friends here tends to be quite rude), and then trying to explain that there were no real "insults" (or at least like ours) when we asked her to teach us some.