This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2008

edited August 2008 in Conventions
I know that there are a mess of other Otakon threads, but there should be one to cover everything. I will hopefully be down there by 10, so if anyone sees a guy dressed up as Link with glasses and not enough hair to pull of Link's bangs, that is most likely me. Also, for anyone going to the JAM Project tonight, it would be so cool if all of the people who post here get together beforehand and rock that concert as a group. Any takers?

Comments

• I envy you Americans with your throbbing geek culture.
    edited August 2008
    I envy you Americans with your throbbing geek culture.
    EDIT: Though, I don't think I would want anything throbbing ever.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited August 2008
    I don't know what is scheduled for tonight, but would anyone want to go to the Maryland Science Center's Observatory tonight around 8:00 p.m. (assuming, of course, that the weather is good enough for telescope use)? I can get anyone who wants to go in for free and it's a short walk from the Convention Center.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Well, I went there but we should have created this topic like a week before the con.
    Anyhow today's concert was awesome and JAM Project was awesome even if they did not had a band. It didn't matter because they did two acoustic songs and "SKILL" .
    Anyone is thinking in going to the autograph session?
  • The JAM Project concert was epic, especially when one of them sang the theme to King of Braves: GaoGaiGar.
  • edited August 2008
    The JAM Project concert was epic, especially when one of them sang the theme to King of Braves: GaoGaiGar.
    That part was awesome, if only more people would have gotten the GAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA GAO GAI GAR :P

Also when Masaki Ouki sang the Opening theme of Utena the girls went crazy :P

By the way if you did not get the Kimba badge you were not among the cool people :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • By the way if you did not get the Kimba badge you were not among the cool people :P
    I didn't see that one! Man, that sucks. I picked the D. Gray-man one.
  • It was number 5!
    The same day as my birthday, It is so awesome I should take a picture and post it here
  • edited August 2008
    I went crazy at the Rinbu Revolution song. I loved Jam Project!

I got the Kimba badge myself. I mostly seen people with Lucky Star or something else I think was Code Geass. DUDE! Gurren Lagann badge! Come on!

My two fave panels had to be The Old Fart Appreciation Panel and Dubs that Time Forgot Panel. I found out the hard way that industry panels are BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRING!

ALSO THE SWAG WAS AWESOME! Bandai and Funimation really came through on that.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Ugh, working the Monday after the con. I work a 4/10 schedule (10 hrs a day, 4 days a week). The only disadvantage is 10 hr Mondays......
  • I saw Rym get his ass handed to him by Katsu, and I filmed it.
    Are you uploading it to the Youtube as you wrote that?
  • edited August 2008
    I saw Rym get his ass handed to him by Katsu, and I filmed it.
    link please.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • Katsu's sword moved faster than my consumer grade nikon could follow. You can see the blur of his hands, but the bamboo completely vanishes.
  • I was there. It was fun.
  • The video will be posted in at the most two hours, I have to get the rest of the stuff off of my camera and encode the video. In the meantime, I present the best costume I saw at Otakon this year...
    The giant fetus monster from the end of Akira.
  • So, how many people picked up a GN shirt? Wearing mine at work now.
  • I wore mine on Saturday.
    Please, upload it! I seen it live and it was awesome. I gotta link to it!
  • It's coming, it's coming, it's coming...
  • It's coming, it's coming, it's coming...
    Washington....Washington.

Someone has to make an AMV with that.
  • I found out the hard way that industry panels are BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRING!
    Is it strange that the default voice I had in my head for that last bit was Daryl Surat's? Specifically, the tone he uses to call shows like Marimite BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRING?
  • edited August 2008
    I saw Rym get his ass handed to him by Katsu, and I filmed it.
    My son and I enjoyed watching that panel. Rym was certainly a good sport about it, especially during the final barrage of blows: it looked like it probably hurt, even with the armor.

I also wanted to say thanks again to Rym and Scott for how awesome they were to my eight-year-old son. Steen and I listen to the videogame and anime episodes together, and were both eager to say hi. When we dropped by on Sunday, both Rym and Scott went out of their way to talk to him, ask him what he thought of the con, what his thoughts were on anime and starter Pokemon, and to generally make him feel cool.

It probably wasn't such a big deal for them, but it meant the world to him. He walked away from the Geeknights table totally thrilled, wearing his new GN t-shirt (which he wore to day camp today too). Scrym have another fan for life.

We're both looking forward to Katsucon in February, and Steen has extracted a promise from me that we can go for the whole of Otakon (or as much as he can stay awake for) in 2009.
    Post edited by Hank on
  • I request a pics of your son in the Geek Nights shirt! I want to see the adorableness of "Get the Hell Off my Internets" shirt on the tyke. ^_^
  • I request a pics of your son in the Geek Nights shirt! I want to see the adorableness of "Get the Hell Off my Internets" shirt on the tyke. ^_^
    +1

I seen more children at this con than prior years. Or maybe I just noticed them more. So cute! Especially the kid cosplayers.
  • So cute! Especially the kid cosplayers.
    Sometimes I think about having a child, just so I could make them cosplay at a con, but that really isn't the best reason to have a child. :P However, if I ever see a child cosplaying Yotsuba, I might just die from such adorableness.
  • I have and I died from adorableness.
  • I saw at least 6 little kids walking outside the convention on Saturday night, they were with their parents but no kid should stay awake at 12 a.m. :S
    I think one of them was with her very old grandmother, but they were inside the convention.