This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Vagabond

edited August 2008 in Manga/Comics

I just finished reading the first volume and I must say, I'm very impressed. Especially with the art style.
Have any of you guys read this manga? If so, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• I haven't read it yet, plan on getting the Vizbig edition in September.
    Probably better. But that won't come out here for a long time.
    Probably better. But that won't come out here for a long time.
    "here" being where?
  • Being Germany.
  • Max (if I may call you that), you can order english language manga via amazon.de. I'm doing it all the time. Here's the link to the english Vizbig edition by them.
  • Max (if I may call you that), you can order english language manga via amazon.de. I'm doing it all the time. Here's the link to theenglish Vizbig editionby them.
    So do I, but I somehow didn't bother to check. ^^" I found it kind of strange that the manga was being published here by Manganet, from which I don't have any manga and never consciously saw any manga from them.

Oh well, I've bought the first few volumes in German and I'd rather have to series in one language. But thanks for pointing that out to me! It totally slipped my mind.
  • edited August 2008
    Actually, Egmont Ehapa have published a few worthwhile series I enjoyed. GTO, GetBackers and Midori no Hibi (or Midoris Days) being the main ones. Some other big titles they got (but I don't read) are Detective Conan, Nana, Negima, Inu Yasha and Oh! My Goddess. All depends on taste though.

But yeah, they are pretty certainly only the third largest player on the german market behind Carlsen and Tokyopop.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Detective Conan
    Yeah, just realized that as well. ^^
  • I read it on the train today. The artwork was very good and the story also written pretty well, but I thought that they were "wasting" pages on reaction shots and the samurai fight scenes. Not that they were bad but they were very drawn out out filled pages with very few panels and even less text. At one point I felt like I was reading Bleach, but Bleach does a whole lot worse job with panels solely filled with speedlines.

What really annoyed me though was the translation job Ehapa did on this. Not only do they include all the honorifics, which I normally don't mind as much, but they impose the footnotes that explain them into the artwork with surrounding boxes. The worst of this is the title page of the first chapter where the title script looks like this:

1: I, Takezo Shinmen-sama*
    * the character is trying to instill bravery into himself
    by adding the high rank honorific "sama" to his name

And then they leave in japanese terms that could be easily translated, such as "gumi" or the japanese word for battlefield survivors, even if they use the german equivalent later on and their connotation that they explained in a footnote can easily be read out of the story.

What I liked though was the inclusion of an additional translation note at the end which explained the historical basis of it.

I might keep reading it because the story was pretty good, but I really hope for the americans that read this that the translation work of their company does a better job than the germans.