This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Escape from New York CIty

edited August 2008 in Movies
One of those movies that goes into the ridiculously bad older movies. God Damn. Does anyone have any other movies they can think of that are at this caliber? A similar one might be the princess bride except it's at least a little comedic.

Comments

• Escape from LA?
  • Magnum_opus? But I heard you were dead!
  • edited August 2008
    That's being remade, isn't it?

What was that movie Rym and Scott have mentioned....Battle of the Gas Station? Or something along those lines. As well as the movie that they said looked awesome but then found out it was terrible(arguing politicians, airships, it was Japanese)
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • That's being remade, isn't it?

What was that movie Rym and Scott have mentioned....Battle of the Gas Station? Or something along those lines. As well as the movie that they said looked awesome but then found out it was terrible(arguing politicians, airships, it was Japanese)
    Attack the Gas Station.
  • That is now on my list of things to do.
  • That's being remade, isn't it?
    Only in title. Go listen to The Greatest Movie Ever Podcast.
  • Attack the Gas Station is an amazing movie, especially when watched with friends. Unfortunately, Movies You Should See seems to have taken down the episode, however Rym & Scott left their review in .wav format on their server.
  • Attack the Gas Station is pretty hilarious. I'm very glad I watched that one with friends, though. Also watching it at 3 in the morning helped. I would like to promote the viewing of the film Repo Man. Starring Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton, it's a slightly surreal movie about a early-80s hardcore punk who becomes a repo man. Also, if you want other John Carpenter, They Live, starring the inimitable Rowdy Roddy Piper, is very very good.
    Attack the Gas Station is an amazing movie, especially when watched with friends. Unfortunately, Movies You Should See seems to have taken down the episode, however Rym & Scott left their review in .wav format on their server.
    My understanding is that Movies You Should See offers only episodes still in the feed for free download, and previous episodes are available for purchase.
  • Ah a classic. Kurt Russel once again defines what it is to be a man.

Anything by John Carpenter Vampire$ and oneword suck so much.
    Big Trouble in Little China was his best, and damn was it awesome.
  • Big Trouble in Little China was his best, and damn was it awesome.
    Too many people do not understand what that movie is supposed to be. It's winking along with the audience the entire time. Jack Burton is a caricature of an anti-hero, but if you pay attention, for all his bravado he doesn't do anything at all heroic or even helpful until his final knife-toss.

Any movie with a raid on a labyrinthine underworld and a neon skull stairway set piece is A-OK in my book.
  • Big Trouble in Little China was his best, and damn was it awesome.
    Too many people do not understand what that movie is supposed to be. It's winking along with the audience the entire time. Jack Burton is a caricature of an anti-hero, but if you pay attention, for all his bravado he doesn't do anything at all heroic or even helpful until his final knife-toss.

Any movie with a raid on a labyrinthine underworld and a neon skull stairway set piece is A-OK in my book.
    Oh I know what the movie is supposed to be, and I like it more because of it.
  • Oh I know what the movie is supposed to be, and I like it more because of it.
    I suspected that you got it. But the response I get all too often when bringing up Big Trouble In Little China is an incredulous one. People think it's a bad action film. They think it's mindless trash. They don't get how clever it is, and that frustrates me.
  • Oh I know what the movie is supposed to be, and I like it more because of it.
    I suspected thatyougot it. But the response I get all too often when bringing up Big Trouble In Little China is an incredulous one. People think it's a bad action film. They think it's mindless trash. They don't get how clever it is, and that frustrates me.
    I understand what you mean. Thankfully my Father knew better, and he taught me better.