This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeky Sports

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
So, what sorts of sports do Geeks generally play and/or watch? Hockey seems to be real popular at RIT. Here at MIT we have really good Fencing, Taekwondo, and Ballroom Dancing teams and not muc else. So, anyone from Caltech reading here who can tell us about what sports are popular there?

Comments

• I like golf. Avoiding the hazards is the toughest part of the game. You know, water, sand and residential. :)
  • I don't know about tech geeks but I've noticed anime/manga geeks tend to do a lot of different Japanese martial arts (personal example). I did karate for 10 years, but that had nothing to do with my anime/manga fandom. I got into manga long after I started doing karate, but I must admit that becoming a fan of Japanese culture did make karate a tad more fun.
  • Its true that fans of japanese culture tend to get into marial arts, but I've actually been studying Hapkido since long before I even knew what anime was, and at MIT it doesn't seem like there's any correlation between whether someone has a black belt and whether they're an anime fan. Maybe its just the sort of person who goes to MIT that means we have so many black belts, the same way so many of my friends here are also Eagle Scouts.
  • I must be the only geek that actually is not a fan of martial arts. I have no real problem with it I just don't like doing it.
  • Is LARPing a sport?

Even if it is, I still hate it.
  • Well, I be a sailor of the salty brine. Does that count?
  • Muay Thai and fencing.
  • Cricket. I am a teensy bit obsessed.
  • Professional wrasslin'. Except that it's not a sport at all.
  • To play:
    Longboarding or bicycling. Efficient forms of travel and a fantastic sports! They both require minimum muscle and minimum balance. You could also try frisbee, hackey sack, or juggling, but those or more activities than sports.
  • To play:

Competitive Improv. You wanna argue it's not a sport, I will take you on.

To watch:

Rugby
    Basketball
    Fencing
  • To Play:
    Racquetball
    Tennis
    Speed-skating
    Fencing

Watch:
    Basketball
  • I love Football (the real one , the one the rest of the world goes crazy over)
    Fencing
    Swimming
    Running
  • Does marching band count?
    Marching 8 miles in a parade while playing an instrument? Military drill-downs at 6 in the morning? Weeks of grueling camp? Daily practices? Running laps if you show up late? Competing in tournaments?

Most certainly it counts. ^_^
    Marching 8 miles in a parade while playing an instrument? Military drill-downs at 6 in the morning? Weeks of grueling camp? Daily practices? Running laps if you show up late? Competing in tournaments?

I sayeth otherwise.

I sayeth otherwise.
    I concur(eth).

I sayeth otherwise.
    I concur(eth).
    You guys are teh suck. You know nothing I say, NOTHING!!

I sayeth otherwise.
    I concur(eth).
    You guys are teh suck. You know nothing I say, NOTHING!!
    March for 25 miles with 60lbs of equipment, that is a sport
  • I just have a different definition of sport than some people. I see a "real" sport as an objectively measured competition in which athletic ability is a significant factor. I really don't consider judged "sports" to be "real". So Figure Skating, Ballroom Dancing, etc. are well and good, but I don't put them in the same category as Ice Hockey and Baseball. I put winning a marching band competition more in line with winning an Oscar than winning the Super Bowl. It's really just a semantic argument about categorization. It has nothing to do with the actual value of one activity over another. Just because diving isn't in the same category as swimming, doesn't make it a less worthwhile or respectable activity.

Of course, I do hold the opinion that marching band is pretty stupid.
  • edited September 2006

March for 25 miles with 60lbs of equipment, that is a sport

You get paid, no comparison.
    Post edited by Andrew on

• March for 25 miles with 60lbs of equipment, that is a sport

You get paid, no comparison.
    Good Point
  • No such thing.
  • No such thing.
    Dude, you've got to give it a rest on the sports-hate. Besides, the question was "geeky sports," not nerdy ones. ^_~
  • edited September 2006
    No such thing.
    Dude, you've got to give it a rest on the sports-hate. Besides, the question was "geeky sports," not nerdy ones. ^_~
    Sports that geeks play exist. Even sports that many geeks play. However I believe for something to be "geeky" it must be at least 51% mind based and for something to be a sport it must be 51% body based. I do not consider chess, video games, boardgames, debating or even paintball to be sports.
    Post edited by blast flame on
  • No such thing.
    Sports that geeks play exist. Even sports that many geeks play. However I believe for something to be "geeky" it must be at least 51% mind based and for something to be a sport it must be 51% body based. I do not consider chess, video games, boardgames, debating or even paintball to be sports.
    Paintball and Dance Dance Revolution are sports.
  • No such thing.
    Paintball and Dance Dance Revolution are sports.
    I disagree. Dance Dance Revolution is more about timing and paintball (woods-ball at least) is more about tactics, stealth and skill.