This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Question to the forums.

edited August 2008 in Forum Stuff
*Sigh*
These forums have been quite disappointing for the past week.
Trolls, pyramids, stretching the page, very little meaningful discussions...

So, what’s up with people acting different when Rym and Scott are away? I don't get it... What is the reason for you guys doing it this week?

Is it because everyone else is doing it? But this group has never been the type to blindly follow the crowd, right?
So, is it because Rym and Scott would think less of you if you acted this way around them, but since they are away do you feel there are no ramifications for acting this way?
But there aren't ramifications if you act this way when they are here, so that can't be the reason either.

So I just don't get it.

I am not saying that you shouldn't post this way, even though I think it's annoying. I am asking, Why now? Why not just always post like this, especially if you guys think it's fun acting this way.
Why haven't you acted this way (to this extreme) before? Maybe you have and I missed it, for I am not an avid forum go-er. This week just seems very different from the norm to me.

Did you all just want a break from the regular forum because it was like boring/dull?

Comments

• It happens from time to time. Best to just let it run it's course.
  • My personal belief is that we need a week or so of acting like absolute asses to get it out of our system and be awesome the other 51 weeks.
  • Hmm, Neito might have a point. I don't think the troll helped, though. That seems to have been the catalyst.
  • Think of it as just a vacation from the norm. A kick back. Times like these happen occasionally. They run their coarse and then it's normal for awhile. (Or whatever you consider normal.)
  • I think the troll contributed greatly to it, and like Viga said, people just get in a feisty mood. Spontaneous combustion. It happens sometimes. People just explode.
  • You sound so melancholy, so serious. It's not like we're going to stay this way. I mean, I'm helping build the Great Blockquote Tower and resisting the attempts those who wish to stop it, yet here I can switch gears and post intelligently.

It'd be kind of awesome if during the FRC's week of awesome the FRC Forums had a week of wacky anarchy. The only problem is that it's hard to set this kind of things on schedules.
  • Everybody needs a vacation. Take a deep breath. Rome is not burning.
  • Madness is like gravity, all you need is a little push.
  • Madness is like gravity, all you need is a little push.
    Wow. That's sage. Need to be on a tee shirt.
  • God Damn, that movie was good.
  • So, what’s up with people acting different when Rym and Scott are away? I don't get it... What is the reason for you guys doing it this week?
    It's simple. Without fear of repercussions, people are willing to push the limit further and further. "If some troll can get away with acting however the hell he wants, why shouldn't I?" This, and the lack of a corrective force, are what caused last week's behavior.

As much as we'd like to believe that we're self-sufficient and can mentally change on our own, the fact of the matter is that we rely almost entirely on external stimuli. Say one person notices how annoying a large set of nested quotes is and decides to do it intentionally. Others are influenced by this and proceed to join in. Without someone in a position of authority (or at least someone who's willing to use said authority) to tell them otherwise, they don't receive negative stimuli or are told, "No, making pages upon pages of pyramids doesn't scare off the troll so much as it makes you look like a complete twat."

Also, this forum's methods of punishment aren't exactly conducive to behavioral correction, either. For instance, when someone spells like a monkey would and refuses to learn, instead of suspending their ass for a few days, we slap a silly red bar on their posts. What lesson does that teach? They just keep on typing like a 'tard and brush it off as a joke.

I think I'll stop here as I'm about as interested in telling you guys how to run your forum as you are in barging into my house and telling me how to eat my dinner.
    edited August 2008
    My personal belief is that we need a week or so of acting like absolute asses to get it out of our system and be awesome the other 51 weeks.
    This, and the troll opened the floodgates, at which point everyone pretty much went "Ah why the hell not."

EDIT: One Sin posted!
    Post edited by ... on
  • It happens. It all works out in the end.
  • All you guys are playing this off like it's no big deal. I mean, if it does happen to stop, then it's not a big deal. But I've seen trolls come in, then people take the "why the hell not" approach, then the entire forum goes down the shithole. I've seen that happen MANY times...so I can see why Mosquitoboy was concerned.
  • Most of us have been around long enough to know this has happened before and everything will return to normal with time. It's just fun. You can see how uptight I once was about this stuff.
  • edited August 2008
    All you guys are playing this off like it's no big deal. I mean, if it does happen to stop, then it's not a big deal. But I've seen trolls come in, then people take the "why the hell not" approach, then the entire forum goes down the shithole. I've seen that happen MANY times...so I can see why Mosquitoboy was concerned.
    That's why you either need a tough membership to beat the dissenters into submission or a strong leadership that's willing to go into a martial law-like state. Fortunately for us, we at least have the former.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • Frankly, I don't know that this is happening because Rym and Scott are gone. The troll would still be here if Rym and Scott were here - they've said they're not willing to ban her (not saying I think they should). And there's always a certain amount of crap, random posting in this forum, viz. 'Rym and Scott are Gay'. It's gotten more pronounced over the past couple of days, but it's nothing that hasn't existed before. And if Rym and Scott are here, what actions would they take that haven't been taken by others?

Certainly, there's a danger of this sort of communication growing to exclude everything else. I think there's a way to go before that happens, especially given the degree of concern already being shown.

• I think I'll stop here as I'm about as interested in telling you guys how to run your forum as you are in barging into my house and telling me how to eat my dinner.
    If you're that interested, why don't you keep going? :P
  • edited August 2008
    I would like to add that the pyramids only appear in troll threads or threads that talk specifically about the pyramids. I consider it a very apt way of keeping trolls out when there are no admins here. That and rocket artillery.

Anyway, as the pyramids do not stray into posts containing interesting discussion, you don't have to go into them.

Edit: In addition, I haven't noticed a drop in spelling and grammar.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2008
    I would like to add that the pyramids only appear in troll threads or threads that talk specifically about the pyramids.
    You mean the thread you specifically renamed to talk about pyramids?

EDIT: Scratch that. I meant "the thread someone specifically renamed".
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • I second Omnutia's evidence

And anyways we always have our silent protector. Mr. Period, this Forum's Dark Knight.

• And anyways we always have our silent protector. Mr. Period, this Forum's Dark Knight.
    We haven't seen him in quite a while. I'm not so sure I believe in him anymore.
  • edited August 2008
    If we need him, he will come. I wonder if I could draw him out with terrible grammer. Or it'd be hilarious if he was Jen.
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • edited August 2008
    If we need him, he will come.
    Listen, no one has seen him for a long time. He's dead. He probably never existed at all outside of our dreams. You have to accept that.

No one is going to save us. We're on our own.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Hai guise.
  • Hai guise.
    It makes it even more funny that you didn't post as "Mr. Period".
  • edited August 2008
    No, Sail was saying what's up with Mr. Period, he's in a Hai under some sort of guise.

EDIT: O SHITZ, THE MASTAS BE BACK! (notice the absence of Thomas Paine's quote)
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on