This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Firefox autofill user/pass, possible phishing hole?

edited September 2006 in Technology
I realized while looking around a paypal phishing site that firefox's autofill for usernames/passwords could give my precious login information to anyone who sets up the right form fields and creates a timed auto-submit. 2 seconds after clicking a link and my personal data could be no longer personal! Any thoughts on this matter?

Edit: changed "google toolbar autofill" to "firefox autofill user/pass"

Comments

• I realized while looking around a paypal phishing site that my Google toolbar's autofill could give my precious login information to anyone who sets up the right form fields and creates a timed auto-submit. 2 seconds after clicking a link and my personal data could be no longer personal! Any thoughts on this matter?
    The Google Toolbar autofill doesn't autofill unless you press the button. And your Google Toolbar doesn't know your username and password for PayPal. And the Google Toolbar comes with an anti-phishing so it will warn you before visiting a blacklisted site.
  • edited September 2006
    You're right. I was thinking of Firefox's automatic username and password filler. But note that google toolbar doesn't have any anti-phishing, rather Google warns you before entering a fishy website (such as a website for software serials).

Going off topic, have you ever seen Mission Hill? The nerdy brother, Andy French, learns about being a smart ass, douchebag in the pilot episode. You should check it out, trogdor.
    Post edited by frostbitten_panda on
  • You're right. I was thinking of Firefox's automatic username and password filler. But note that google toolbar doesn't have any anti-phishing, rather Google warns you before entering a fishy website (such as a website for software serials).

Going off topic, have you ever seen Mission Hill? The nerdy brother, Andy French, learns about being a smart ass, douchebag in the pilot episode. You should check it out, trogdor.
    Firefox's automatic username and password filter will only work on the real PayPal server. Just throwing that out there.
  • Ah yes, right again. They must have redirected me to the real paypal server after I typed in some fake credit card info and I "realized" the problem. Do not fret, there is no need to "just throw" anything when it's the whole focus of the topic.