This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• That reminds me of someone.

If you've never heard of Riverside, check 'em out. Polish prog rock/metal. Kinda Tool-esque.
  • If you like prog stuff, check out Prototype.
  • Cool stuff.

I want to listen to the unforgiven III.
  • Cool stuff.

I want to listen to the unforgiven III.
    I really can't wait to hear the new stuff. I've heard some excerpts of various riffs, and it all sounds pretty good.

But then again, I'm a fanboy.
  • edited July 2008
    Agathodaimonis also pretty good.
    OK, so I'm REALLY digging Agathodaimon right now. Check out a few of their songs online. I'm particularly digging "An Angel's Funeral." Seriously. It's really good stuff.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • James singing is not as fierce as in their earlier works, but it's still good.

Wow. Agathodaimon sounds really good.
  • Are there any metal bands that don't have constant drum fills? I was listening to that Emperor album a lot and some parts were super awesome, but some really bothered me and I think that's why. The drums sounded so flat, and I prefer the more rattly, less clean drum sound that noise bands like Lightning Bolt and No Age have. Any metal like that?
  • Are there any metal bands that don't have constant drum fills? I was listening to that Emperor album a lot and some parts were super awesome, but some really bothered me and I think that's why. The drums sounded so flat, and I prefer the more rattly, less clean drum sound that noise bands like Lightning Bolt and No Age have. Any metal like that?
    You can try older black metal; the production was a lot worse, so the drums aren't nearly as clean.
  • You can try older black metal; the production was a lot worse, so the drums aren't nearly as clean.
    Any specific bands/albums?
  • You can try older black metal; the production was a lot worse, so the drums aren't nearly as clean.
    Any specific bands/albums?
    Try the first album by Emperor, and Immortal's older stuff. Mayhem and Burzum, too. Actually, you may like some of Burzum's more recent stuff; more atmospheric and somewhat experimental instrumental black metal.

Cielmort is more the expert on that; I really don't like black metal except for a few noteworthy exceptions, and I specifically hate the poorly produced stuff from way back when. I also don't like Lightning Bolt (or pretty much any noise music), so I'm not a great one for the rattly drum sound.
  • You pretty much hit it right there. You can also listen to Satyricon, Enslaved (which has prog influences), Carpathian forest, Deathspell Omega (Avant-grande, might be more of your liking) and early Graveland,trolltech.

Black metal bands are a dime a dozen.
  • I'll be sure to check those out. Also, Sunn O))) and Acid Mothers Temple are pretty cool.
  • I love Sunn 0)), AMT I have not listened to yet.
  • edited August 2008
    I picked up Meanderthal by Torche recently. Although it does have the super clean drum rolls that I don't care for, it has great mathrock guitars and melodic singing. It's a really good album.

And here's a tune:
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited August 2008
    Hey Water/whale/anyone, any metal bands besides CoF that have insanely high pitched screaming vocals?

-Edit.-
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Gorgoroth is amazing, but I dislike the gaalh/infernus problem it's going through rights now, pretty stupid if you ask me.
    So far, Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam meets with my approval.

Also, have you listened to either of Ihsahn's solo projects? Pretty freakin' good stuff there. Peccatum, the project he worked on with his wife, is also very interesting.
  • Gorgoroth is amazing, but I dislike the gaalh/infernus problem it's going through rights now, pretty stupid if you ask me.
    So far,Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriammeets with my approval.

Also, have you listened to either of Ihsahn's solo projects? Pretty freakin' good stuff there. Peccatum, the project he worked on with his wife, is also very interesting.
    I have not been able to get my hands on a lot of them. Any songs which you recommend?
  • That wins so many internets.
  • edited August 2008
    8-Bit Slayer
    Ouch. That sounds terrible. I mean, I know it's not supposed to sound great, but that's just fucking terrible. The drumming and singing are the worst. The 8 bit guitar is kinda cool, though.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Man, since you gave this a bump, I caught up with this thread.

I've never been a huge fan of metal, but wow, Son of Mourning is definitely my cup of tea. Thank you Mrs. Macross.

So, what kind of metal is SoM? Their only song I really like is Watashi No Tetsu, the others don't really click with me, but I'd definitely like to hear more of the first style. Can anyone help me here?
  • They're melodic death metal, with some progressive and a slight tint of black metal influence.

They're really good, and I'm not just saying that because I'm friends with them. Very talented group of guys.
    So far,Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriammeets with my approval.

I have not been able to get my hands on a lot of them. Any songs which you recommend?
    Ihsahn - "Invocation" from The Adversary

From his first solo album. Good stuff.

Peccatum - "The Moribund People"

I'm currently listening to their album Lost in Reverie. It's a bit more experimental than this. Interesting stuff. Still not 100% sure if I like it.

Ihsahn - "Unhealer" from angL

Featuring Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth on lead vocals. Badass song.
  • I should repeat my previous question.

You guys know any metal bands besides CoF that have insanely high pitch screams? I love how they sound.
  • edited August 2008
    I should repeat my previous question.

You guys know any metal bands besides CoF that have insanely high pitch screams? I love how they sound.
    What, Emperor isn't high-pitched enough? Pretty much every black metal band ever has high-pitched screamy vocals. If you want to go really over-the-top, try anything with King Diamond (Mercyful Fate or King Diamond); that man has a ridiculous vocal range.

Agathodaimon sounds pretty close to older CoF; try that out and see what you think.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Thanks, hopefully CoF will return to their older sound like they said they will.
  • edited August 2008
    I should repeat my previous question.

What, Emperor isn't high-pitched enough? Pretty much every black metal band ever has high-pitched screamy vocals. If you want to go really over-the-top, try anything with King Diamond (Mercyful Fate or King Diamond); that man has a ridiculous vocal range.

Agathodaimon sounds pretty close to older CoF; try that out and see what you think.
    Ah... King Diamond. ^_^
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • So I watched a documentary about Gaahl from Gorgoroth last night, entitled "True Norwegian Black Metal." You can find the 5-part series here. It's very interesting. Dude's fucked up, but interesting. I highly recommend watching it.

There's another metal documentary out there entitled "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" (I've seen clips of it on YouTube), but I still need to get my hands on it. Seems like it'll be very good.
  • Gaalh? Euronymous and Dead from Mayhem are way more hardcore than Gaalh.
  • Gaalh? Euronymous and Dead from Mayhem are way more hardcore than Gaalh.
    Yeah, but it's not like Euronymous can CONTINUE to be hardcore today, now can he?

And Varg Vikernes is way more hardcore than any of them. That's why he's in prison.