This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2008

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Hey, apparently The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is going to be showing in Seattle during PAX. Anyone want to make a date to go see it sometime on the Friday or Saturday?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I thought about that, but I honestly don't know. There is a lot of crap going on at PAX. I'll have to see.
  • Yeah, Saturday's going to be pretty tight for me too. Friday not so much, but I do really want to attend the concerts that night at least. All depends on when the movie's showing.
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah, I remember Scrym mentioning this movie before as well as it's playing around. There are no showtimes from what I've seen. However, hopefully next week they will reveal the showtimes.

You can find out more here. It's at the Varsity Theater which is in the U district of Seattle, near the University of Washington. Takes about 15-20 minutes via car ride, with good traffic at that. If I recall, I believe that's where I watched "X-The Movie" as well as the Cowboy Bebop Movie. ^_^
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • It's a really good movie.
  • I found the showtimes here. I could probably squeeze it into my schedule if I go to the 2:40 showing on Saturday, assuming I'd be leaving the con grounds around 2:15 and getting back there around 5:00. None of my committed events are going on in that time period, and the only thing I'd be really interested in doing during that time is the Gabe & Tycho autograph session, which I'm fine skipping.
  • Well I know that there is decent bus transportation, however if you are renting a car, that should be fine too. Parking is a bitch, though. Also, just fyi, when you think you have downtime because of panels, the exhibition room will devour you. It did last year. I was practically there the whole time, trust me.

I might just catch it on Labor Day if not later on that week.
  • I probably won't go if no one else is able to, since I've seen the film already. If there's a group willing to go, however, I'm so there.
  • Agreed. I'll try my best to meet up with you guys at that exact time.
  • I'm slowly but surely working on a nice friendly map for people who are new to the area. It gives locations for the local eateries that are well within walking distance of the convention center. I was in Seattle yesterday, so I thought being in the area, it's good to remember what places are where.
  • That would be much appreciated! Thank you. :3
  • Oh wow, that's incredibly convenient. Thanks a bundle for that.
  • Attention anyone going to PAX. Do you want a GeekNights t-shirt? If so, you have to pay attention. Since we don't have a table at PAX, and since we are flying, we can't bring a lot of stuff with us. So a box full of t-shirts is right out. However, I think we should have enough room in our luggage to take a limited number of pre-ordered shirts. They are $15 each, which is the price we charged at Otakon. We have sizes ranging from S to XL. If you want one, send an e-mail to geeknights@frontrowcrew.com with a subject of PAX T-shirt. Tell us how many shirts you want, in which sizes, and we will bring them. If we get too many orders to fit in our luggage, it will be first-come first-serve. Also, I don't think we have very many small sized shirts left. It will be up to you to come to our panel to collect your shirt. If you fail, you fail, and we might sell the shirt to someone else, or just take it home. At the present time, we only accept cash at PAX.

I think that covers it.
  • What type of shirt is it made out of? Is it the the basic unisex style? Can you possibly provide us with a sizing chart? Thanks! ^_^
  • edited August 2008
    Ok, I finally finished the "I'm a newbie to PAX and the Seattle Area" Map. Below I will explain what each of the symbols mean. If you have any questions please ask. If you want a larger image of the map, let me know. I made to where it's 8"x9" to easily fit to print on paper.

H = Hotels (These are the hotels listed on the PAX website. If you are staying somewhere else, I didn't put it on here. :P)
    H1: Paramount Hotel
    H2: Roosevelt Hotel
    H3: Grand Hyatt
    H4: Sheraton
    H5: Red Lion
    H6: Hilton Seattle
    H7: Crowne Plaza
    H8: Homewood Suites by Hilton

R = Restaurants/Eateries
    R1: WSCTC Food courts: Tully's Coffee, Subway, Taco Del Mar, Cafe Dior. There is also a pizza place across from Taco Del Mar. Don't go there. It's a rip off with really bad pizza.
    R2: Another Subway in front of the WSCTC along with a La Creperie Voila. The Crepes are very tasty delicious!
    R3: Cheesecake Factory, one of my more favorite places to dine.
    R4: Gameworks with a Gameworks Grill on the 2nd floor.
    R5: Westlake Center Mall food court. It's on the top floor. I highly recommend dining here for most of the weekend. Pretty decent prices along with an extremely wide variety of different foods you can choose from. There is Italian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Greek, Mexican, Cajun, and more. There is also a Bobamachine which serves yummy bubble tea. I recommend the Indian and Greek restaurants.
    R6: Pacific Place food court. It's more sit-down restaurants on the top floor. These restaurants include: Gordon Bierch Brewery, Johnny Rockets, Mexico, Tacone, Thai Ginger, & Todai Japanese Buffet.
    R7: Dragonfish Asian Cafe. This is a pan-asian restaurant inside the Paramount Hotel. They serve really good drinks and yummy asian food.
    R8: Von Grand's City Cafe. Decent place for drinking. All I remember is taking guests for an anime convention here and getting drunk.
    R9: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Good food here as well.
    R10: Bambuza Vietnamese Bistro
    R11: Union Square food court that consist of Blue Water Taco, Chez Dave, Oragnic to Go, Pallino Pastaria, Union Square Grill, World Fresh Asian Eatery, & World Wrapps. I haven't eaten in that area, so I really don't know about it.
    R12: Benihana Japanese Steakhouse. Awesome.

S = Shopping
    S1: Westlake Shopping Center. You can find out what stores they have there on their website.
    S2: Rite Aid. I figure knowing where the closest drug store would be a good idea. It helped me when I needed to get insoles for my tennis shoes during one convention.
    S3: Pacific Place. Find out more from their website.
    S4: Regal Cinemas 16. If you feel like a movie. :P

For all you coffee drinkers, please note the Starbucks symbols on the map as well. There are many locations around PAX as well as a Tully's Coffee on the 4th floor of the convention center.

I hope everyone finds this map helpful. ^_^
  • Just a plug for some great friends of mine, Dead Gentlemen Productions. They're the film makers behind the movie The Gamers and the new Demon Hunters RPG through Margaret Weis Productions. Well, call this a self-promotion plug too since I helped write the book. But I digress.

The Dead Gentlemen will be screening their brand new movie The Gamers: Dorkness Rising at PAX this year. You can read a review of the film here. The movie is screening Friday, 10:30pm-12:30am in the Walrus Theater. Check it out, you won't be sorry.
  • The t-shirts are normal unisex t-shirts. They're anvil brand. That's all I know.
  • Just a plug for some great friends of mine,Dead Gentlemen Productions. They're the film makers behind the movie The Gamers and the newDemon Hunters RPGthrough Margaret Weis Productions. Well, call this a self-promotion plug too since I helped write the book. But I digress.
    The Dead Gentlemen will be screening their brand new movieThe Gamers: Dorkness Risingat PAX this year. You can read a review of the filmhere. The movie is screening Friday, 10:30pm-12:30am in the Walrus Theater. Check it out, you won't be sorry.
    They are your friends? I actually went to many of their showings at the cafe near PLU. I really enjoyed their improv shows.
  • Ro, you are a beautiful, beautiful human being. Thanks for the map.
  • All saved! Thanks a whole bunch, Ro! ^^ Now I just need to go shopping for a few last minute things, pack on Wednesday, and then I'll be all set.
  • Geeknights, what are you doing after your panel?
    Taking the entire panel to see Luke Crane and have a demo.
    Taking the entire panel to see Luke Crane and have a demo.
    So no Saturday concerts for us?
  • So no Saturday concerts for us?
    The concert doesn't start till 9:30 and unless you want to be at the front of the stage, then you should start lining up at the end of your panel, however I found it to be no problem to get in the concert even without the bracelet.
  • The concert doesn't start till 9:30 and unless you want to be at the front of the stage, then you should start lining up at the end of your panel, however I found it to be no problem to get in the concert even without the bracelet.
    That's sad.
  • edited August 2008
    That's sad.
    Not necessarily. My boyfriend and I went in late after the concert started and there was still plenty of space and chairs for us to sit down and enjoy the concerts. We were in the back, however the room the concerts where held in were pretty large.

Also, be on the look out for Marissa's Bunny
  • Not necessarily. My boyfriend and I went in late after the concert started and there was still plenty of space and chairs for us to sit down and enjoy the concerts. We were in the back, however the room the concerts where held in were pretty large.
    It's sad because I expect the concert to be absolutely jam-packed and wicked popular. If it easy to walk in and out, that means it isn't popular enough.

Also, chairs? Wtf chairs? Why do all these stupid convention concerts have chairs? General Admission ftw. Chairs ftl.
  • It's sad because I expect the concert to be absolutely jam-packed and wicked popular. If it easy to walk in and out, that means it isn't popular enough.
    Also, chairs? Wtf chairs? Why do all these stupid convention concerts have chairs? General Admission ftw. Chairs ftl.
    I can understand that. I would make a guess and say that a lot of people still want to go and do other things at PAX, like gaming. The DS lounge was always packed as well as the Exhibition Hall. A lot of people know the bands that will be performing, however I wouldn't say that everyone will know who they are or would want to attend.

There are chairs for people in the back. After a day of being on your feet, being able to sit down and enjoy some music can be good.

However, you did remind me that I need to bring earplugs.

I do remember last year, the line to get into PAX was retarded long. It was fun though because they handed out bags as well as free Bawls. Can't beat that. I also reread my letter from PAX that came with the badge. Apparently they are giving out free lanyards this year. Pretty cool.
  • Apparently they are giving out free lanyards this year. Pretty cool.
    I've never been to a convention that didn't give at least a free crappy lanyard, or metal-link badge necklace
  • edited August 2008
    I've never been to a convention that didn't give at least a free crappy lanyard, or metal-link badge necklace
    Ah, well I was thinking of a nice lanyard, but then again that would probably not be cost effective. You're probably right on it being the metal-link badge necklaces. Regardless, I have a few lanyards from past conventions to tide me over.