This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080820 - Otakon 2008

edited August 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we haphazardly review Otakon 2008. In the news, more manga is going digital, and the New York Anime Festival is going to have some awesome Vampire Hunter D action.

Scott's Thing - Face Your Manga
Rym's Thing - Rym's Demise

Comments

• Rym's Demise just made me fall out of my chair with laughter. Thanks for making my night.
  • edited August 2008
    The particular booths with the shiny fanart was by two people who got 14 tables through friends mass produced their art to sell more. It's a shit storm on DA, 4chan, Otakon AA boards and maybe other places. It's not the first con they did this at I hear. Otakon addressed it in that forum AFAIK. People hate them for taking up tables and "WalMarting" the AA.

I love the radish people. I think they hit up Katsucon too.

I regret going to tell my BF that I'm going to Rakugo instead and then was turned away. Glad to know it was awesome. I hope he comes to DC since he his going around America.

The MC/movie idea is awesome.

The animation.....WOW. I wish I owned it. I would buy it. YES, I would buy it. It's America's Daicon!

The super violent movie I saw was Machine Girl. Drill bras...hell no.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Sweet! I made a Thing of the Day!

I don't know why, but I really enjoy stuff like this.
  • i can't download the episode on iTunes :/
  • edited August 2008
    So now listening to this I feel that I missed a ton of stuff at Otakon, even though I had a ton of fun still.
    I thought that the con was fantastic, and even though I got to hear a whole bunch of complaining from one of my friends about lines, it wasn't the worst thing in the world. I don't think there were any empty panel or workshop rooms, almost everywhere I went it was packed or had more than 10 people in it.
    And by the way, the kendo panel makes me want to learn Kendo. I was actually wondering how Rym came upon being VP of Kendo club, though.
    And if there was one thing that I wish I could show everyone that didn't go to Otakon, it would definitely be (hands down) the opening animation from Otakon. That was perhaps the most awesome animation I'd seen in awhile.
    And the Dealers room line on Saturday was insane, I wound up going to an autograph session on Saturday instead, and even a few hours later I couldn't get in! D:
    So now I'm hyped for NYAF if ONLY for Vampire Hunter D. (and Gekiga, because I've heard countless ravings from my friends on how good it is)

P.S: Itunes for the fail tonight?
    Post edited by Naitumea on
  • edited August 2008
    Ah yes the super violent movie. I caught the one before Machine Girl which was Sukeban Boy. It was directed Noburo Iguchi (same as machine girl) and written by Go Nagai. I entirely endorse this film and would suggest it. It is exactly what one would expect if those two things were combined.

EDIT: As a note about the panels. I went to a few panels. The issue here was getting into the panels. Far too often would the lines for a generic fan panel the line before the panel would be upwards of 45 minutes long. All but two of the panels were great. Both of the two panels had very similar el'ements. They both gave out information on paper. Both times I was a tad impressed. This would be a good sign. These were the Sonic panel on Friday morning and the "Tales of..." panel on Saturday at some dead point. Essentially the panelist at both just read a list of games and said their opinion of each and every game.

Another note: In one instance where I intended to go to the panel after the "Comics for the Manga Reader" so I went in there and when I sat down I was told they would be emptying the panel room but I do not thing they did.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • What "classic" anime were you guys mentioning that got the crowds to "Woooo!"?
  • Anyone else here hit up the Old Farts Anime Appreciation panel? That was my favorite.
  • edited August 2008
    i can't download the episode on iTunes :/
    I can't either. It actually doesn't look like it's in any of the feeds.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • This episode hasn't turned up in iTunes, nor on in the feed I use for my google reader account.
  • edited August 2008
    At RIT you need 10 people to start the a club and Rym was willing to do the paper work :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited August 2008
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I loved the video room ideas you guys let loose. I work the video rooms at AnimeNEXT and I'm going to tell the department head to listen to this podcast and see if he can wrap his head around them. If done right, it would definitely perk up the video rooms, especially during the times when the video rooms are the most crowded things...
  • I fixed the feed. Stupid me, I upgraded the WordPress for the site, then I forgot to put the correct categories on the new episode.
  • My only bad experience at Otakon this year was that the reg line Friday morning was horrible. It was long, which wasn't really the issue, the issue was that they made it both pre-reg and non pre-reg. Then after about an hour in line and getting about half through it they finally split it up so that pre-reg got its own line, which went much faster and better. I'm just surprised that after all this time they didn't realize combining the two into one line was a horrible idea.
  • My only bad experience at Otakon this year was that the reg line Friday morning was horrible. It was long, which wasn't really the issue, the issue was that they made it both pre-reg and non pre-reg. Then after about an hour in line and getting about half through it they finally split it up so that pre-reg got its own line, which went much faster and better. I'm just surprised that after all this time they didn't realize combining the two into one line was a horrible idea.
    Picking it up Thursday next year?
  • That's what I try to do at cons, but sometimes that's not possible (people having to work and such.)
  • Glad people had fun.

FYI - JAM Project was awesome. I'd be glad to chat with you guys about the con this year. It was a real high point for guests. You know how to reach me.

-Jim
  • Listening to the podcast now....a few comments.

Yes, I did choke a bit on the "four-day con" thing.

FWIW, counting panels and workshops, we have more panel type programming than any anime convention.

The Rakugo performer performed to 600 people, a completely full panel 3. Panel 4 is the only room larger, and seats about 750.

The new hotel space is not as big as you think it is. Sadly.

We're all aware of the projector issues --- but some of the content is NOT letterboxed, so simply raising it up isn't an option. This will however receive a lot of attention next year, because we'd been making progress on that front the past two years and it was disappointing to hear that it had been lost in this year's setup.

The idea of video MCs is good -- we've used it before for our usual showings of Kurasawa films, and we did it with Peter Beagle this year. But you're right, it's hard to find the right folks for that.

I think we'll be looking hard at how we do video rooms this coming year, because the videos are much less of a draw than they used to be.

PLEASE do not refer to Ota-chan as "Otakon Day Care"....it makes our lawyer cry. The point is that families with smaller kids can find stuff to do together. :)

The Arena seats about 10k the way we use it, and we get about 7k for the masquerade. But you're right, it's very good.

The Opening Animation....I can't even talk about how awesome it was to see that come to life. And it got that reaction from staff, and it got that reaction from the membership...and even from the guests. Seeing our members, and JAM Project, and the Sailor Moon designer, and the actors, all laughing at the references....made my year and fulfilled a lifelong dream.

Glad you liked the press give-aways. They arrived a few days before the con and I was pretty happy with the quality.
  • Yeah, seconded on the press notepad. Really useful. I had already pilfered a notepad from the newspaper I was interning at, but carrying around an Otakon one felt more official. And lighter.

And the new wing of the BCC *is* the hotel. There are a few ballrooms and other spaces in there, and it sounds like Otakon has to arrange that separately, but with a covered skywalk there, what's the difference?
  • I wasn't able to go this year. Hadn't worked at my new job long enough to get vacation time. After hearing this episode though, I'm starting to wish that I had. Hopefully I'll be able to make it next year.
  • The new hotel space is not as big as you think it is. Sadly.
    Well, I should clarify my statement a little. The hallway space over there, if key events are moved, will go a long way toward reducing congestion and generally opening-up the con, even if the actual usable space is fairly small.
  • I'm gonna have to try the hack again, since my apps won't work on my Homebrew channel. I'm pretty much doing the hack so I can play imports.