This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your favorite music!

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
I was wondering what music you guys listen to, especially Japanese music. I'll start with:

Dir en Grey
Neil Young
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Note: I wrote this text 3 times and it was deleted when I used "Check spelling".

Comments

• I tend to get tired of a lot of artists fairly quickly but some that have stuck with me are X-Japan, Nightwish, Kent, Dir en Grey, The Back Horn and Asian kungfu generation. The rest changes from time to time.
  • I'm the same as fuurin, my tastes have evolved over time as I get older and my interests change. Right now I listen to a lot of japanese music (generally from anime OST's). A couple of bands I really enjoy at the moment:

Home Made Kazoku
    FLOW
    UVERworld
    Suga Shikao
    YKZ

The following bands I've been a big fan of for a long time:

Dream Theater
    Rage Against the Machine
    Incubus
    Audioslave
    A Perfect Circle
    Silverchair
  • edited September 2006
    Between my mom's love of 80s hair bands, ala Bon Jovi, and my dad into the older rock and ballads by bands like Chicago, I fell into the closest thing that kind of mixes the two: ska.

For almost 8 or 9 years my favorite bands have been in one order or another:

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Less Than Jake
    Reel Big Fish

Naturally I've also been into Weird Al for as long as I can remember.

I have an eclectic taste in oldies ranging from AC/DC to The Temptations.

A couple of "local" bands like Jimmie's Chicken Shack and GUTA.

And as for Japanese music, I can't really name any bands I listen to besides Asian Kung Fu Generation but I still love the Trigun OSTs, and really want the ones for certain games, like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and a Final Fantasy (probably VI)

Edit: And how can I forget Weezer, especially the Blue Album.
    Post edited by nlatimer on
  • edited September 2006
    KOTOKO/I've
    YUKI
    MOVE
    Suneohair
    UVERworld
    HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR
    Yuki KAJIURA
    Yuuka Nanri/FictionJunction YUUKA

The japanese sure like that Caps Lock key :O
    Post edited by Kite on
  • I try to listen to lots of different stuff for inspiration. My favorites of all time are:

The Cure
    Miles Davis
    The Smiths/Morrissey
    Jimi Hendrix
    Skinny Puppy

Right now I'm listening to a lot of jazz and blues, mostly John Coltrane and Muddy Waters.

I haven't found myself listening to ANY Japanese music lately. My girlfriend keeps listening to Shakira's Hip's Don't Lie which makes me want to KILL.

I'm listening to my own band Abikyokan, cause we've just finished a CD and we have to listen to it over and over to make sure there are no glaring mistakes.
  • Well I have always loved Japanese music, even before I got into anime.

I like right now.
    Animetal.(Moonlight Densetsu.)
    Dragonforce.(Operation ground and pound.)
    Anna Tsuchiya.(Rose.)
    Lady-tron.(Evil.)
    Home made kazoku. (Shounen heart.)

bands/composers I have like for a long time.
    Beat crusaders. (Tonight, tonight, tonight.)
    l'Arc~en~Ciel. (Driver's high.)
    Yoko Kano. (Inner universe.)
    Voltaire. (When you're evil.)
    Pink Floyd. (Welcome to the machine.)
    J.A seazer. (most of the utena OST.)
    Boa. (Duvet.)
    Ishikawa Chiak. (Utsukushi Kereba Sore de Ii.)
  • Right now? Kamelot.
  • On Jason's WinAmp playlist right now:

Radiohead
    Cake
    Pink Floyd
    The Velvet Underground
    Interpol
    Of Montreal
    Louis Jordan

I like everything except for modern country. Right now I'm particularly into some of the west coast indie bands.

I can't stand Japanese music because it a) is way too American Idol-ish/girl pop superstar-minded, b) is often oddly atonal, and c) tends to have nonsensical lyrics.
  • Some groups/composers/whatever I like are:
    The Avalanches
    The Beatles
    Cat Empire (just heard about them recently)
    George Gershwin
    Paul Simon
    Yoko Kanno
    Yuki Kaijura

I can't stand Japanese music because it a) is way too American Idol-ish/girl pop superstar-minded, b) is often oddly atonal, and c) tends to have nonsensical lyrics.
    Isn't that like me saying that I don't like American music because it a) is way too American Idolish/Boy Band superstar minded, b) is too twangy, and c) tends to have misogynous lyrics?

What I mean to say is you're painting with an awfully big brush there to describe a music industry of a size comparable to the US music industry and judging all Japanese music by Morning Masume is no more fair than judging the entire US music industry by the Backstreet Boys.

For your second point, I will say that some of my favorite Japanese music is oddly atonal the vast majority unfortunatly isn't. It might be that because its something you see in Japanese music with a greater relative frequency in Japan people who are fans of Japanese music might disporportionally like that kind of thing, and so if theyr'e trying to convert you or something they'd use a lot of it.

As to nonsensical lyrics - do you speak Japanese? If you mean that many Japanese songs have badly used English in them then I can see how you could think that. It seems that at least the Japanese music I listen to has drastically improved in the quality of the English used over the last ten years, with the hiring of a fair number of native speakers to help out with that aspect of it (even if the singers don't neccesarily pronounce everything perfectly). Please remember that the average Japanese person's command of English isn't that much better than the average American's command of whatever language they learned in High School and even if Japanese bands sometimes inserting random english words into their songs can be painful, let me assure you that listening to "Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto" can be painful for someone who understands Japanese as well. If you meant that the Japanese lyrics don't make sense instead then I'm afraid I have very little sympathy for you.
  • I don't listen to any type of popular music. I enjoy classical and Musical recordings. Sometimes I will listen to old Heavy Metal.
  • I'm a big fan of:

Internets music:
    Jeph Jaques
    Tom Smith
    Escape Key

(Semi)Popular music:
    The Doors
    The Fugees

And beyond that it's all musicals.
  • Reel Big Fish
    Barenaked Ladies
    Cake
    Queen
    Offenbach (classical composer)
    Bulldog Mansion
    The Presidents of the United States of America
    Tenacious D
    Smash Mouth
    Weird Al
  • edited September 2006

The Doors
    The Fugees

Does anyone else have an irrational dislike for bands with a "The" at the beginning of their name?
    Post edited by Kidder on
  • Rhapsody... OF FIRE!

/I kid

• The Doors
    The Fugees

Does anyone else have an irrational dislike for bands with a "The" at the beginning of their name?
    No, that's just you.
  • Velvet Chain
    Weird Al
    Battlestar Galactica soundtracks
    Blue Man Group
    Apocalyptica
    Rasputina
    Darling Violetta
    Tenacious D
  • Here's what I've been listening to a whole lot recently:

Cat Empire
    Man Man
    Tom McRae
    Tegan and Sara
    VNV Nation
    Sufjan Stevens
    Poe
    Snail Ramp
    Asian Kung-Fu Generation

I'm probably the only person who knows of most of those bands... beyond Rym, who I think I shared the majority of my music collection with the last time I visted Beacon.
  • Due perhaps to my love of music, this thread is incredibly difficult to answer. Instead, I will answer the opposite question, listing music I dislike. You can assume that my feelings toward all other music range between "enjoy" and "love."

Gansta Rap (other rap specifically excluded)
    Contemporary R&B;
    Limp Bizkit and bands like them
    Fantomas
    I'm probably the only person who knows of most of those bands... beyond Rym, who I think I shared the majority of my music collection with the last time I visted Beacon.
    Due partly to most of the above being on the Mac after you shared them with me, the list of bands I'm currently listening to is identical to yours. ^_~
  • Anime music and Metal. Go figure. :) Also I have been looking for music that combines orchestral with metal. Does anyone know of any good groups?
  • Anime music and Metal. Go figure. :) Also I have been looking for music that combines orchestral with metal. Does anyone know of any good groups?
    Apocalyptica
    East Village Opera Company might suit your tastes as well.
    Every symphonic power metal band on the planet.

Nightwish, Rhapsody, Epica, Kamelot, etc. Many of those bands have orchestral arrangements in their songs.

Therion uses orchestral stuff quite often as well.

Listening to Right Now
    Strapping Young Lad
    Dragonforce
    Behemoth
    Dimmu Borgir
    Slayer
    Kamelot
    Epica
    Kiuas
    Lamb of God
    Buckethead

Old Standbys
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Anthrax
    Dream Theater
    Blind Guardian
    Rhapsody (without the fire)
    Manowar
    Apocalyptica
    Pain of Salvation
    Children of Bodom
    Tori Amos
    Deicide
    Nile
    Cannibal Corpse
    Iced Earth
    Cradle of Filth
    Opeth
    Therion

Bands I Need to Get Into
    Jag Panzer
    Lacuna Coil
    Finntroll
    Mayhem
    At the Gates
    Amon Amarth
    Celtic Frost
  • Oh wow, I forgot two very key artists.

The Greatest Musical Artist, Band, Group, or What Have You, to Ever Walk the Face of the Goddamn Earth, Hands-Down, No Discussion
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Favoritest Rapper/Vocal Poet
    Sage Francis
  • edited September 2006
    Nothin' wrong with VNV Nation.
    Post edited by Gwen on
  • Sufjan Stevens
    The Arcade Fire
    Fiery Furnaces
    Sigur Ros
    The Decembrists
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    M. Ward
    The Microphones
  • My current favs (in no particular order) would be:

Toby Keith
    Mouth Music
    Dar Williams
  • edited September 2006
    I love me some Japanese music. In fact, my first concert was a POLYSICS show.

But my top 10 is as follows (for the most part in no particular order):
    Metallica(1st place, even if all the others aren't)
    Dir en grey(this would prolly rank number 2, lol)
    Alice in Chains(ok, I lied. THIS is number 2)
    Asian Kung-Fu Generation
    Franz Ferdinand
    Beck
    Apocalyptica
    N.EX.T(These guys pwnz the Guilty Gear XX Korean OST)
    Gorillaz

Of course, I'm a big fan of lots of game music, although I must say that I find Nobuo Uematsu to be highly overrated. I mean, yeah, he gave us One Winged Angel, and yes, he was responsible for the Advent Children OST, but other than that his music just doesn't move me (which is my primary gauge for how much I like music). And, since everyone else added this:

Weird Al
    Post edited by Rooster on
  • Nobuo Uematsu's earlier works are MUCH better than his later ones.
  • edited October 2006
    Omg fuck me, I never replied to this freaking thread. Here's what I like.

Japanese Music
    Gackt / Malice Mizer
    L'arc~en~ciel
    Moi Dix Mois
    Do as Infinity
    Nahoko Kakiage (she's so... Bjork)
    Akino Arai

Metal!!11zomg
    Kamelot (my favorite band of all time)
    Epica
    Kiuas
    Apocalyptica
    Therion
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Blind Guardian

Stuff that is neither Japanese nor Metal
    Vanessa-Mae (another all-time favorite, crazy violin)
    Voltaire
    Vienna Teng
    Frou Frou
    Andrea Bocelli
    Enigma
    Loreena McKennitt
    Better than Ezra
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on