This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DCBS August Pre-Orders

edited August 2008 in Manga/Comics
I am relatively new at the pre-order thing. Placed my first order in July for about $50 of stuff. I was hoping for about the same each month. For August my first run through ended up being $150! Here is my current shortened list. Some of the cuts were pretty agonizing, so I may add some back in.

AMORY WARS II #5 (OF 5) The Coheed & Cambria comic. The only comic that makes me not wait for the trade.
DOKTOR SLEEPLESS TP VOL 01 ENGINES OF DESIRE (MR) Warren Ellis plus an interesting subject matter should make it worth the $18 even though I haven't really heard anything about this series.
WARREN ELLIS CRECY GN (APR073424) (MR) More Warren Ellis and a really cool 14th Century war story.
WE CAN STILL BE FRIENDS GN (C: 0-1-2) Popular German graphic novelist, first work translated into English, romance and heartbreak. Sounds good to me.
LEFT BANK GANG GN (MAY063133) (MR) This and the next item will be my first Jason books.
SSHHHH GN (NEW PTG)
PRESIDENTIAL MATERIAL JOHN MCCAIN *Special Discount* This and the next item are irresistible to me. I love political fluff and the covers are great too.
PRESIDENTIAL MATERIAL BARACK OBAMA *Special Discount*
SEPTIC ISLE ONE SHOT (MR) (C: 0-1-2) Story sounds great and it is a one-shot.
DELAYED REPLAYS GN (MAR083998) (MR) (C: 0-1-2) I loved Liz Prince's first book, 'Will You Still Love Me If I Wet The Bed?' This looks like more of the same goodness.
MAN WHO LOVED BREASTS (MR) More than just a wonderful title (I hope).
TEZUKAS BLACK JACK PX HC VOL 02 (C: 0-1-2) Essential.
MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA GN (C: 1-1-2) My favorite anime. I'm hoping the manga is worth reading.

Did I miss anything essential?

Comments

• AMORY WARS II #5 (OF 5)The Coheed & Cambria comic. The only comic that makes me not wait for the trade.
    Is this actually good? I'm a fan of the band but have never bothered with the comic.
  • Get a better job?
  • AMORY WARS II #5 (OF 5)The Coheed & Cambria comic. The only comic that makes me not wait for the trade.
    Is this actually good? I'm a fan of the band but have never bothered with the comic.
    I'm not sure if it is excellent, but as a fan of the band, I quite enjoy it. The albums tell the story of the comics. Definitely an interesting read.
  • Check this shit out!

MPD PSYCHO TP VOL 07 (MR) (C: 0-1-2)
    SPIRIT TP VOL 01 *Special Discount*
    EXTERMINATORS TP VOL 05 BUG BROTHERS FOREVER (MR)
    FABLES TP VOL 11 WAR AND PIECES (MR)
    GIRL WHO COULD RUN THROUGH TIME VOL 02 (C: 1-0-0)
    WALKING DEAD HC VOL 04 (MR)
    ANNIHILATION CONQUEST TP BOOK 01 *Special Discount*
    BONE STUPID STUPID RAT TAILS TP (O/A)
    ROSE SC
    BOYS TP VOL 03 (MR) (C: 0-1-2)
    SSHHHH GN (NEW PTG)
    GI JOE A NEW BEGINNING #0 *Special Discount*
    ATOMIC ROBO DOGS OF WAR #3 (OF 5)
    ESSEX COUNTY TP 03 COUNTRY NURSE
    TEZUKAS BLACK JACK PX HC VOL 02 (C: 0-1-2)
    ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES #1 (OF 3) *Special Discount*
    MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA GN (C: 1-1-2)
    BAT MANGA SECRET HISTORY OF BATMAN IN JAPAN SC (C: 0-1-2) *Special Discount*
  • w00t, Essex County Volume 3 is coming. Hope it is as good as the first two. And Killer Tomatoes. Also, didn't you get a volume of MPD Psycho last month too?
  • w00t, Essex County Volume 3 is coming. Hope it is as good as the first two. And Killer Tomatoes. Also, didn't you get a volume of MPD Psycho last month too?
    Yeah, I should check to make sure I'm not accidentally ordering doubles.
  • GIRL WHO COULD RUN THROUGH TIME VOL 02 (C: 1-0-0)
    Wow this had an alternative title, does the girl still jump or does she run in the manga? Because I the movie was called "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time".
  • Wow this had an alternative title, does the girl still jump or does she run in the manga? Because I the movie was called "The Girl WhoLeaptThrough Time".
    This is what happens when you license out different parts of the same property to different people. If the Japanese were smart they would license all of the Girl who Leapt Through Time stuff (manga, movie, merch, etc. ) to one company. Instead, they give it out piecemeal. The result is inconsistent translation and ineffective marketing.
  • Check this shit out!

BAT MANGA SECRET HISTORY OF BATMAN IN JAPAN SC (C: 0-1-2) *Special Discount*
    I know it is twice the price, but you should definitely consider purchasing the hardcover edition. I went to Chip Kidd's panel at Comic-Con and this book looks awesome. The hardcover is going to have a 32-page Chinese Batman story that is not in the softcover. Maybe that isn't worth double the price, but I pre-ordered the hardcover at Amazon. It is a bit cheaper than DCBService. link to the Hardcover at Amazon
  • I know it is twice the price, but you should definitely consider purchasing the hardcover edition. I went to Chip Kidd's panel at Comic-Con and this book looks awesome. The hardcover is going to have a 32-page Chinese Batman story that is not in the softcover. Maybe that isn't worth double the price, but I pre-ordered the hardcover at Amazon. It is a bit cheaper than DCBService.link to the Hardcover at Amazon
    If it was just a harder cover, I would have skipped it, but extra content? Why didn't someone tell me?