This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Official: Thread Necromancy is OK!

RymRym
edited August 2008 in Forum Stuff
Often, when an old thread is resurrected, several of you will complain that this was somehow against the rules and admonish the person who committed the deed. I just want to clarify that "thread necromancy" is not only allowed but encouraged. The stigma against it on other forums is unjustified, and it servers a real purpose. It is perfectly allowed, so do not complain when it happens.

Comments

• To repeat the joke, real necromancy is also ok. If someone is dead, who are they to complain if you want their animated skeleton to keep you company?
  • What about necrophilia? Is that OK? God I hope that's OK...
    Before we go forward with this, do we want this to be the thread of necrophilia jokes or not? We have aplenty.
  • Dead baby jokes?
  • To repeat the joke, real necromancy is also ok. If someone is dead, who are they to complain if you want their animated skeleton to keep you company?
    Unless your name is Herbert West, in which case it's probably best not to mess around with necromancy...
  • The stigma against it on other forums is unjustified, and it servers a real purpose.
    You forget that the vast majority of internet forums contain a significant number of imbeciles who'll find some justification for reviving a year-old topic just to type some variant of "lol".
  • The stigma against it on other forums is unjustified, and it servers a real purpose.
    You forget that the vast majority of internet forums contain a significant number of imbeciles who'll find some justification for reviving a year-old topic just to type some variant of "lol".
    Who cares how it's bumped? It adds more discussion to the forum, which is always positive (especially in a small community).

Also, Scrym, make sure you sticky this thread/add this to the forum guidelines so we don't have to constantly resurrect this thread.
  • Imagine what would happen if I went through every thread from the beginning of this forum and posted "lulz, that's cool".
  • Also, Scrym, make sure you sticky this thread/add this to the forum guidelines so we don't have to constantly resurrect this thread.
    No, there are too many stickies already. I'll re-do the stickies when we get back from PAX.
  • Imagine what would happen if I went through every thread from the beginning of this forum and posted "lulz, that's cool".
    That would be gay. However, the problem has nothing to do with the thread necromancy aspect and far more to do with the "lulz, that's cool" aspect.
  • edited August 2008
    I do not mind thread necromancy. It just bothers me when people create a new thread that is covered under/exactly like a previous thread.
    EDIT: As for the above-mentioned necrophelia, my husband and I have an ongoing necrophelia joke. So I say "Good for her!" and only one man laughs.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I do not mind thread necromancy. It just bothers me when people create a new thread that is covered under/exactly like a previous thread.
    Hence, why we should actually ENCOURAGE thread necromancy. Don't make a new topic; revive the old one and continue the discussion.
  • Hence, why we should actually ENCOURAGE thread necromancy. Don't make a new topic; revive the old one and continue the discussion.
    The only stipulation I have for this is that they MUST read the thread before the revive it.
  • Hence, why we should actually ENCOURAGE thread necromancy. Don't make a new topic; revive the old one and continue the discussion.
    The only stipulation I have for this is that they MUST read the thread before the revive it.
    And not post something useless. I'll personally whine about thread necromancy if the post that revived the thread is stupid and has almost nothing to do with the topic. That is what I would label thread necromancy, any useful discussion is just a continuation of the thread.
    Necrophilia is not Ok. It can give you Necro AIDS :(
    ~_^
    The more you know.
  • edited August 2008
    That would be gay. However, the problem has nothing to do with the thread necromancy aspect and far more to do with the "lulz, that's cool" aspect.
    Which is exactly why Rym's statement that the stigma against it on other forums is unjustified is erroneous because that's just what a sizable number of people on mid to large-size forums do. They revive ancient threads solely for the purpose of saying stupid shit. I honestly don't give a rat's ass if the thread's from the beginning of time. What matters if there's an actual contribution. According to Socha, my example would count as a contribution. See where I'm going with this?
    Post edited by One Sin on

Whenever a topic is unearthed from the tombs of Front Row. This card has to be tapped.
  • Whenever a topic is unearthed from the tombs of Front Row. This card has to be tapped.
  • Necromancy....a fancy word for making zombies.

"Zombies" Part 3 Please?

"Zombies" Part 3 Please?
    It all comes back to zombies. :P

"Zombies" Part 3 Please?
    In my ethics class we always said "It all comes back to whores." (Pronounced Whooahz). Thus: It all comes back to zombie whores.

"Zombies" Part 3 Please?
    In my ethics class we always said "It all comes back to whores." (Pronounced Whooahz). Thus: It all comes back to zombie whores.
    I agree
  • edited December 2009
    In my ethics class we always said "It all comes back to whores."
    This week, On Ethics with Frank Miller...
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Mmmmmmmmmmm. Necromancy is so delicious. I found this thread doing images searches for FRC peeps. Weird, eh?
  • Thread necromancy actually is delicious, and I would say that this wildly different attitude was a big factor in why I decided this was a forum worth joining (rather than just occasionally checking out the podcast threads as a lurker)
  • Macaroni necromancy is the evilest.
  • Macaroni necromancy is the ebilest.