This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080826 - Bionic Commando: Rearmed

edited August 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the new and amazing Bionic Commando: Rearmed. In the news, the Magic Burner is now available, and Gleemax is no longer available.

Scott's Thing - Fantastic Contraption
Rym's Thing - End of Hitler no Fukkatsu

Comments

• I forget where online I originally learned this (I haven't done much WotC since, oh, 1998), but this is apparently the origin of the name 'Gleemax'.

"Gleemax the mascot is actually borne from one of the WotC fan base's inside jokes: The community has long suggested an alien presence has been pulling the strings of the hobby company, elevating them to 400-pound gorilla status for reasons beyond human comprehension." from http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.42855

I have seen this stated elsewhere so I guess it's correct.
  • Aw man, this game is so, so, so, so excellent.
  • When I visited Seattle about two years ago the mass transit was just fine and easy. Of course you can walk pretty much everywhere in Seattle, this is what I did mostly. The buses run in straight lines all day long and there is always a bus stopping that you can jump on and it will stop at every block. I think it cost me something like 50 cents to ride the bus, but I was returning from a micro brewery so perhaps I paid more. I would not rent a car, just take a taxi or bus from the airport then walk and ride the buses around the city. I am certain you will find the mass transit system very easy.
  • I am certain you will find the mass transit system very easy.
    I'm just perpetually disappointed every time I travel ever since I got used to the New York transit system. ^_~
  • It also depends on where you guys want to go in Seattle. If it's just the Space Needle/Seattle Center/EMP/Sci-Fi Museum, you can take the Monorail from Westlake Center. It's $4 round trip. There are certain areas around downtown where the transit is free. I honestly don't know which parts. You can find more information on their website.
  • Man the downloadable games lately have been so awesome...BC: Rearmed, Galaga: Legions, Braid, The Last Guy. Soon we'll have Wipeout HD and Megaman 9.
  • edited August 2008
    On the Fantastic Contraption game, has anyone solved the "Tube" level in any way? I'm a bit stuck. Or not stuck enough (you'll know what I mean with that if you've got to that level).
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • On the Fantastic Contraption game, has anyone solved the "Tube" level in any way? I'm a bit stuck. Or not stuck enough (you'll know what I mean with that if you've got to that level).
    I've beaten all the levels.
  • Gleemax:

Gleemax is supposedly an alien brain in a jar that controls WotC.
    I heard of gleemax.com before when I was still very actively playing MTG, but I in general think that social network sites suck and never signed up.
  • I'm really liking BC:Rearmed. The biggest thing I have against it is the lack of any online co-op or multiplayer for any of the versions. Oh well the game still kicks major butt!
  • I'm really liking BC:Rearmed. The biggest thing I have against it is the lack of any online co-op or multiplayer for any of the versions. Oh well the game still kicks major butt!
    Yeah, I was surprised when the co-op and multiplayer for the PC was local only. I was really wondering if the XBox or PS3 had online, but I guess not.
  • On the Fantastic Contraption game, has anyone solved the "Tube" level in any way? I'm a bit stuck. Or not stuck enough (you'll know what I mean with that if you've got to that level).
    I've beaten all the levels.
    Me too now. I played through the whole game before looking at how other people did any of the levels. That way I could keep being creative, even though my ideas may have been done before. Other players' designs are pretty amazing, though some of my solutions seem to be unique.

Phew!
  • Me too now. I played through the whole game before looking at how other people did any of the levels. That way I could keep being creative, even though my ideas may have been done before. Other players' designs are pretty amazing, though some of my solutions seem to be unique.
    Yeah, once you look at other people's designs, you become "tainted", and you will end up just copying other people instead of inventing things on your own.
  • edited August 2008
    Here is my tube... even after looking at a load of other designs I didn't find one anything like it: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=945247

And out of all of them, this one took me the longest: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=948645
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • You know, I wanted to play the demo today, so I downloaded it and the Castle Crashers demo. I made the mistake to play CC first. It sucked me in like a black hole.
    I'll let you know once I broke Castle Crashers' spell and actually played the demo.

Oh, and Fantastic Contraption was also pretty niced. I played it while listening to the podcast.
  • edited August 2008
    Major Nelson had an interview with the producer of Bionic Commando Rearmed, thought this might interest you all.

Link.
    Post edited by Yaksha on
  • Here's my tube.
    Here's my back and forth.
    I'm particularly proud of this one,and this one
    I like the catapult ram! And instead of a wheel I went with guts.
    In this one I didn't scroll to the right to actually see the U-bend so probably put in too much effort.
    I think I'm most proud of this one because I wanted to make the object stop and come to rest in the target zone, not just pass through it. No reason, I just wanted the extra challenge!
  • edited August 2008
    I'm a bit of a late comer to the Fantastic Contraption craze, but..

I didn't use guts, or a star.
    Climber: I'm proud of its grip mechanism.
    tumble of win
    Didn't bother to make this one stop., but in the youtube speedrun there's a far, far simpler one than yours that stops.
    My back and forth. Similar conceptually to just about everyone's really, but the implementation is different.
    Down under - chainapult.
    Unpossible is a real bitch.

Crazy 4:30 speedrun from teh internets (not mine of course):

Also, here's a good challenge: do as many of the levels as possible without using the powered (clockwise / anticlockwise) wheels.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2008
    I've been playing the old Bionic Commando and it is hard as hell. Thank god for save state.
    Edit: I'm stuck on level 21, "U-Turn" for Fantastic Contraption. Never mind, U-Turn Solution.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on